Author Topic: Wedding Classic: Possibly Fictional Titanic Bride  (Read 97470 times)

willow08

• Back on the caffeine wagon
Wedding Classic: Possibly Fictional Titanic Bride
« on: January 05, 2007, 09:17:21 AM »
This is for Luxie who requested the story on the suggestions thread. I also believe if you search for "Titanic" in the google function, you'll find the letter to Miss Jeanne, where another Ehell reader picked this story apart as fiction, noting the very clear villain, heroine, dramatic build-up and happy ever after.

My story is one that could not have gotten any worse. It's long and worth the read. You'll see.

My cousin was to be married in September of 2000. She announced her engagement to a man I will call William. What a surprise! He is an ex of mine. We parted on good terms since we realized we had grown to be basically friends, and over the years lost touch.

Jennifer has always been greedy beyond all reason. She broke up with a boyfriend in high school because he could not afford to buy her a-get this-Corvette convertible at 16. Since then, she somehow made herself desirable by being so "selective" in her choice of boyfriends, and let it be known her sexual prowess in bed was something to envy. All before age 18. One of her criteria was that any boy who wanted to date her had to "bid" for her with a preselected gift. Always something expensive. Her first selection was a particular ring she wanted, a one-carat diamond. Whoever wanted to date her had to buy it for her. We live in a fairly rich town, okay, very rich, so it wasn't long before one young man decided to "buy" her. Now why her parents didn't object came up only recently-if she married rich, she would be able to support them.

This continued for several years. She even got a house from a past boyfriend while in college, a "mini"-mansion. Over 8,000sqft. The boyfriend tried suing for it back, but the judge said that it was a gift, plain and simple. She reminds me of a courtesan in the olden days, where it was a thing of prestige to bed a certain lady, often at a very substantial cost. That's Jennifer. In our small, rich town, it's known that those who can be with her have money, and who doesn't like to show that off?

Anyway, back to her engagement.

William designed something, which I will leave unknown because he is a good person and I don't want him embarrassed (and it's nothing technological either), and made millions. He had left town before her "transformation" and met her while he was on a vacation to Italy. Fate. I'll get to the meaning of that later, and how I know these details. She "charmed" him, and he proposed before his visit to Milan was over. It was an extended trip, and she was on it with another boyfriend, who was trying to "win" his way into her panties. She had not had sex with him, but did with William. Within the month she claimed to be pregnant, and he is too much of a man than to run or question his obligations. So he did what he felt best-proposed. They left Italy together soon after that.

(Side note-she brags about how she did not let her other boyfriend know she had left, and how the poor thing was frantic trying to find her.)

We are at June 2000 now, and they decide to marry before the baby is born. They decide on September.

When I first saw William again, before I knew of his fortune, something sparked in me, but he was my cousin's fiancť. And it pained me that he was going to marry someone like her. But she is my cousin, and he is someone I once loved.

She told everyone that she wanted a Titanic wedding, complete with the final dress, the Heaven dress, as her wedding dress, which she expected her talented sister to make for her, and guests in Titanic fashions, held on a ship in the Atlantic. A private ship crossing the Atlantic. She wanted a replay on the movie basically. And all guests were to wear Edwardian clothing ONLY. William was at a loss, but did not want his child to grow up in a home with one parents and the other on visitations only,as he had growing up. She wanted him to finance it, but for her parents to contribute at least $50,000, "like good parents should." I don't know what her parents were thinking at this point. But they mortgaged their house with the intent of filing bankruptcy and living off their son-in-law. Jenn made clear that she expected large gifts.

So plans started underway, and William had little choice but to pay the accommodations and transportation for over 200 people. When he tried telling her he wanted to offer to help she had a fit, saying any money guests had to spend on that is less that they'll spend on a gift. So he relented, to calm her down as he did not want harm to come to his baby. We were all still expected to furnish period-correct garb, no matter the cost.

And she pretty much forced me into being in charge of the correctness.

But wait-the bad stuff hasn't even come yet. Here is the true beginning.

