Author Topic: Friend trying to get me into MLM opportunity. What to say?  (Read 6637 times)

greencat

Re: Friend trying to get me into MLM opportunity. What to say?
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 12:22:12 PM »
Multi-level marketing.  Basically, a pyramid scheme - where the purpose is to funnel money to the people at the top of the hierarchy.  When it stops expanding, it stops making money.

johelenc1

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2012, 07:11:32 PM »
Just to add something...I don't think it's up to the OP whether or not her friend can contact her facebook friends.  OP's friends have to decide to accept MLMgirl's friend request.  They can say no.  If they say yes (they either already know her, or will friend anyone) and it's up to them to deal with the consequences of saying yes.  They can defriend her just as easily.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2012, 10:05:42 PM »
Just to add something...I don't think it's up to the OP whether or not her friend can contact her facebook friends.  OP's friends have to decide to accept MLMgirl's friend request.  They can say no.  If they say yes (they either already know her, or will friend anyone) and it's up to them to deal with the consequences of saying yes.  They can defriend her just as easily.

The only problem is if the MLM friend adds people to a group without permission, which several MLMers of my acquaintance have done. I'll wake up in the morning, have fifty emails, and find out they're all coming from a facebook group to which I was added without my knowledge or permission.

But if she's not doing that, just going through FB's friending or messaging function, it's annoying but not necessarily wrong.

25wishes

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 08:51:58 AM »
"I value you as a friend, but when you bug me about joining your MLM, I feel like you only value me for the amount of money I can add to your income." 

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2012, 08:12:10 AM »
I'm continuing with the polite no's and adding "I have said. I am not interested." The requests are slowing down... 8)
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 10:32:10 AM »
Nothing new to add except you have my deepest sympathies. I've dropped acquaintances over such behavior. I have very low tolerance for acts of MLM desperation.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2012, 10:59:58 AM »
I would rather not lose her over this because in many ways she's a good friend. If somehow I can get it across to her that I don't want to know, that would be great.  :-\ I've used "That will not be possible,", I have.bean dipped and also said simply "No." It is after all a complete sentence! Maybe the reason she is no longer bugging.me so much is because my spine is strengthening?

Thank you EHellions! Xxx
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.