Author Topic: Husking Corn in the Store  (Read 9991 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Husking Corn in the Store
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2012, 12:00:42 PM »
Our kitchen is hardly larger than yours but we successfully shuck corn at home with minimal mess. 
The procedure is quite simple and very satisfying.  Of course, this only works if you get corn with an inch or two  of stalk on the bottom. 

1) with one hand, firmly grasp the stalk end of the ear. 

2) with the other hand, firmly grasp corn silk and a good portion of husk. 

3) pull down sharply. Husk and silk will come down in a fairly coherent mass and close to half the ear should be visible. 

4) break off the stalk and pull up sharply.  Most of the rest of the husk should come off with that motion. 

If you try this method, you can shuck an ear of corn inside the sort of flimsy plastic bag that the grocer provides. 

Yes, there will still be small, light bits of husk and bits of tassel to be removed.  These can be easily
 handled with a cheap, plastic corn brush and a Dust-Buster.  The plastic bag can be thrown into the trash with all the corn huskings inside it.   

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2012, 11:36:52 PM »
...Coming from a farm background, I've always known the importance of freshness in corn.  At my uncle's house, my aunt used to get the pot of water boiling, and then we'd race out to the field behind the barn and pick corn, husking it as we tore back to the house and got it into the water as quickly as possible.  Oh, my Lord, there's nothing like it!...

My dad grew up on a farm in Minnesota and most of his extended family still does.  I remember corn still warm from the sun.  It took about 10 years for my taste buds to forget the wunderfulness, and to tolerate what I can get down here. 

Iris

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2012, 05:44:30 AM »
In the grocery stores where I'm from most corn is sold already shucked or partially shucked. I'm wondering if that is an Australian thing...

Yeah, that's my (Australian) experience, too. I actually hunt for corn with the leaves still on because I cook it in its husk in the microwave. Seals in the moisture and is absolutely delicious. So, even if I lived in the US I *definitely* wouldn't be husking in the store.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2012, 01:09:16 PM »
In the grocery stores where I'm from most corn is sold already shucked or partially shucked. I'm wondering if that is an Australian thing...

Yeah, that's my (Australian) experience, too. I actually hunt for corn with the leaves still on because I cook it in its husk in the microwave. Seals in the moisture and is absolutely delicious. So, even if I lived in the US I *definitely* wouldn't be husking in the store.

I soak the corn with husk in the sink for a few hours, then grill on the top rack of the BBQ.  Makes for very juicy corn b/c it steams in the husk. 

MOM21SON

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2012, 03:52:44 PM »
It never occured to me to husk in the store until I saw the large bins stating it.  So much easier for me.  I have never ever seen a half husked ear thrown back in the bin.  EVER.

Brisvegasgal

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2012, 03:12:59 AM »
Thanks to sparksals post I'm going to have to look for unshucked corn now...yum!

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2012, 12:44:24 PM »
Thanks to sparksals post I'm going to have to look for unshucked corn now...yum!

Make sure you soak it in water for a couple hours so the husk is nice and wet.  Doesn't take too long on the top rack.

MrTango

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2012, 04:49:38 PM »
I prefer to do the husking at home as well.  If I'm grilling, I'll roast the corn on the grill and husk it right before serving.

doodlemor

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 07:52:26 PM »
I was taught by a farmer to check the stem area of the corn for freshness.  You can tell if the corn is freshly picked if the stem area is still pale and not dried.  It starts drying when the corn is picked, and is very shriveled by the next day.

The corn that comes already shucked at our store is usually out of season stuff from somewhere like CA.  I've never seen anyone shucking the homegrown stuff at the store, but then I buy ours at a farm stand.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 08:59:52 PM »
I think a lot of stores put out receptacles in self defence because a lot of people were just shucking the corn and leaving the remnants in the display bin and/or all over the floor.  So the original people who started this trend were definitely rude.

People now using the supplied receptacle?  Not rude.

That's why we did it. I'd much rather replace a big plastic bag every night than clean up piles of damp, molding husks all day long. People also snap the florets off broccoli and leave the stalk, snap the stalks off celery and leave the hearts, etc. I don't miss produce!

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2012, 09:05:35 PM »
No shucking here, but that's because the easiest & most delicious way to grill or roast corn is w/ the husk on!

350* oven, 30-40 minute.....heaven!!! Once cooked, the husk & strings slide right off.