Author Topic: Multi-purpose guest room  (Read 1560 times)

Cupcake Fiend

• Yummy!
  • Super Hero!
  • "These are the days of miracle & wonder..."
Multi-purpose guest room
« on: August 11, 2007, 10:01:51 AM »
We don't have guests overnight often enough to have a dedicated "guest room".  We have one extra bedroom in our house that we use as a library/computer/craft room.  When we have overnight company, we pull out the air mattress and put it in that room.  Child guests usually bunk down in the boys' room.

My question -- when someone is staying with us for a few days, and we need to do something in the "guest room" (get/replace a book, use the computer, work on a project) is that okay?  Or is it rude because it's technically someone's room while they are staying with us?

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: Multi-purpose guest room
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 10:06:16 AM »
I don't know, but I have the same problem!  It is very awkward, isn't it?

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 10:10:20 AM »
While it is your house, for the duration of the guests stay it is their room.  I would ask them if they minded if I worked on a project/need to use the computer/etc before I just "barged" into "their room"

Of course you can always say that you need to work on (thing) and would they like to keep you company while you are doing (thing)

In and out to get/replace book would be ok IMO

Most people don't have a dedecated guest room.  So I would expect a little less privacy if I went to someones house - Stay out while I am in there - ask if it is going to be a long time (I might want a nap)
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

jassou

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 10:30:45 AM »
We have a similar room. I take out of the room whatever I might need for the duration of the stay of a guest. It's his room then. I would feel awkward if I stayed somewhere and people would continuously walk in and out getting stuff or working there, because there might be a bra of mine hanging over a chair or something.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 10:55:13 AM »
We, too, have a similar room, where the computer is.  As anyone can tell, I am on eHell a lot so this presents a problem.  We rarely have company, though, and when we do, I am very upfront with them.

I tell them we have very limited space and they will be staying in the room that I use for work, which I do. I let them know that I will be needing the computer at times, especially during the day. I let them make the choice if they want to stay with us or somewhere else. 

veryfluffy

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 11:15:41 AM »
Our guest room is what used to be, for the previous owners, the master bedroom. It has a king-size bed with a good pocket-sprung mattress, and a fantastic en suite bathroom -- great for guests because they don't have to wander the hallways and can perform their ablutions in private before emerging from their room. However, it also has two walls of built-in wardrobes, so I use it as my dressing room. The thing is that I like having people come and stay for one or two nights, in which case I get out what clothes I think I will need for the duration of their stay. But I wouldn't want anyone coming and settling in, so I am happy that they would feel like they were in my way after that, and that I needed to use the room. The only people who stays for more than two days are DH's mother -- and she needs to know that she is in the way, because neither of us can stand her visiting for very long (if at all!), and my mother, who doesn't mind at all if I come in to get a change of clothes once a day.

jassou

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 11:19:34 AM »
yes, I should add that: when the inlaws come and stay, they get our room in stead of the guest room, as our bed is more comfortable. In that case, I will knock and ask to come in and get my clothes from the room. It's too much hassle to get all our clothes out for that stay.

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 11:34:46 AM »
I don't know because I am in the same position. We have 2 bedrooms and I use the second one as my home office. When people need to stay overnight we put the air bed in their (it has a separate connected bathroom at least). Sometimes I do need to get stuff from there.....but I usually wait until everyone is out in the common areas, not when someone is just hanging out in there.

Hows that for unhelpful ;)

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 01:34:54 PM »
My feeling on that is that the room is theirs over normal sleeping hours (changing/naps/showering) but over the rest of the day, it is just part of the house.

So you shouldn't be using the computer or sewing at 10:00 at night or barging in at 7:00 am (unless you are bringing them tea), but during the day, it's fair game. I would warn them beforehand that you will be using the room during the day, so they can tidy up (I know I am more tidy if I know the hosts will be using the room) if they wish.

On the other hand, I still have a living room with a sofabed, so any type of guest room sounds fabulous.

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 01:51:22 PM »
I think that as long as the person isn't in there it would be ok to put things away, but if you needed extended time, like computer usage you should ask if they mind.