At the beginning of September she picked her bridesmaids, and told her sister to add those dresses to the "order," but the order one Heaven dress and four of the dress called the Dinner dress was too much, and Lilly had to ask her design school friends to help, who did so for their friend. Lilly paid for the materials as her gift to her sister. I was one of maids. Her maid of honor. I had the honor of being terrorized. I planned her bridal shower, as elaborate as my budget could afford. I spent more than I could truly afford because she pulled her old trick-having a fit and causing concern for the baby. I did not want the child to suffer for this, so I complied.

She requested a copy of the guest list, most of which she gave me to begin with. I just added relatives. She went through the list without telling me and sent follow-up cards, disinviting some people, and assigning gifts for the rest to buy. Yes, assigning them!

At the shower, she was angry because it wasn't elaborate enough and the food wasn't exactly what she hoped, even though she gave no input, saying it was my work. She sulked around, insulting people for not wearing period clothes, which I did not plan on. These poor people would be wearing them on the ship! When she opened her gifts, she started throwing things because some of the guests deviated from the "assigned" gift to what they could afford. She stalked out of the hall and broke a window on her way to hailing a cab, leaving many gifts unopened and all the guests in shock. We recovered and gathered the gifts up, the shower ending earlier than planned. Among things unopened were a crib from Little Miss Liberty of Beverly Hills our grandmother bought (those things are more than the typical monthly salary!) and crystal. We took everything to her home, and were lucky the housekeeper was there, or maid as she says and William hired and pays for. She we left the gifts in the front hall. The next day I drove over to see if she was okay. But I did not stop. All the gifts were shattered and broken on the lawn.

About an eighth of the guest list backed out, the rest hanging on for the cruise we were assured. The remaining time before we left she bossed everyone around, costing her several friendships.

Once in England, we were to be there one night before departing for the ship the next day. However she was already there as planned. In that time she found new dresses she wanted everyone to wear. And she expected us to foot the bills. Like we had money to spare after our wardrobes for the trip. I ran out of the hotel room so hurt and cried and tried to get lost so she couldn't find me. At the elevator, I nearly hyperventilated. The doors opened and there stood....William.

I tried brushing away my tears. I couldn't let him see me crying. We'd talked briefly here and there the last couple of months, and I still had feeling for him, which I doubted he returned. But he looked as haggard as I. He asked if I wanted to go to the courtyard and take a breather, and of course I did.

For several minutes we just sat in silence. He spoke first, and began spilling how he did not want to marry her, but his child needed a two parent household. The conversation turned over the next couple of hours to several topics. He said he'd buy the dresses since everyone was already out so much, and since he could afford it it was the least he could do, and asked the store name. But the way he looked at me told me he still felt something for me. I jumped up, stated the name, and ran back to the elevator, up to my room.

At about six that evening, my roommate and I were napping, exhausted from the redeye. But there was a knock that woke me up. It was him. He had gone to the store and asked to buy the dresses on hold for the X party, and he was delivering them. My roomie cried out of relief. She just couldn't afford another dress.

The next morning we boarded the ship and were given cards with our staterooms on them. The bridesmaids, myself included, were actually given rooms made over to look like maids' quarters on Titanic. With as little space as well. The guests, with few exceptions, were placed in "second-class" and "steerage," depending on how much she liked everybody. The wedding was the next night. The current night was the rehearsal.

The rehearsal was actually fun, and went as one should. She wore the Jump dress and I wore a fashion I'd seen on a website of old fashions. Some of the guests were dressed more period than others, but only those in the first-class and "servants" quarters were allowed this night. The rest ate in respective dining rooms. The night drew to a close and I thought the good would come, if tonight were an indicator. How very wrong I was.

The next morning dawned bright and early. I was not the only one with the idea to walk to deck to watch the sunrise. Jennifer slept until just a couple of hours before the ceremony, which was fine with all of us. We played old games and talked, and in general acted like we were in 1912. Until Jennifer woke up.

