Author Topic: Eid al-Fitr and Labo(u)r Day.  (Read 4055 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Eid al-Fitr and Labo(u)r Day.
« on: August 18, 2012, 11:17:08 AM »
...Any interesting plans for those in the USA or Canada? 

NyaChan

Re: Eid al-Fitr and Labo(u)r Day.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 11:21:15 AM »
Not going to get to go home this year for Eid, unfortunately.  Don't think I've gotten to celebrate Eid properly in at least...3-4 years.  My consolation is that I tend to get along better with the parental units when I am away from home as absence apparently makes me seem like less of a brat  ;)  Might try to do something fun with my non-Muslim friends to celebrate instead.  I have a great recipe for Umm Ali that I think they'll like  :D

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 11:23:26 AM »
Recipe, please.

NyaChan

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 04:10:30 PM »
Sure, just as a heads up, I don't always follow measurements exactly so some tasting to suit your preferences would be a good idea

2 sheets puff pastry (can also use croissants, but I think this works better & is less greasy)
1 cups sliced almonds
3/4 cups pistachios, chopped roughly
3/4 cup golden raisins
1 qt bottle of half n half
1 can Condensed milk (referring to the thick, sweetened milk)
1 pint of heavy cream
1 qt of 2 % milk
Cardamom
Saffron/ vanilla

Put puff pastry sheets in oven at 400 until nicely browned.   Remove puff pastry sheets from oven and crush them up.  Put the crushed pastry in the deep baking dish, an even layer is best.

Mix 1/2 cup sugar with the nuts and raisins.  Put the nut mixture on top of the puff pastry.

In a heavy bottom pan pour 2% milk, half the cream, the half n half, the condensed milk, 1/2 cup sugar, stir and put on medium heat ( careful not to burn). Grind up the cardamom and add to milk (to taste). Then add vanilla or saffron to taste. Test for sweetness, add little more sugar if needed, keeping in mind that there will be sugar in the whipping cream. Remove from stove. Pour over nut mixture and let it cool.  This will be a rich mixture, but some of the cream/half n half can be cut down in favor of milk if you want less.  The desired texture is like melted ice cream.

Beat up the remaining heavy cream w some sugar until the consistency of whipped cream. Spread on top of the the puff pastry, nut, and milky layers which will have mixed together somewhat.  I only used 1/2-3/4 of the whipped cream. Sprinkle few more nuts on top for looks.  Put dish in oven at same temp you used for the puff pastry and bake until light brown on top.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

All in all a very forgiving recipe - can change the nuts to walnuts, leave out raisins, mess about with the quantities for the milk/sugar as well if you want to.  Should serve 20+ people at this quantity (use a big dish!) & can be halved easily.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 07:52:37 PM »
Whoa!  Sounds super delicious. 

Thank you.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 03:51:00 AM »
NyaChan - that sounds a-m-a-z-i-n-g !  I don't think i've ever come across that here - is the finished product (the filling) like knaffeh?

Sure, just as a heads up, I don't always follow measurements exactly so some tasting to suit your preferences would be a good idea

2 sheets puff pastry (can also use croissants, but I think this works better & is less greasy)
1 cups sliced almonds
3/4 cups pistachios, chopped roughly
3/4 cup golden raisins
1 qt bottle of half n half
1 can Condensed milk (referring to the thick, sweetened milk)
1 pint of heavy cream
1 qt of 2 % milk
Cardamom
Saffron/ vanilla

Put puff pastry sheets in oven at 400 until nicely browned.   Remove puff pastry sheets from oven and crush them up.  Put the crushed pastry in the deep baking dish, an even layer is best.

Mix 1/2 cup sugar with the nuts and raisins.  Put the nut mixture on top of the puff pastry.

In a heavy bottom pan pour 2% milk, half the cream, the half n half, the condensed milk, 1/2 cup sugar, stir and put on medium heat ( careful not to burn). Grind up the cardamom and add to milk (to taste). Then add vanilla or saffron to taste. Test for sweetness, add little more sugar if needed, keeping in mind that there will be sugar in the whipping cream. Remove from stove. Pour over nut mixture and let it cool.  This will be a rich mixture, but some of the cream/half n half can be cut down in favor of milk if you want less.  The desired texture is like melted ice cream.

Beat up the remaining heavy cream w some sugar until the consistency of whipped cream. Spread on top of the the puff pastry, nut, and milky layers which will have mixed together somewhat.  I only used 1/2-3/4 of the whipped cream. Sprinkle few more nuts on top for looks.  Put dish in oven at same temp you used for the puff pastry and bake until light brown on top.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

All in all a very forgiving recipe - can change the nuts to walnuts, leave out raisins, mess about with the quantities for the milk/sugar as well if you want to.  Should serve 20+ people at this quantity (use a big dish!) & can be halved easily.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

NyaChan

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 11:48:46 AM »
To me, it feels like more of a super creamy bread pudding.  The dairy all soaks into the pastry so you get the carb texture, but a great deal more smooth/silky than american bread pudding.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 11:58:13 AM »
Wow that sounds gorgeous!!!!!!! I want to make that!   >:D
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 01:14:54 PM »
To me, it feels like more of a super creamy bread pudding.  The dairy all soaks into the pastry so you get the carb texture, but a great deal more smooth/silky than american bread pudding.
thanks

sounds yum

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 01:50:06 PM »
Labour Day in Canada really isn't a special holiday like, say, Canada Day, Thanksgiving or Remembrance Day.  It wraps up the summer before some kids go back to school and signals the start of Autumn.  People celebrate with BBQ's or camping weekends.

With Canadian Thanksgiving coming up in October, I'm already planning the menu.

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 01:25:16 AM »
My labor day weekend always means celebrating my daughter's birthday. I was in labor on labor day 23 years ago!  ::)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 10:34:42 AM »
We're not planning anything terribly exciting for Labor Day.

Here in Brooklyn, Labor Day means a huge Caribbean Carnival.  There will be concerts and Mas Band competitions starting on Thursday evening.  On Labor Day itself (the first Monday in September) there will be a day-long parade up Eastern Parkway. 

We used to go but it's total chaos and we're a bit too old to put up with the noise, the heat and the crowds anymore.  Although, if the weather is right, we'll be able to hear the boom trucks from our house that's about a mile and a half away.

We'll make brats, baked beans and sauerkraut for Dinner and perhaps take a walk in the park.  That's about it.

GSNW

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 09:36:31 PM »
DH and I drove back to my hometown to celebrate my grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary.  I am so pleased for them and I love them so very much - it was an intimate family weekend and we really enjoyed ourselves!