Author Topic: Wedding Classic: Possibly Fictional Titanic Bride  (Read 98953 times)

TheaterDiva1

Re: Wedding Classic: Possibly Fictional Titanic Bride
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 03:20:44 PM »
I find it unbelievable that people actually do have Titanic themed weddings at all. I mean the idea of planning a wedding after any fatal disaster is one thing but...

Assuming the wedding and reception end much better than the actual Titanic voyage, maybe that could be a symbol of a happy start to a marriage?

I'm all for period weddings - or any theme, as long as they're special to the bride and groom, and not just some random attempt to be original.  Maybe for the couple's first date, they saw Titanic in the theater, so the sentiment would be there (though the bride in this story did go way overboard - pun intended).

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2007, 12:03:45 PM »
I'm all for period weddings - or any theme, as long as they're special to the bride and groom, and not just some random attempt to be original.  Maybe for the couple's first date, they saw Titanic in the theater, so the sentiment would be there (though the bride in this story did go way overboard - pun intended).

Rule of thumb for "period" or "theme" weddings-don't require the guests to buy special outfits and accessories or otherwise do things that you wouldn't normally ask of a wedding guest. I think it's okay to have the wedding at a particular venue (if it's not too out of the way for the guests and can accommodate their normal needs) and incorporate wedding-oriented traditions from that particular period or theme, but that's as far as I would go.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

twinkletoes

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2007, 12:51:58 PM »
Firstly, I'm not a fan of the 'themed' weddings.  I think it's silly when the bride and groom get dressed up as a Civil War bride and groom, or as Star Wars characters, or anything else.  Who is really getting married - Tim and Susie, or "Hans" and "Princess Leia"?  (Although, there are some who will argue the traditional formal attire for a wedding is a 'costume' for a more laid-back couple, but you know what I mean.)

Secondly, I do think there is a grain of truth in this story - I agree with the poster who posits that the writer might have a cousin she didn't like, so she exaggerated this story.  C'mon, do you think we'd even have this discussion if the wedding took place in, say, the local VFW lodge?

Gyro Widget

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2007, 05:32:09 PM »
Who is really getting married - Tim and Susie, or "Hans" and "Princess Leia"?

I've often wondered why some people felt compelled to dress as characters for their wedding.. I mean, why the wedding?  I know its a personal choice, but there are many other occasions that one can dress like Elvis and Marilyn Monroe... like Halloween. 

But like I said, its personal choice.  However it really makes me cringe to think about the guests who show up to weddings and were subjected to the whole bridal party being dessed like Trekkies at a convention: http://store1.yimg.com/I/uglydress_1902_20493632  I mean, wouldn't that feel..... awkward for everybody? 

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2007, 06:05:12 PM »
But like I said, its personal choice.  However it really makes me cringe to think about the guests who show up to weddings and were subjected to the whole bridal party being dessed like Trekkies at a convention: http://store1.yimg.com/I/uglydress_1902_20493632  I mean, wouldn't that feel..... awkward for everybody? 

Oh that pic is a hoot.... makeup yourself like a Klingon but still have your white wedding dress.

If you are going to do the Trek wedding, you all really need to do the costume thing.

Just as silly is the girl who wants a "Renassiance Wedding" and has all of the party in costume. EXCEPT HER ....... she is in a strapless wedding gown, with a form fitting skirt.  Not even one that has a "flavor" of the era she wants for her wedding.
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2007, 07:09:26 PM »

Oh, my!!

And my FIL thought the "Miami Vice" tux he had to wear was too much
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Blurgle

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2007, 12:32:17 AM »
However it really makes me cringe to think about the guests who show up to weddings and were subjected to the whole bridal party being dessed like Trekkies at a convention: http://store1.yimg.com/I/uglydress_1902_20493632  I mean, wouldn't that feel..... awkward for everybody? 

That wouldn't bother me - there's nothing 'bad' about dressing as Star Trek characters. I wouldn't do it, but it's their wedding. I'd worry more about the guests who felt so awkward about being at a wedding that didn't go according to their preconceived notions that they had to complain about it to others. I do feel that *that* is bad etiquette.

I just don't see why that is more awkward than wearing a baby blue tuxedo. It's not my style, but it's not offensive (except to those who are anti-Star Trek, and that is *their* problem, not the couple's).

twinkletoes

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2007, 10:03:16 AM »
If a couple were to get married assuming the characters of James Bond (he's in a spiffy tux), and she's the arm candy (she's in a nice cocktail dress), it would still bother me that these people are basically playing 'pretend' when they're getting married.