We knew she had when she stormed out of her stateroom and onto the deck, looking for her sister. She began screaming at her, as she had decided only a week or so before that she wanted her dress to be Swarovski crystal, not the glass beads her sister bought. She screeched on about her sister ruining her wedding day and that she is out of the party, and invited the first woman she was to replace her. Lilly ran off in tears, the rest of us again in shock. How I wished William could see this and avoid the biggest mistake of his life. She snapped at me to get inside and help her dress. I followed, swearing that after this was over I was disowning her (which I did).

She began on how the ship wasn't big enough, and her shoes too plain, etc. Nothing satisfied her. Her greed had reached such a peak that nothing would do. I did her hair, hoping to have time to do my own, and set her Swarovski tiara on her head (she loves Swarovski). Not good enough. She swept her hands through it, knocking the tiara to the floor. I tried again, still not good enough. She yelled at me to get out and get her mother. I only hope her mother was spared the yelling.

The next time I saw her I was dressed and outside the doors while waiting for her to get there so the ceremony could start. She arrived, and I will admit she looked gorgeous, and at ease finally. He mom whispered into my ear the words Sleeping pill in her drink. YES! Maybe she'd be calm now! Jenn was drowsy and the wedding was a replay of the rehearsal, lovely.

Comment from Miss Jeanne: Regardless of how badly someone is behaving,  giving them a "mickie" to drug them is highly unethical, dangerous and probably illegal.

But the reception......

The medication wore off and she began swearing like never before, at her new husband, us, the band. She had such a sinister look on her face as I'd never seen. I went to the deck to take some air, where there were several others, her husband as well. I stood by him and he told me the cost of this affair (I nearly fainted) and how he wishes he had never met her, because he could tell he'd be miserable. But his concern was, as always, his baby. We who were out there remained for some time, and regretted going back.

In the meager half hour she was drunk off her rocker, standing by the cake, with a bottle of whisky almost gone. William and I, as well as several others, ran to get. She was about to fall on the cake. William was in disbelief, and asked her why she would hurt the baby. Here's the worst of it. She responded, hiccupping:

"There never was a baby. I just wanted a rich hot guy to marry me."

I don't know which went through me first or harder-that he will probably divorce her and I could pursue him, or how hurt he must be. Then she turned on me, calling me a whore, that she saw us from her room in the courtyard talking and how I couldn't have him. The band stopped playing, the guests stood in the usual shock. Nothing should have surprised us by now. But something did. She threw her arm through the cake and started to fall. No one caught her, but she did bellow. Then William....laughed.  Laughed!

And exclaimed his intent to get this marriage annulled, how relieved he was, and let is all come out about how he only married her for the baby. She tried biting back about getting money from him, but not so fast. They aren't from a community property state. But this story has a good end.

William swept me up in a circle and planted one on my forehead. When Jennifer came to being sober the next morning, she felt like the biggest bacon-fed knave, so embarrassed she stayed in her room the rest of the trip, refusing to see anyone but her mom.

The annulment was filed within days, and granted quickly. Jennifer went to stay with her grandma some states away, leaving William to pursue me, or me him. We were married ourselves in April. In a normalish wedding with a Titanic undertheme (who says she's the only one who loves Titanic?) in which guests could dress as they'd like. But did their old clothing ever come in handy! She was sent an invitation. But her grandma (this is the one we do not share through our moms, who are sisters) sent a short letter with a small gift saying Jennifer has shamed herself into the ground, is truly expecting now without knowing the father, and that she declined.

Fauxpas0729-03

« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 11:17:42 AM by willow08 »
Icing is the greatest invention known to man.  It's edible glue.  How awesome is that?- Ralphie May

Hawkwatcher

Re: Wedding Classic: Possibly Fictional Titanic Bride
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 11:51:46 AM »
I agree that it is probably fiction because it does read like a romance novel.  I also wonder how many self-made millionares would get married without having their future spouse sign a prenuptial agreement.

