News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 02:35:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I ruined the cake - fix eeet? :(  (Read 9618 times)

Alida

• Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
Re: I ruined the cake - fix eeet? :(
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 04:38:10 AM »
I'm really not sure about boxed cakes, but... take those tasty crumbles and layer them with fruit and whipped cream - voila!  Looks like you MEANT to do that!

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 11:06:42 PM »
Something else about using cooking sprays -- if you're using them to grease a pan, you must be generous.  A light misting won't do the trick.

My SO (an excellent baker) reports that the parchment or wax paper is the way to go if you want a guaranteed perfect separation.  Greasing with butter and a light dusting with flour is second best, and a heavy application of cooking spray is third.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

bopper

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 11:54:03 AM »
Yes, use the Pam with Flour for cake pans.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 01:42:13 PM »
I'll only use spray under duress.  When I bake, I pull out the Crisco and flour.  I haven't had any problems since doing that.

Years ago, I used Pam.  Well, one of my co-workers dubbed my cake 'the Collasium after'.  It was a chocolate Bundt with a ring of fudge.  Just all stuck to the pan in one corner.  Ever since the Colliseum cake I have used Crisco and either flour, cocoa or cake mix with great results.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

gjcva1

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 06:48:44 PM »
definitely use the shortening and flour in the cake pans, or the spray containing flour, not just plain PAM.  if you're baking a chocolate cake, then either use cocoa in place of the flour or some of the cake mix.  you can also brush the cooled layers with a pastry brush get rid of excess flour.

i'm thinking Alton might have left out a step.  i've never heard of keeping the cake in a pan for an hour after coming out of the oven.  we've always left the layers in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then inverted on a cooling rack for an hour until cooled.  i think angel food cake is the exception though...you leave that one in the pan until it's cool. 

edited to add that a crumbly cake, combined with fresh or canned fruit and whipped cream is yummers!!!!  kinda like a version of triffle.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 06:52:39 PM by gjcva1 »

42_42_42

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2007, 02:06:54 PM »
As a professional cake baker and decorator here are 2 things that you MUST do in order to have the cake come out without it sticking:

1-use PAM with flour or Baker's Joy or grease and flour the pan
2-cool for 10 minutes in the pans only and then turn them out and let them cool the rest of the way

My DH and I are avid Alton Brown fans and you must have misheard or misunderstood because cakes should NEVER be left to cool in the pan for one hour!

Edited to say:

Cakes should not be assembled and frosted on the cooling rack. I use a cake turn-table for this, but you don't have to invest in one if you don't make cakes frequently. Assemble and frost cake on the cake plate or on a cardboard cake circle. If you want to make sure you don't get frosting on the cake plate, place strips of wax paper just under the bottom layer of cake, so that they cover the exposed plate. When you are finished frosting, pull the strips of wax paper away to reveal the nice clean plate underneath.

Also, before assembling your cakes, they must be levelled so that you have an even surface. Baking your cakes at 325 instead of 350 will help them rise and bake more evenly, so you will have less to cut off when you level them. Make sure your cakes are completely cooled (I usually wait 2-3 hours to ensure they are cooled all the way through) before levelling, torting, frosting, or moving.

It also sounds like your frosting was too thick or stiff.

To address some of the other comments:

Yes, you can handle and move a cake with pudding in the mix. In fact, I add an entire box of pudding mix to every boxed cake I make. You just have to handle the cake properly (that is, gingerly), after-all, it's cake, not a frisbee.

NEVER EVER use wax paper in the oven!!! You can line your pan with parchment paper but NOT wax paper. They are NOT the same thing!!!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 02:18:25 PM by 42_42_42 »

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 06:16:30 PM »
My DH and I are avid Alton Brown fans and you must have misheard or misunderstood because cakes should NEVER be left to cool in the pan for one hour!

I think that must have been cooling time before frosting and not resting time in the pan.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2007, 06:35:52 PM »

NEVER EVER use wax paper in the oven!!! You can line your pan with parchment paper but NOT wax paper. They are NOT the same thing!!!

I know they're not the same thing, but why shouldn't you use wax paper?

zainabzks

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2007, 07:56:32 PM »
Wax paper melts in the oven. Trust me.  ::)

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2007, 08:09:14 PM »
I've not had a problem using it to line the bottom of my cake pans, though.  I wouldn't use it for anything else in the oven.

klm75

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2007, 12:21:36 PM »
Definitely grease AND flour.  Pam even makes a spray for baking that's a combination of the two.  Tip for chocolate cakes:  melt some butter and mix it with cocoa powder and use that to brush the inside of your pan.  That way, the dark cakes don't come out with white flour stuck to them. 

Also, the cooling was a problem.  Cool no more than 10-15 minutes in the pan then remove them to a rack to cool completely.  Other than that, you did great!  :)

My thoughts exactly.

I great thing to do with broken cake is to mix it with canned fruit, pudding and whipping cream.

BittyB

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2007, 12:37:37 PM »

I think that must have been cooling time before frosting and not resting time in the pan.

That's what I've been thinking as I've been reading the thread!  The end part went a bit faster than the beginning so I think I MUST have gotten those switched.  There was a lot of information to take in since I don't normally make cakes. 

G'sMom

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2007, 04:44:26 PM »
First, if I have to use a box cake mix, I add one packet of the same flavor pudding to the mix. It makes it really moist   :-*
Second, I NEVER use Pam when baking, even if it calls for it, because I've run into similar scenarios.  I always grease with shortening then flour. I bake depending on when the toothpick comes out relatively clean--plus I have an electric oven which typically takes less time to cook and has a tendency to burn stuff! So if the box says 35 minutes, I time it for 20 then go from there with the toothpick every so often. Also, I never use dark pans, I try to use lighter, no stick pans. Once my pans start to get "cucky" (grasshopper-ism) I get rid of them and get new. Desserts were meant to be pretty, nothing pretty ever came out of a cucky pan ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 04:53:06 PM by jaysgrasshopper »

G'sMom

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2007, 04:48:28 PM »
As much as I hate to disagree with Alton, I think an hour cooling in the pan might have contributed to your problem. Ten or fifteen minutes in the pan, then onto a rack usually works for me. It also keeps the cake from getting too soggy (nobody likes cakesweat).
cakesweat!!!!!!!  you are SO right!!   I disagree with Alton there, as well. I find if I can hold my hand in the center of the cake, and it feels cool and firm, then it's ready to come on out and play.  Whether that be 10 minutes or 20 minutes. When flipping cakes out of pans, I use this great cutting board (it's from Pampered Chef, it's white, and nylon or something or other). I actually HATE cutting on it, the food slips everywhere, but this makes it perfect for cakes! So I cover the cake pan with this board and then flip and then tap down on the top of the cake pan and presto! comes out perfect every time (in addition to my shortening and flouring method). Same for killer brownies!

42_42_42

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2007, 07:11:35 AM »
I've not had a problem using it to line the bottom of my cake pans, though.  I wouldn't use it for anything else in the oven.

As long as you're fine with melted wax in your cake...