I've also heard of guests being invited to dress up for the ceremony in particular costumes.  I don't think I could do that - I don't feel I'd be respectful of the solemnity of the occasion by wearing a chicken costume, you know?

Paper Roses

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2007, 12:20:31 PM »
I have some favorite quotes from this story:

"She was my cousin and he was someone I had once loved." - Gag.

"William swept me up in a circle and planted one on my forehead." - What does that even mean? 

"The way he looked at me told me he still had feelings for me." - Think about it.  In real life, at least in my experience, no one ever "knows" what someone thinks.  They might hope, guess, or get a feeling, but they never state it as fact.

She "assigned" gifts.  Sorry, I just don't buy that one at all.

I know this one has been beaten to death, but I can't resist.  They find a ship they can refurbish to replicate the Titanic.  And cruise line is absolutely willing to cancel all plans, existing reservations and everything, and tie this ship up for not just the couple of weeks of the wedding festivities, but also all the time needed in advance to completely refit it.  Oh, and I suppose afterward they put it back to they way it was, which probably took another several weeks at least. 

And enough people to fill the ship cancelled all their plans with what, 2 months' notice at the most, to participate in this debacle.  Everyone's schedule is just that flexible.

Even if William was worth "Millions," I would think it would take a lot more to accomplish this.

William is kind, worthy, noble, etc. etc.  But he slept with "Jennifer" fairly soon after they met.  Even if he had known her somewhat from before, if he was as perfect and as much of a gentleman as the poster is trying to claim he is, wouldn't he have too much respect for even himself to do that?  I mean, I know guys are guys, but she's trying to pass him off as something more than that.

My favorite:  I love how at the end, her grandmother sends them a "small gift" with a note saying that Jenn has "shamed herself into the ground and is really pregnant now without knowing who the father is."  Sorry.  If Granny was sympathetic enough to take her in (despite the fact that she could have easily sold the "8,000 square foot mansion" (and all the other gifts she had received) and put herself up in grand style somewhere), Granny wouldn't have volunteered that information to them.  I doubt she would have answered the invitation at all. 

This person strikes me as a high school kid who has read way too many romance novels, and obviously not done her research. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 12:27:05 PM by Paper Roses »
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2007, 12:32:10 PM »
LOL at the "planted one on my forehead" comment, too. I know she means a kiss, but the way it is worded is really ambigous and silly-looking. Planted what on her forehead-a flower? A punch? A finger-ping?

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2007, 12:44:04 PM »
I've been thinking that tragedy themes shouldn't just be limited to weddings. How does "A DOnner Party Thanksgiving" sound?

ccnumber4

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2007, 12:47:08 PM »
ROFL, imagining the finger-ping!

Urbanfairy

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2007, 12:54:04 PM »
I come from Southampton UK. pretty much ALL cruises start from Southampton, and the most expensive hotels in Southampton Don't have gardens.
My brother also used to work for a large cruise company and I KNOW that no cruise ship would redecorate their staterooms to look like maids cabins from 1912. It isn't cost effective and as the last occupants leave the room at around 9am, and the new occupants would be settleing in at around 4pm, WHEN are they going to redecorate?? (cruise ships don't stay in Southampton port overnight due to the cost, therefore the ship arrives in port at 6am, disembark the guests, and get the next guests on in the afternoon, so that they can set sail at 6pm)

erin_ann_b

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2007, 02:17:25 PM »
I've been thinking that tragedy themes shouldn't just be limited to weddings. How does "A DOnner Party Thanksgiving" sound?

Sounds tasty  ;)  Personally I am throwing a Pearl Harbor Luau, but whatever.

This story is obviously fake.  I don't mean embellished, I mean FAKE.  Sooooo ridiculous.

As far as theme weddings, well, its not my cup of tea.  However, if couples want to do that, I guess it is their prerogative, no matter how odd.  I just ask that, please, choose a better theme.  A wedding based on an event where thousands of people were tragically killed doesn't put me in a "happy place."  I heard of someone (like a friend's cousin's mother's uncle or some nonsense) that wanted to have a wedding based on Romeo and Juliet.

Um, do you know what Romeo and Juliet was even about? 

But its Shaaaaaakespeare so it must be romantic right?  ::)

Paper Roses

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2007, 08:09:47 PM »
If a couple were to get married assuming the characters of James Bond (he's in a spiffy tux), and she's the arm candy (she's in a nice cocktail dress), it would still bother me that these people are basically playing 'pretend' when they're getting married.

I've also heard of guests being invited to dress up for the ceremony in particular costumes.  I don't think I could do that - I don't feel I'd be respectful of the solemnity of the occasion by wearing a chicken costume, you know?

Well, maybe if the groom dressed up as Colonel Sanders . . .
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.