Luxie

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 03:57:48 PM »
Thanks, Willow08, for posting this!  I actually found it myself last night by using the search function.  And I LOVE that letter in the mailbag that tears this one apart.  My opinion is that it's the most fictional piece ever written, but for those of us who love overblown cheese and romantic cliches it is a hilarious read. 

smarterthanu213

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 01:36:09 AM »
Help! I want to read that letter, but I can't find it!  ??? I searched for it in the search bar on etiquettehell.com. Could someone possibly put a link to it in here?

willow08

• Back on the caffeine wagon
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 11:52:17 AM »
I found the letter! Edited some mineutia for length. The reviewer's comments are in blue

LOVE the recent additions! I spent DAYS reading through all the great wedding stories, but thereís one that just rings false to me. Itís the Faux Pas of the Year Titanic Golddigger story. I donít doubt the author used some true elements of a bad Bridezilla experience, but the bulk of it reads like pure fantasy. I studied film and folklore in college, and it is absolutely brimming with both cinematic framing devises and classic fairy tale plot elements.

My cousin was to be married in September of 2000. She announced her engagement to a man I will call William. He is an ex of mine. We parted on good terms since we realized we had grown to be basically friends, and over the years lost touch.

Jennifer has always been greedy beyond all reason. She broke up with a boyfriend in high school because he could not afford to buy her a-get this-Corvette convertible at 16. Since then, she somehow made herself desirable by being so "selective" in her choice of boyfriends, and let it be known her sexual prowess in bed was something to envy. All before age 18.

One of her criteria was that any boy who wanted to date her had to "bid" for her with a pre-selected gift. Her first selection was a particular ring she wanted, a one-carat diamond. Whoever wanted to date her had to buy it for her. We live in a fairly rich town, okay, very rich, so it wasn't long before one young man decided to "buy" her. Now why her parents didn't object came up only recently-if she married rich, she would be able to support them.

[This sounds like a classic Ďcomeuppanceí set-up. Itís Wicked Stepsister and stepmother from Cinderella.]

This continued for several years. She even got a house from a past boyfriend while in college, a "mini"-mansion. She reminds me of a courtesan in the olden days, where it was a thing of prestige to bed a certain lady, often at a very substantial cost. That's Jennifer. In our small, rich town, it's known that those who can be with her have money, and who doesn't like to show that off?

[The small town where everyone knows everything about each other - the standard set-up for a tale of humiliation-as-punishment. Iím a city person, honestly, so I donít know much about everybody-knows-everybody small towns, but Iíve always found moneyed people to be somewhat self-isolating.]

Anyway, back to her engagement. William designed something, which I will leave unknown because he is a good person and I don't want him embarrassed (and it's nothing technological either), and made millions. He had left town before her "transformation" and met her while he was on a vacation to Italy. She "charmed" him, and he proposed before his visit to Milan was over. It was an extended trip, and she was on it with another boyfriend, who was trying to "win" his way into her panties. She had not had sex with him, but did with William. Within the month she claimed to be pregnant, and he is too much of a man than to run or question his obligations. So he did what he felt best-proposed. They left Italy together soon after that.

[Heís a perfect self-made man, a worldly, romantic traveler and a gentleman tricked by evil stepsister. He is, shall we say, a prince. (Literally? IS he Prince William?) Iím also suspicious of the time frame - OK, I know technically you can go from not preggers to preggers in two weeks, but Isuspect the time frame nonetheless.]

We are at June 2000 now, and they decide to marry before the baby is born. They decide on September.

When I first saw William again, before I knew of his fortune, something sparked in me, but he was my cousin's fiancť. And it pained me that he was going to marry someone like her. But she is my cousin, and he is someone I once loved.

[True love rediscovered. She loved him before he had money, so itís pure. Love vs. Money/Her vs. Bride - the central conflict is already set up.]

She told everyone that she wanted a Titanic wedding, complete with the final dress, the Heaven dress, as her wedding dress, which she expected her talented sister to make for her, and guests in Titanic fashions, held on a ship in the Atlantic. She wanted a replay on the movie basically. And all guests were to wear Edwardian clothing ONLY. William was at a loss, but did not want his child to grow up in a home with one parents and the other on visitations only, as he had growing up. She wanted him to finance it, but for her parents to contribute at least $50,000, "like good parents should." I don't know what her parents were thinking at this point. But they mortgaged their house with the intent of filing bankruptcy and living off their son-in-law. Jenn made clear that she expected large gifts.

