Author Topic: How to back out of a blind date without being rude  (Read 7437 times)

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Re: How to back out of a blind date without being rude
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
That's good!  I hope you all enjoy yourselves whether there's a romantic connection or not!
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

grannyclampettjr

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 09:46:23 PM »
I don't think there's anything wrong with backing out of a blind date.  If one just isn't in a datey sort of mood, I think it is kinder to cancel it, rather than have an awkward couple of hours where the other person is left wondering what they did wrong. 

Granted, I've been on some terrible blind dates.  So bad that I've ended the friendship soon after, as I just could not believe I was set up with such losers.  I don't do blind dates anymore. 

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 02:20:12 AM »
I'm personally of the opinion that it's OK to back out of any date for any reason. It's a little different from other social interactions, though I can't quite put my finger on why. I just don't see why anyone should have to go through with anything that makes them uncomfortable. I realize though, that this had been discussed before on this site, and that others have differing opinions.

Great that Brian agreed to a double date. I'm also one of those people who will never accept another blind date again. Unless it was a quick coffee meeting to ascertain mutual compatibility for getting to know each other further. Something with an easy escape route. Never agree to dinner and a movie, if dinner starts at 6 and the movie starts at 10. I speak from experience.

DavidH

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 01:36:39 PM »
Blind dates seem to have a lot of potential to be awkward, but I still think the person deserves some degree of consideration.  I think that this worked out well, since everyone agreed to reschedule,  On the other hand, once you agree to the date, I think that unless new information about the date comes up that makes cancellation necessary, then you should go through with it.

It just seems rude to cancel any social engagement for no real reason or because you just changed your mind or a better offer came up.  I don't know why a blind date would get less consideration than anyone else.  I think the key here is to not accept if you don't intend to follow through.