Author Topic: Help w/2 wk. notice wording, want to sub/come back next summer?  (Read 1255 times)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for helping me solve this relatively minor issue!

Here is the story-
I have been "subbing" for a fellow teacher friend (Miss Theresa) all summer at a year-round education center.  Theresa will happily return in two weeks, but I would like to be an on-call sub during the school year.   Also, I would like to be considered for the same position next year, if there is an opening.

The job is two days a week.  I work T/Th and another "Little Learner's" teacher (Miss Penelope) works M/W.  No program on Fridays.  It is only for three hours.    :)

Penelope has been trained for working with bigger kids, and will go back to her after school programs/tutoring when school begins.  She likes the "Little Learner's" program, but she is better with bigger kids.

I have subbed on Wednesday three times this summer for Miss Penelope.

I know Theresa would call me during the school year if she needs a sub, but I may not be able to because my "real" job is as an almost full-time sub at the private school my children attend.

Not sure if Theresa will teach all four mornings, or if they are hiring another teacher to split two mornings each, or if Penelope will continue with the little kids, splitting two and two with Theresa.

Anyway, since this was a sub job understood to be summer only, do I still turn in a two weeks' notice?  How do I word it?  Also, how do I say, "please call me (preferably a day before) if you need a sub."  ?

How about this:

Dear Boss Man,

Please accept this as my formal resignation as teacher for the Little Learner's program, effective (date.)  I greatly appreciate all I have learned here and would be delighted to be an on-call substitute during the school year.

Also, please consider me if you need a teacher next summer for the same program. 

Thank-you for allowing me the opportunity to be a part of your educational center. 

Best regards,
Region Mom

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 03:25:49 PM by RegionMom »
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Re: Help w/2 wk. notice wording, want to sub/come back next summer?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 03:30:51 PM »
No, you don't put in a resignation for the end of a contract (which is what this sounds like - you were hired for a specified period of time and that time is done and your departure is due to the company's decision.)

I think you can write it as a goodbye/thank you/hope to see you again letter, so just take out the resignation portion and add something else.  Can't think of something just yet, sorry!

Dear Boss Man,

Please accept this as my formal resignation as teacher for the Little Learner's program, effective (date.)  I greatly appreciate all I have learned here and would be delighted to be an on-call substitute during the school year.

Also, please consider me if you need a teacher next summer for the same program. 

Thank-you for allowing me the opportunity to be a part of your educational center. 

Best regards,
Region Mom
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

Mikayla

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 03:39:29 PM »
The only thing I'm not sure about is that you're not really resigning, correct?  That sounds overly ominous or something.  It's more like your "term" is coming to an end. 

Also, I might change the order, because you can freely offer yourself for next summer, but the school year availability isn't quite as predictable.  What about something like this?

Dear Boss Man,

As you are aware, my summer participation in the Little Learner's program will be ending, effective (date.)  I have very much enjoyed my experience with this program.  I've learned a great deal, and I would be delighted to submit my name for consideration should you need a need a teacher next summer for the same program.

Additionally, for the regular school year, if you maintain a list of on-call substitutes, I'd love to chat with you or someone about this.  I have a flexible schedule and may be able to help out when subs are required.

Best regards,
Region Mom

Reason

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 03:58:30 PM »
No, you don't put in a resignation for the end of a contract (which is what this sounds like - you were hired for a specified period of time and that time is done and your departure is due to the company's decision.)

I think you can write it as a goodbye/thank you/hope to see you again letter, so just take out the resignation portion and add something else.  Can't think of something just yet, sorry!

Dear Boss Man,

Best regards,
Region Mom

Exactly what I was going to write.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 04:15:29 PM »
Thank-you!  I knew it needed just a tiny...something, and e-hell helped me find it!

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.