So plans started underway, and William had little choice but to pay the accommodations and transportation for over 200 people. When he tried telling her he wanted to offer to help she had a fit, saying any money guests had to spend on that is less that they'll spend on a gift. So he relented, to calm her down as he did not want harm to come to his baby. We were all still expected to furnish period-correct garb, no matter the cost.

[Ever been on a ship capable of staging the wedding she says is being staged? Not small. Not cheap. Not bookable for private parties, in another country, in two months.]

At the beginning of September she picked her bridesmaids, and told her sister to add those dresses to the "order," but the order one Heaven dress and four of the dress called the Dinner dress was too much, and Lilly had to ask her design school friends to help, who did so for their friend. Lilly paid for the materials as her gift to her sister. I was one of maids. Her maid of honor. I had the honor of being terrorized. I planned her bridal shower, as elaborate as my budget could afford. I spent more than I could truly afford because she pulled her old trick-having a fit and causing concern for the baby. I did not want the child to suffer for this, so I complied.

She requested a copy of the guest list, most of which she gave me to begin with. I just added relatives. She went through the list without telling me and sent follow-up cards, dis-inviting some people, and assigning gifts for the rest to buy. Yes, assigning them!

At the shower, she was angry because it wasn't elaborate enough and the food wasn't exactly what she hoped, even though she gave no input, saying it was my work. She sulked around, insulting people for not wearing period clothes, which I did not plan on. These poor people would be wearing them on the ship! When she opened her gifts, she started throwing things because some of the guests deviated from the "assigned" gift to what they could afford. She stalked out of the hall and broke a window on her way to hailing a cab, leaving many gifts unopened and all the guests in shock. We recovered and gathered the gifts up, the shower ending earlier than planned. Among things unopened were a crib from Little Miss Liberty of Beverly Hills our grandmother bought (those things are more than the typical monthly salary!) and crystal. We took everything to her home, and were lucky the housekeeper was there, or maid as she says and William hired and pays for. She we left the gifts in the front hall.  

The next day I drove over to see if she was okay. But I did not stop. All the gifts were shattered and broken on the lawn.

[This episode is supposed to illustrate her total evilness. Itís not just that she seeks security with a rich man, she is, in fact, a bad person to everybody. Her greed canít be sated, and it is publicly displayed (on the lawn.) Plus - howíd she hail a cab in a small town?]

Once in England, we were to be there one night before departing for the ship the next day. However she was already there as planned. In that time she found new dresses she wanted everyone to wear. And she expected us to foot the bills. Like we had money to spare after our wardrobes for the trip. I ran out of the hotel room so hurt and cried and tried to get lost so she couldn't find me. At the elevator, I nearly hyperventilated. The doors opened and there stood....William.

[Cue romantic music.]

I tried brushing away my tears. I couldn't let him see me crying. We'd talked briefly here and there the last couple of months, and I still had feeling for him, which I doubted he returned. But he looked as haggard as I. He asked if I wanted to go to the courtyard and take a breather, and of course I did.

[Now Iím wondering what hotel in England they could be in. a) The ones that have courtyards or gardens are usually guest houses too small to have elevators and b) she hasnít said where theyíre departing from. London? Harwich? Southampton? Thereís a huge difference.]

For several minutes we just sat in silence. He spoke first, and began spilling how he did not want to marry her, but his child needed a two parent household. The conversation turned over the next couple of hours to several topics. He said he'd buy the dresses since everyone was already out so much, and since he could afford it it was the least he could do, and asked the store name. But the way he looked at me told me he still felt something for me. I jumped up, stated the name, and ran back to the elevator, up to my room.

[Does this passage sound at all realistic? In real life, people donít tend to remember details like who speaks first in an awkward silence, or sprint away when someone looks at them *that way*. People awkwardly try to wiggle out of uncomfortable situations with their exís - not fly romantically across a garden.]

At about six that evening, my roommate and I were napping, exhausted from the redeye. But there was a knock that woke me up. It was him. He had gone to the store and asked to buy the dresses on hold for the X party, and he was delivering them. My roomie cried out of relief. She just couldn't afford another dress.

