Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

fried pickles?

(1/3) > >>

Trisha:
I'm looking for a good easy to make fried pickle recipe. I was hoping someone would have one, since I hear they've been popular in the south for awhile. I'm just now seeing them once in a while at restaurants.

aline:
I have a couple:

Beer Battered Fried Pickles

Ingredients
2 (16-oz.) jars of your favorite dill pickle sandwich slices, drained
1 large egg
1 (12-oz.) can beer
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil
Ranch Dipping Sauce

Directions
1. Pat pickles dry with paper towels.
2. Whisk together egg and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl; add 1 1/2 cups flour, and whisk until smooth.
3. Pour oil to a depth of 1 1/2 inches into a large heavy skillet or Dutch oven; heat over medium-high heat to 375.
4. Dip pickle slices into batter, allowing excess batter to drip off. Fry pickles, in batches, 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Drain and pat dry on paper towels; serve immediately with Ranch Dipping Sauce.

and

Tempura Dill Pickles

Ingredients
1 (24-ounce) jar sliced kosher dill pickles
Vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup club soda, chilled

Directions
1. Drain pickles, reserving 2 tablespoons pickle juice. Press pickles between layers of paper towels. Set aside.
2. Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 370.
3. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir in club soda and reserved 2 tablespoons pickle juice, stirring just until combined. (Batter will be lumpy.)
4. Dip pickles into batter, letting excess drip off.
5. Fry pickles, in batches, 2 1/2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on wire racks over paper towels, and serve immediately.

Trisha:
Thanks! Does it matter if the pickles are warm or cold?

aline:
Hmm, not sure if it matters. I've always had them at room temperature (opening a new jar from the pantry), so I know that works well.

beakiebean:
Mmmmm...deep fried pickles. I'll be getting my fix at the State Fair on Tuesday.

I don't have a recipe that I use but I remember the ones at the fair have dill added into the batter and they are phenomenal!

Becca

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version