Author Topic: Why do I do that?  (Read 3008 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
Why do I do that?
« on: August 17, 2012, 07:31:07 AM »
DF told me this morning that I sneeze 6 times in a row and my last sneeze is super loud. I had never noticed before...just done it now and yes, I do.

What strange idiosyncratic habits do you have???
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
Re: Why do I do that?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 07:42:07 AM »
I make a funny grimace when I eat. Justified in that my allergies often lead to a clogged nose, so maybe making this grimace allows for breathing much more easily.

I like walking in a counter-clockwise direction when I am circling places. Possibly due to my limp or my inner ears.

I power-walk and have a HUGE arm swing. Again, possibly due to the limp and inner ears. But this not only burns calories- but also keeps the bad guys away, since it shows I am walking with a purpose.
I have pet mice!

Mr Wigglybones

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 10:07:06 AM »
Well, sometimes, say when I'm in a group of people, I'll manage to derail whatever the discussion might have been by talking about complete and utter nonsense without entirely realising it. Bit odd what things I can suddenly think about despite it not being entirely relevant to what was just happening.

On the subject of sneezes though; I sneeze so hard that I actually fold in half. I've had to take to rolling away from my desk when I feel one coming on lest I bang my head on the table. Again.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 10:32:32 AM »
Well, sometimes, say when I'm in a group of people, I'll manage to derail whatever the discussion might have been by talking about complete and utter nonsense without entirely realising it. Bit odd what things I can suddenly think about despite it not being entirely relevant to what was just happening.

On the subject of sneezes though; I sneeze so hard that I actually fold in half. I've had to take to rolling away from my desk when I feel one coming on lest I bang my head on the table. Again.

I've done that too.  :-\

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 10:50:20 AM »
It seems like most people sneeze in 'sets'.  Mine usually come in threes. 

Also, when I take a bite, I tend to close my eyes or so I've been told.  My mother did the same thing. 

fountainsoflettuce

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 11:27:13 AM »
I waste time by reading ridiculous writings, threads, postings, etc.

I pick up pennies and other money I find on the street.

amylouky

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 11:50:18 AM »
I drive with my hands crossed on the steering wheel when I'm angry or stressed out. I have no idea why. I also "type" out what I'm saying with my toes sometimes. Again, it's worse when I'm stressed.
And I always sneeze in multiples of two.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 11:53:57 AM »
I have a hard time not responding to inane statements as if they're serious.

If there are coins on a table, I have to stack them into little pyramids.
Utah

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 11:58:02 AM »
Another one.

Really, I mean this is just bad, but I still continue to do it!

I sit at my desk with my headphones on, typing away. I finish my typing and take headphones off and put them round my neck. Some time later I realise I want a cup of tea so get up and...raaaaaaaagh. Strangle myself. With the flipping headphone cord which is still around my neck.  Then I get a kind of bungee effect when the cord runs out of room and I stop, choking, before the headphone lead pops out of the socket and I walk sheepishly back to my desk.

I have counted 3 times in a week now.  Yes, I am that bad.  :(

Chickadee

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 01:24:58 PM »
I close my eyes while I brush my teeth. I wasn't even aware that I did that until my 4 year old granddaughter (while watching me brush my teeth) asked me why my eyes were closed.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 12:46:51 AM »
Another one.

Really, I mean this is just bad, but I still continue to do it!

I sit at my desk with my headphones on, typing away. I finish my typing and take headphones off and put them round my neck. Some time later I realise I want a cup of tea so get up and...raaaaaaaagh. Strangle myself. With the flipping headphone cord which is still around my neck.  Then I get a kind of bungee effect when the cord runs out of room and I stop, choking, before the headphone lead pops out of the socket and I walk sheepishly back to my desk.

I have counted 3 times in a week now.  Yes, I am that bad.  :(

Been there, done that.  I've also sat in front of my computer wondering why I couldn't hear any dictations, and then realized one of two things was happening:  Either I didn't have my headphones on, or I didn't have my foot on the dictation pedal.    That usually means that I need coffee. 

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 01:06:31 AM »
Always sing in the car.  No radio going or anything.  Just me and my voice.  It's always very soft, and always old songs and I don't start singing until we get onto the highway, usually after we cross the bridge at the mouth of the river that runs into the ocean.  Not only that but I'm thinking about the notes and how they go together and any oddities and if it can go right into another song without missing a beat, I tell my husband about it.  I think he pretends to be interested.  One song that I noticed this with was Jim Reeves, Missing You can go right into Beyond the reef. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

katycoo

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 10:10:16 PM »
My DH hiccups twice, an hour after eating.  You could set your watch by it.

GraceSullivan

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 08:10:35 PM »
Reviving this thread...

I could set a clock, plus or minus 15 minutes, by what time I get up in the middle of the night to visit the bathroom (3am for the curious  ::)).

I hate when my hands are wet unless I'm actually in a pool or ocean.  I must dry them as soon as they've been washed and heaven forbid I'm out somewhere and there's no paper towels.  If there's a line for an air dryer, I'm so sorry...!

I can only sleep with a steady noise, so I have to run a white noise machine or a fan all night.  That noise shutting off will wake me as effectively as a loud alarm clock.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 05:21:58 PM »
I keep my lanyard with my bus card and work card on way after finishing work. It drives DF (after next week DH!!!!) nuts!!!   ;D