[Where Bridezilla is cruel to underlings, the Prince is kind and worthy.]

The next morning we boarded the ship and were given cards with our staterooms on them. The bridesmaids, myself included, were actually given rooms made over to look like maids' quarters on Titanic. With as little space as well. The guests, with few exceptions, were placed in "second-class" and "steerage," depending on how much she liked everybody.

The wedding was the next night. The current night was the rehearsal.

[Not just hired a ship, but redecorated? Who did this, when, and how?]

The rehearsal was actually fun, and went as one should. She wore the Jump dress and I wore a fashion I'd seen on a website of old fashions. Some of the guests were dressed more period than others, but only those in the first-class and "servants" quarters were allowed this night. The rest ate in respective dining rooms. The night drew to a close and I thought the good would come, if tonight were an indicator. How very wrong I was.

The next morning dawned bright and early. I was not the only one with the idea to walk to deck to watch the sunrise. Jennifer slept until just a couple of hours before the ceremony, which was fine with all of us. We played old games and talked, and in general acted like we were in 1912. Until Jennifer woke up.

We knew she had when she stormed out of her stateroom and onto the deck, looking for her sister. She began screaming at her, as she had decided only a week or so before that she wanted her dress to be Swarovski crystal, not the glass beads her sister bought. She screeched on about her sister ruining her wedding day and that she is out of the party, and invited the first woman she was to replace her. Lilly ran off in tears, the rest of us again in shock. How I wished William could see this and avoid the biggest mistake of his life. She snapped at me to get inside and help her dress.

She began on how the ship wasn't big enough, and her shoes too plain, etc. Nothing satisfied her. Her greed had reached such a peak that nothing would do. I did her hair, hoping to have time to do my own, and set her Swarovski tiara on her head (she loves Swarovski). Not good enough. She swept her hands through it, knocking the tiara to the floor. I tried again, still not good enough. She yelled at me to get out and get her mother. I only hope her mother was spared the yelling.

[Sheís so evil, even the satisfaction of her greed doesnít make her happy. Sheís. Just. Evil. Itís very cinematic= Long shot - narrator works on hair. Medium shot - Female Dog bride Female Dog, sweeps hair. Quick close up - narrator tries to catch tiara. Close up - tiara landing on floor. Thud. Close up - narrator looks at bride, sad. Medium shot - bride continues Female Dog. Close up - narrator looks wistfully out window.]

The next time I saw her I was dressed and outside the doors while waiting for her to get there so the ceremony could start. She arrived, and I will admit she looked gorgeous, and at ease finally. He mom whispered into my ear the words Sleeping pill in her drink. YES! Maybe she'd be calm now! Jenn was drowsy and the wedding was a replay of the rehearsal, lovely.

But the reception......

The medication wore off and she began swearing like never before, at her new husband, us, the band. She had such a sinister look on her face as I'd never seen. I went to the deck to take some air, where there were several others, her husband as well. I stood by him and he told me the cost of this affair (I nearly fainted) and how he wishes he had never met her, because he could tell he'd be miserable. But his concern was, as always, his baby. We who were out there remained for some time, and regretted going back.

[REALLY iffy timeframe between drug (mixed with alcohol!?) takes affect and drug wears off.]

In the meager half-hour she was drunk off her rocker, standing by the cake, with a bottle of whisky almost gone. William and I, as well as several others, ran to get. She was about to fall on the cake. William was in disbelief, and asked her why she would hurt the baby. Here's the worst of it. She responded, hiccupping:

"There never was a baby. I just wanted a rich hot guy to marry me."

[The big reveal! Big, public, unlikely. The big public "reveal" is a cornerstone of urban legends, not to mention soap operas and most drama in general. But in real life...letís face it, they donít happen. And when they do happen, they happen in situations where everyone isnít up to speed.

(Bystanders donít know whatís going on, so they just keep walking. I.e. Big movie kisses in the public square donít result in passersby clapping.) No matter how drunk she is, if sheís so cold and calculating, sheíd never say so. And if golddigging was so part of her nature, sheíd never see it as golddigging, any way. But no, this story requires the villain to be shown beyond villainy to a gasping public.]

