A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Parking tickets and other things:   do they affect your driving record?

(1/4) > >>

gadget--gal:

I'm curious about how this works in other countries. particularly the US because in TV programs I've heard phrases like  " they never so much as found a parking ticket on my record"

In the uk, when you get a ticket (e.g for parking in the wrong place or parking for longer than you've paid)  they stick the ticket to your windscreen.  

You  normally have 14 days to contact the issuing body and pay the reduced rate, (50%). After this,  you must pay the full fee. If the fine hasn't been paid after a few weeks,  they write to the registered driver to ask for payment. After a few more weeks they threaten court action.

So, if someone borrowed a car,  got a parking ticket and settled up quickly, the owner would never know about it. There'd be nothing on the drivers license or any official record either.

On the other hand, if a driving/parking offends was recoded by camera, the driver would be the one on the hook. They'd have to prove it wasn't them, like the time my mother had  *already*  reported her car stolen. Or get 
the real miscreant to own up.

Another thing I've seen (on Judge Judy!) is people losing their license for owing money to the state. This doesn't happen here either. I wonder how common this is in other parts of the world?

violinp:
American here, though what happens in my state may not happen for all.

If you have any kind of infraction, you have points put on your license. Typically, speeding would get you 1 or 2 points, while more dangerous things would have higher points. Once you hit 12 points, your license is automatically revoked, and you can't get it back for 6 months to a year.

gadget--gal:

--- Quote from: violinp on August 18, 2012, 01:36:28 PM ---American here, though what happens in my state may not happen for all.

If you have any kind of infraction, you have points put on your license. Typically, speeding would get you 1 or 2 points, while more dangerous things would have higher points. Once you hit 12 points, your license is automatically revoked, and you can't get it back for 6 months to a year.

--- End quote ---

We have a points system too. Speeding without another offence is 3 points, i think. Max 12, but drivers with less than 2years experience are a allowed 6 maximum. When a newbie earns 6 points they're banned for two years and then they need to re-take All The Tests.

We don't get points for parking offences though. Do you? you get point

Hmmmmm:
In my state parking tickets do not show up on driving records.  However, if you have a ton of unpaid tickets, the state may suspend your license which would show up.  I've always thought the phrase more of an out dated figure of speech.

rashea:
I believe in my state unpaid parking tickets can eventually show up, but only if you refuse to pay them for a long period of time. If you ever watch parking wars, it shows that in cities you usually get your car booted and towed.

Where I live now, there just aren't a whole lot of parking spaces, or cars, so I can't remember my last parking ticket.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version