Author Topic: Friend trying to get me into MLM opportunity. What to say?  (Read 6533 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Friend trying to get me into MLM opportunity. What to say?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 02:28:52 PM »
multi-level marketing

Like Amway, or other "selling" organization in which people at the higher levels earn a cut of what the people below them make. You make the most money if you recruit other people to work beneath you in the organization. So there's a big incentive to recruit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multilevel_marketing

O'Dell

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 02:41:29 PM »

I don't think someone who repeatedly refuses to listen to "no" is a sweet person.  Maybe sweet-acting some of the time, but boundary trampling is not sweet.

Ditto.

People not taking no for an answer is a big pet peeve of mine. "I've said no. I won't repeat myself." Rashea's "I need you to respect my no." is good if you want to take the edge off.

In some circumstances, if I want to be "nice" I'll say "No, I'm not interested. If I change my mind, I'll let you know." If they bring it up again, they get silence. If it's written correspondence it gets binned/deleted.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Roses

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
One add'l piece of advise...I'd block her from being able to see your friends on FB and see posts if you don't want her MLM'ing your friends. 

CaffeineKatie

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 03:11:49 PM »
aha--thanks for the explanation.

Jovismom

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 04:17:21 PM »
I'd unfriend her on facebook and, if she sends another MLM text, respond with a one word answer. No.  If/when she realizes that you unfriended her on facebook and emails/texts to find out why, simply tell her that you did so because you didn't want to be asked about MLM anymore and you didn't want your friends to be bothered with requests regarding MLM.  Tell her that you'd like nothing better than to friend her again on facebook but ONLY if she will respect your "no" answer and NEVER bring up MLM to you again.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 04:25:07 PM »
I think you have to say more than just "no".

"Friend, I have told you before that I am not interested. You need to respect my answer. I know there is alot of pressure on you to recruit, but I am simply NOT INTERESTED and never will be. Do not ask me about this again."

thedudeabides

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 05:05:44 PM »
"No, I'm not interested. Let it go,  please."

IMissItaly

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 08:56:26 PM »
I had a friend who also tried to get me involved in her MLM business. We hadn't spoken in quite some time and had been conducting our correspondence via email. I told her no, she persisted. Then she tried to get my sister involved (whom she had never met but was geographically close). I said NO. She tried one more time and I told her that she was in danger of losing my friendship over this issue. She backed off. I believe she's no longer in the business.

Goodnight Kiwi

• Formerly Lucylou
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 10:01:10 PM »
OP, I recall from a previous thread that you're already involved in Avon.  Couldn't you just tell your friend that you don't want to be selling for two different make-up companies?

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 10:17:52 PM »
What to say?
No.
No explanation, no apologies, no discussion, nothing except NO!
No is a complete sentence. No is not rude.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 03:01:51 AM »
I think I've got through to her. No mention for a while.
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 08:56:53 AM »

You still need to have your "no"s ready. I doubt she'd truly give up after just one day.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 09:15:30 AM »

You still need to have your "no"s ready. I doubt she'd truly give up after just one day.

I know, but the fact she is backing off has to be good.  I have my "no's" well and truly ready.  My last text said "Friend, I don't want to fall out with you over this, but you have to respect me when I say I am not interested. I don't wannt to discuss this any further." She respondedL "OK, I am sorry for bugging you." I didn't reply to that one. She does text me about other things, and I respond to those texts. When she either texts me telling me about her "opportunity" or brings it up in a phone call, that is when I make my polite excuses and leave.  It's now not about money or anything other than her not respecting my "No".

I really don't want to fall out with her over this.  She's a nice person generally, when she's not in some hairbrained idea. Next step will be her wondering whether it is really such a good idea.  Then I will get a phone call at xpm telling me she has given it up or it's not working or something's happened.   Last time she did that I was pg with DS and asleep by 7pm. She called me at 10.25pm. I wasn't happy. I simply told her very bluntly that it was too late for her to call as I was sleeping.  She was taken aback, but apologised.   She's not phoned me after 8pm since then.

Elessarion

• As I swam ashore, I dried myself to save time.
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 09:46:20 AM »
I'm not sure you can call it baking off after one day. I agree with Yvaine, I'd still have your responses ready.

I can't also fault her for calling you late - I'm guessing your sleeping habits had changed and it's possible she didn't know that and from the sounds of your post it sounds like this has been a standard pattern. You preobably could have been a bit less "blunt" with her for following the normal pattern in your friendship.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 12:06:46 PM »
I wasn't nasty jut...blunt. Being woken startled me.

I have responses ready.