I don't know which went through me first or harder-that he will probably divorce her and I could pursue him, or how hurt he must be. Then she turned on me, calling me a whore, that she saw us from her room in the courtyard talking and how I couldn't have him. The band stopped playing, the guests stood in the usual shock. Nothing should have surprised us by now. But something did. She threw her arm through the cake and started to fall. No one caught her, but she did bellow. Then William....laughed. Laughed!

[Not only does the bride get the "big public reveal" as evil, she gives us the "big public reveal" of the narrator as her enemy (and therefore, the embodiment of good.) No one else takes a verbal beating - the narrator gets to stand alone in front of the crowd as the "good" one. So after everything, this really boils down to narrator vs. bride, good vs. evil, love vs. greed.

And then Queen Female Dog gets a pie in the face, and all those who feared her laugh at her.]

And exclaimed his intent to get this marriage annulled, how relieved he was, and let is all come out about how he only married her for the baby. She tried biting back about getting money from him, but not so fast. They aren't from a community property state. But this story has a good end.

[Pre-nup? Nah. The villain gets nothing but punishment.]

William swept me up in a circle and planted one on my forehead. When Jennifer came to being sober the next morning, she felt like the biggest bacon-fed knave, so embarrassed she stayed in her room the rest of the trip, refusing to see anyone but her mom.

[...and then their pure, true love gets a big public reveal, too. (Do people ever really suddenly sweep girls off their feet?) And then they sail off into the sunset. No mention of what anyone on the boat did for the, by my count, 6-8 days of travel left. I doubt this Bridezilla could keep quiet that long.]

The annulment was filed within days, and granted quickly. Jennifer went to stay with her grandma some states away, leaving William to pursue me, or me him. We were married ourselves in April. In a normalish wedding with a Titanic undertheme (who says she's the only one who loves Titanic?) in which guests could dress as they'd like. But did their old clothing ever come in handy! She was sent an invitation. But her grandma (this is the one we do not share through our moms, who are sisters) sent a short letter with a small gift saying Jennifer has shamed herself into the ground, is truly expecting now without knowing the father, and that she declined.

[#1. The narratorís Titanic fetish in re. her own wedding makes me extremely suspicious of the earlier Titanic wedding as a whole. It seems to be her wedding by proxy - sheís the hero of it, after all; she wants the Edwardian stage set completely, with the boat and the costumed guests, but doesnít want to have her character force it on others. So she gets both - her Edwardian wedding, but without the pushiness and guilt.

In a fairy tale sense, they are essentially one wedding - even the costumes stay the same. Bridezilla is pushed out of the picture, the prince takes narratorís hand and then flash forward (think the end of a Disney movie - they kiss and the camera pulls back to show theyíre now at their own wedding) and itís their wedding and theyíre married. Bells ring, doves fly, etc.

Honestly, after that earlier nuttiness over those dingdangity dresses, why would she, or especially Prince William, ever want to see them again?

Final fairy tale plot point: Villain is exiled, evil character traits are reversed for poetic justice (the girl who sleeps with no one sleeps with many; the gold digger is forced to live with grandma - what happened to her 8,000sq.ft. mini-mansion???), humiliation is total. She even admits and accepts her humiliation (by proxy) - something people NEVER do. "Oh, no, I canít come because I once embarrassed myself in front of you." Suuuure. And now, the pat, crisp moral of the story...]

Mis Jeanne's Reply
Mailbag 0211/04

It does read like a good novel, doesn't it?  Sometimes I can detect a fake story, sometimes not.  When I use a story in the media or in a book, I do obtain written grants from the contributor so I know exactly who wrote it and some idea to its veracity.  I don't think I was able to contact this storyteller which leaves a great deal of doubt as to the story's reality.

