Author Topic: How to deal with Rude People Shopping  (Read 1916 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
How to deal with Rude People Shopping
« on: August 14, 2012, 11:49:20 AM »
My Grandma made me laugh at the weekend but it got me wondering whether.she was rude.

She and Random woman (RW) were waiting at a deli counter to be served. They each had a ticket. My Gtandma's number was.called. At the same time RW stepped forward. My Grandma explained it was her number but RW had none of it. She actually got in Grandma's face and said none too nicely that it was her number . Grandma pointed out to her "If you.had your ticket number the right wayround you would see it's my number..."

RW was apologetic after that.

Really was Grandma rude? The story made me laugh though.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Reason

Re: How to deal with Rude People Shopping
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 03:47:23 PM »
That's pretty funny. I don't think it's at all rude though to point out the facts.

The RW on the other hand was over the top.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 03:51:17 PM »
I guess you had to be there...

Hard to say if your Grandmother was rude or not; a lot of it would depend on tone.
Utah

Elessarion

• As I swam ashore, I dried myself to save time.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 04:03:27 PM »
My Grandma made me laugh at the weekend but it got me wondering whether.she was rude.

She and Random woman (RW) were waiting at a deli counter to be served. They each had a ticket. My Gtandma's number was.called. At the same time RW stepped forward. My Grandma explained it was her number but RW had none of it. She actually got in Grandma's face and said none too nicely that it was her number . Grandma pointed out to her "If you.had your ticket number the right wayround you would see it's my number..."

RW was apologetic after that.

Really was Grandma rude? The story made me laugh though.

Sorry, I'm more confused than amused. I don't understand what your Grandma meant by the bolded. Could you clarify?

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 04:08:55 PM »
Well Grandma is not sarcastic. Just honest! Knowing her she would have said it matter of fact. Yes I can see where tone comes into play here.

This is interesting. Is it out of line to suggest that many younger people - not all - would have responded sarcastically or PA? I like to think I would not, having learned a lot from these boards!!

I am interested to see what others think xx

PS Elassarion she pointed.out that RW had her ticket upside.down. Therefore a 9 could be.mistaken for a 6...

SiotehCat

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 04:11:10 PM »
If the woman genuinely thought that it was her turn, then I don't think she was rude. She made a mistake and she backed down when she her mistake was pointed out.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 04:26:16 PM »
She was rude for getting in her face. :o "I'm sorry that's my number" would have sufficed...I think anyway.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 05:17:39 PM »
I ended up in the middle of something on a plane that was similar to this.  The airline had changed the flight number in the middle of a flight and then landed at Phoenix, Arizona just long enough to drop me off (I was more or less told to grab my carry-on bag and run for it).  I ran to the bathroom, and came out to hear my name being paged to report to Gate X for final boarding.  I'd been in the airport less than 5 minutes total.  So, I got to the plane, and was put in the seat that corresponded to my seat number on my ticket, which turned out to be next to a loud snorer until the next stop, in Los Angeles.

In Los Angeles, a woman gets onto the plane, stops in front of me, says, "You're in my seat," and thrusts her ticket in front of my nose.  I got mine out, and because of the airline changing the flight number and the other gyrations I'd been through, she and I had the same seat number.  I called for the stewardess, and she offered the lady a different seat.  No, the lady was very insistent - she wanted the seat I was in because it was "hers."  I ended up changed to an empty row (nice!)  The ironic thing was, the lady wasn't traveling with the people who were next to her, so she got to sit next to the snorer all the way into Sacramento. 

SiotehCat

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 06:38:17 PM »
She was rude for getting in her face. :o "I'm sorry that's my number" would have sufficed...I think anyway.

I don't even really know what that means. Doesn't that just mean that she was too close?

It also doesn't sound like you were there. Maybe the lady was just trying to stand her ground.

Reason

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 09:25:28 AM »
I think if someone gets in your face you know it for what it is. It's an aggressive stance that's uncomfortably close backed by a usually hostile facial expression and unpleasant tone.

Even if Hollanda wasn't there and her grandmother told her about it, unless the grandmother is a compulsive liar, we have no reason to doubt her interpretation of the events.