Author Topic: When Online and Real Life Intersect  (Read 2980 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
When Online and Real Life Intersect
« on: August 04, 2012, 09:10:03 PM »
Lately I've been trying online dating, and it's going ok. Today I got a message from a guy who works in my building saying that recognized me from my profile and wants to take me for coffee. There's a few things on his profile that make me say this might not be a good match, but not enough to usually make me want to say no to a first date. However, we run into each other on a daily basis and I don't like the idea of dating colleagues (tried that once and never again), but on the other hand I don't want to have to explain why I said no or ignored his message the next time we're on an elevator together.

Advice? Should I give a white lie and say that I'm starting to see someone, which is kind of true in that I just had an awesome first date?

Raina

Re: When Online and Real Life Intersect
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 10:59:43 PM »
You said you don't want to have to explain why, but could you say something like "I'm flattered, but I prefer to keep my business and personal life separate." It gives him a clear reason why you won't date him and not something he can argue with.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 11:00:12 PM »
Tell him that you don't date people you work with.  That's mostly the truth, and completely understandable.

Oh Joy

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 11:04:54 PM »
You said you don't want to have to explain why, but could you say something like "I'm flattered, but I prefer to keep my business and personal life separate." It gives him a clear reason why you won't date him and not something he can argue with.

Yep.  Thank him, and tell him you don't date people you work near.  I can't see any reason to lie.

Just be prepared to have him ask you out again if one of you changes jobs.   :)