Author Topic: snacks for meeting  (Read 2244 times)

MeeLee

snacks for meeting
« on: August 15, 2012, 11:11:56 PM »
I am part of a recreational sports team, and we are planning an end of the year party. To plan, I offered my house for meetings. There is between 10-15 people coming over. What would you guys suggest I do for snacks and drinks? I don't think anyone is expecting any, but I thought about putting out a veggie tray. Any other suggestions?

EmmaJ.

Re: snacks for meeting
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 11:17:25 PM »
Assorted nuts, cheese slices (or a cheese ball) and crackers, deviled eggs, hummus and pita chips, salsa and corn chips.  Brownies and sugar cookies.  Coffee, soda, bottled water.  All these can be made or assembled ahead of time, and shouldn't cost an arm and a leg!

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 01:01:02 AM »
What time are they coming over? 

Isometric

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 01:13:26 AM »
You can really do anything you like! It would depend on time, length of meeting, etc.

Depending what time, it might just be appropriate to have tea & coffee materials, water, and some kind of cake/cookie (or healthier alternative, since it's a sports team!) If it's dinner time, my expectation of going to a meeting such as that would be everyone chips in to order pizza, I wouldnt expect the "host" to provide dinner, since it sounds like more of a "landing pad" place to plan your meetings.

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 03:31:46 AM »
POD to Isometric. You could have out a simple snack, such as the veggies or chips, etc. But if everyone wants more than that they should all be chipping in for pizza or whatever. I'd have some water and maybe coffee on hand as well.
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

MeeLee

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 08:14:26 AM »
They were coming over after dinnertime for a couple of hours.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 08:20:02 AM »
Then I want to change my answer  :).  Coffee and cookies would be very nice.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 09:12:37 AM »
If it's after dinner, then you don't need to provide much. Coffee, tea, water. Maybe soda if you feel like it and think people will drink it. I'd have one thing to eat, cookies or chips and salsa or veggies and dip.

If there are going to be several meetings, you might bring up the subject of snacks at the first meeting. Maybe say that you are willing to provide coffee, tea and water at all the meetings, but if people want snacks, perhaps you all could do a sign-up sheet and everyone take one meeting where they will be responsible for the food? It could be that most people won't want to eat after dinner. Or it could be that they all do. But you shouldn't have to pay for snacks for several meetings, when the purpose of the meeting is for the whole group.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 11:32:20 AM »
A sign-up sheet for snacks is a great idea, if you know your group well.  Otherwise, it can backfire.

Years ago, Mr. Thipu was on our co-op board.  The board met once a month at the apartment of one of the members in rotation.  It started off simply with coffee and cookies.  Then, the meeting menu began to morph. 

First, it was a cake.  Then, things escalated into canapés, and a cheese plate.  Next to come was sushi.  Then, baked Brie.  The meeting became a hostess competition. 

It was finally decided that this could not continue and the meeting menu went back to coffee and cookies. 

kudeebee

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 09:47:52 PM »
Usually when we have this type of meeting around here, the host has water or ice tea or coffee available.  Lots of people bring their own drinks with them.  Noone expects any snacks as we are getting together to plan, not socialize and want to keep it short, sweet and to the point.