Author Topic: Is This Really So Strange?  (Read 7548 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Is This Really So Strange?
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2012, 10:05:17 AM »
I think it's sensible, not strange.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Mikayla

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2012, 03:28:35 PM »
Reading through this, what struck me was the disconnect between my behavior as a hiring person vs my behavior as an applicant.  I always send thank you emails, but I as a hiring person, it doesn't matter to me either way.  Hmm.....I hadn't realized that.

Actually, there was one instance where someone thanked me for an interview to be our admin, and it was so full of errors she quickly went from being one of my top 2 directly into the circular file.

June24

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2012, 03:58:25 PM »
I don't think it's strange at all. I graduated from college recently, and I sent thank you notes to all the post-grad positions that I interviewed for. It was recommended by our college advisers, and everyone I know did it.

grannyclampettjr

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2012, 10:00:53 PM »
My bosses have uniformly regarded it as strange and ineffectual.  As one regional manager put it, "if you are right for the job, the lack of a thank you note won't be detrimental.  And if you are not right for the job, a thank you note won't help."

All the thank you notes that I've seen have been from people who were not being considered at all. 

Just my experience...

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2012, 10:20:19 PM »
My bosses have uniformly regarded it as strange and ineffectual.  As one regional manager put it, "if you are right for the job, the lack of a thank you note won't be detrimental.  And if you are not right for the job, a thank you note won't help."

All the thank you notes that I've seen have been from people who were not being considered at all. 

Just my experience...

I think that's a very accurate and succinct way of putting it!  After all, the outcome won't be made determined on that point.

With the lady I just offered, her impressively succinct and well written email did make me think "Yep, we need her!" but I'd already formed that opinion from her original application and the interview, it didn't tell me anything new.   So I don't think it influenced the outcome at all.   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"