Author Topic: Late summer menu  (Read 1123 times)

shygirl

Late summer menu
« on: August 20, 2012, 10:30:27 AM »
Hi!

Does anyone have good ideas for a few late summer meals?  For some reason, I can't think of anything.

What I've thought of already:

For breakfast/brunch - I can make apple crumble muffins.  Need a savory idea.

For lunch/dinner - spinach salad, something with tomatoes (maybe stuffed tomatoes?), crabcakes.

Need more ideas!!

Thanks.  I live in northeastern MA, and can get pretty much anything I want (in terms of food).

Amara

Re: Late summer menu
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 10:54:08 AM »
For breakfast/brunch; this is deeelicious:

Çilbir
2 1/4 cups thick, plain yogurt
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2-3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
4 extra-large eggs
1-2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon Turkish red pepper or paprika
A few dried sage leaves, crumbled
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Beat the yogurt with the crushed garlic. Spoon onto plates, spreading it in neat circle to create a thick mattress for the eggs. Serve at room temperature as a contrast to the hot eggs. (Alternatively, heat it by placing the dish in a cooling oven, or by sitting it in a covered pan of hot water.)

Fill a pan with water, add the vinegar to seal the egg whites, and bring to a rolling boil. Stir the water with a spoon to create a whirlpool and crack the first egg. As the egg spins and the white sets around the yolk, stir the water for the next one. Poach each egg for 2-3 minutes so the yolk is still soft.

Lift the eggs out of the water with a slotted spoon and place them on the yogurt.

Quickly melt the butter in a small pan. Stir in the red pepper or paprika and sage leaves, then spoon over the eggs. Serve immediately.

Note: I also added a bit of ground sage but left out the salt and pepper. Since I was cooking for one, I used one large egg, cut the rest of the ingredients to half or less the called-for amounts, and felt fully satisfied.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 12:35:47 PM »
* if it's not too hot - a grilled meal always reminds me of summer: roast vegetable kababs, sausages, burgers, chicken breast. add a few make ahead cold sides (bean salad, corn salad, etc) and watermelon for dessert.

* pasta - with smoked salmon and vegetable sauce

* bagels, smoked salmon, cheese, spreads, vegetable platter.

*eggs! scrambled, poached etc

* grilled cheese and cold soup (usually paired with tomato soup but for summer i would serve a cold soup like gazpacho or yoghurt/cucumber soup)

* chicken salad sandwiches.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 04:52:59 PM »
For brunch a tomato zuchinni strata would be summery.

Gazpacho for lunch with a crab meat salad or sandwich.

Grilled shrimp with sides of grilled vegetables.

For us, it's hatch green chile time so I always like making Calabacitos ad either a side to grilled chicken or as a vegetarian main.