Mailbag 0211/04
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 11:19:18 AM by willow08 »
Icing is the greatest invention known to man.  It's edible glue.  How awesome is that?- Ralphie May

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 12:05:33 PM »
Doh! you beat meto the punch! I was jsut going to post the link and let them know it's the last letter on the page.  http://www.etiquettehell.com/Mail%20Bag/MailBag.htm

blue_bunny_paz

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 03:20:37 PM »
I must admit, I was doubtful about it. the truth can be far far stranger than fiction but I don't see why the bride would admit she had lied at that point. And the whole tacked on bit about finding romance? I can't quite believe it. And why would so many people have put up with this outragious behaviour for so long?

That and I'm sceptical you could find a ship suitable to do up as the Titanic for any ammount of money. It's not like we have them lying around. If they left from Liverpool I'd have liked it if the future couple discussed things sititng on the Yellow Submarine model while eating fudge from that nice sweetie shop on the docks. And if it's Southampton I can't think of many hotels nearby that would fit the bill.

It may be true, and I'm reluctant to accuse people of lying since some bizarre things have happened to me, but it seems more than a little fishy.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 10:19:32 PM »
All I can say is thank God the OP didn't have a dramatic and oh-so-Titanic sinking of the ship, saved by the magic groom who died for my love story. Now, let me go change out of my waders and back into my nightgown. My period nightgown...from my favorite movie..."The Godfather", complete with concrete slippers....
Nyquil's kicking in....
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Pinky830

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 02:16:32 PM »
There was a thread about this story on the old site, and someone posted something I found astounding. I was surprised so few people responded to it. She said that she was pretty sure she knew who had posted it-someone who posts a lot on costume-making sites, and is known for being a drama queen with a bizarre Titanic fetish.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 03:07:13 PM »
I find it unbelievable that people actually do have Titanic themed weddings at all. I mean the idea of planning a wedding after any fatal disaster is one thing but...

"Let's model the start of our new life together after the start of a doomed voyage..."

If I were invited to attend a Titanic themed wedding I'd have to decline because the hysterical laughter throughout the event would be rude.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 03:15:31 PM »
I find it unbelievable that people actually do have Titanic themed weddings at all. I mean the idea of planning a wedding after any fatal disaster is one thing but...

"Let's model the start of our new life together after the start of a doomed voyage..."

If I were invited to attend a Titanic themed wedding I'd have to decline because the hysterical laughter throughout the event would be rude.

That is what I feel, too. What else are would you be planning to at this wedding - have a staged sinking as well?? Would life rafts be included?

I also feel the way about some of these Civil War re-enactments weddings. I just don't understand them, although I'm not an expert. I saw one of those wedding reality shows once where they covered such a wedding. Before the ceremony, the groom and his groomsment went off on their own and engaged in a battle re-enactment where they was blood, bullets, and casualties. Then after the battle the wedding ceremony took place. So the whole fake story scenario was the groom had to leave his bethrothed to go fight in this deadly battle, but it was a short battle, so he could still come home and marry her as planned. The whole thing just struck me as very macabre, morbid, and tacky. A tragedy is a tragedy, no matter how long ago it took place. I certainly hope that in the future, there are no 9/11-themed weddings.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 03:55:53 PM »
One of hubby's stepcousins had that "My Heart Will Go On" song at his wedding. I looked at hubby when we were in the car and said "That song is about someone DYING!!!"
I think that I'm going to start the trend of Hindenburg weddings, you know everyone in thirties clothes, little fires burning on the tables....
Or maybe Lusitania theme, or Alamo.....

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 11:18:34 PM »
Why not a Hindenburg themed wedding? There's a lovely view from up there :P

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 12:26:15 AM »
Oh the humanity!! No open bar!!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 06:48:59 PM »
slightly OT, but not worth starting its own thread . . .

Some friends of mine got married right after high school - they were both very involved in music and band, so most of the service music was very refined.  The hymn they chose was very strange, though!  I don't remember the exact words (I wish I could find it), but the first three verses were about the singer's love being as strong as an old oak tree.  All well and good; nice romantic song.  Then the last two verses are about the tree dying and rotting, and how it turns out love stinks after all.  I have to think maybe they only knew the first few verses when they picked out the song . . . but they could have had us only sing the good parts!