Author Topic: Is this a bait-and-switch or am I just cranky?  (Read 3833 times)

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
Is this a bait-and-switch or am I just cranky?
« on: August 19, 2012, 05:50:25 PM »
So, early this year, I was rehired on a casual basis back into the company I was laid off from after a merger. I have been working Mon-Fri 9-5 all summer covering vacations for the full-timers. One of the full-timers is leaving on maternity leave very shortly and I was asked if I could take that over for a year. I said sure, great, assuming it would be the same Mon-Fri 9-5 because that's also what she works.

After a few spread out discussions about me taking over the role, it was brought up that the position will actually be 4 days/week, 9am-8pm  :(. I need full-time work and while I wasn't happy about this, I still accepted and I will just have to fit my life around it. I was confused though and didn't get why the hours would be different. When I asked the question was kind of ignored and I didn't push it.

So it turns out that the position is 9-5 Mon-Fri, but another full-timer wanted those hours, so he is taking that over and I'm taking his 4-day per week. i found this out from another coworker, but I'm really irritated that the supervisor never actually told me this. It just feels..I don't know sneaky. There's not much I can do about it, but does this seem a bit of a bait and switch to say "take over the position of employee A" but then actually switch in the hours for employee B?

CaffeineKatie

Re: Is this a bait-and-switch or am I just cranky?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 06:20:21 PM »
I would think a current full time employee would have first dibs on adjusting his/her work hours when the option arose, but not telling you about the change before you agreed to accept is pretty thoughtless, in the least.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »
I would think a current full time employee would have first dibs on adjusting his/her work hours when the option arose, but not telling you about the change before you agreed to accept is pretty thoughtless, in the least.

Agree

But supervisor should have been up front about the hours for your temp position.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 06:33:38 PM »
I wouldn't say its a bait and switch, but knowing you worked 9-5, if it were me offering the opportunity, I would have clarified the hours from the get go.  And if they changed, I would have let you know ASAP.  That being said, if I were the one taking over for a year, I would have confirmed the hours were the same, or what they'd be, so I could make my decision.

wheeitsme

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 06:39:14 PM »
I do think that it's a bit of a bait and switch, but you do need the work.

I'm also wondering if the person going out on Maternity knows that the hours have changed.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 07:08:54 PM »
I don't think it was bait and switch. They never outright said those would be the hours you worked, and then switched them on you. You assumed, reasonably, that your hours would be 9-5. I think you also have some responsibility in verifying what your hours will be.

O'Dell

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 08:50:31 PM »
When I asked the question was kind of ignored and I didn't push it.

Sounds like the person you asked thinks it was kinda' shady and didn't want to admit it. :P

It might not have been a true bait-n-switch though. Is it possible that the change in hours didn't become an issue until after they asked you? At that point the guy found out and asked for the change and got it? Still...they should have let you know at the point that they knew about the change. Out of goodwill toward you *and* so if it were a problem they'd know ASAP and could plan on getting someone else.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Oh Joy

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 09:53:37 PM »
I think it's fine.  Employee A is going on leave, and that is the reason they have the opening.  However, Employee B is taking A's job in her absence, and the opening is really for B's temporarily-open job...it's just easier to say that it's A's.  KWIM?  Unless I'm understanding incorrectly, of course.

grannyclampettjr

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 11:09:21 AM »
I say bait n switch.  She was asked to take over for a particular person, not just work some shifts.  And if it were not a bait and switch, then any boss with any integrity would have informed her as soon as the permanent person called dibs on the prime shifts and asked her if she was still interested.

Take2

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 01:07:37 PM »
I think it is a culture thing. I know in call centers, for instance, you get hired as a headcount with the very lowest seniority in picking your hours. Just because you know someone on the inside and know the hours of the previous person doesn't mean those will be your hours. Good hours are one of the few perks of seniority.

It was still bad of the supervisor to refuse to answer the question honestly. I hate dishonesty out of cowardice in management.

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 03:48:04 PM »
Hi everyone! Thank you for all the feedback - it's really helpful to have some outside viewpoints.

While I'm not thrilled with the new hours, I completely agree that the full-timer gets dibs on the better hours. I think the root of what really bothered me is that no one just came out and said "Bob is taking over Suzie's hours and you get his.". I may not have liked hearing that, but at least I'd know where I stand. That sort of approach does seem endemic around here though and post-merger, there is still a lot of us/them and I'm still one of "them"  ::).

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 02:42:11 AM »
I say bait and switch. While I understand that the person with more seniority should get first dibs on the "good" shifts, you were pretty much offered Suzie's position and instead got Bob's. And they should have checked with you if you were available to work those hours, when they offered it to you. What if you had other commitments that meant you couldn't be available after 5 PM. (Oh wait, let me guess...you're single, so they just assumed you'd be free to work late 4 nights a week?)

Nuts&Makeup

• Glorious circle of unrepeatable definite articles
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 02:40:39 PM »
Well, look at it this way, you will have one day a week free to look for a full-time, permanent job >:D  And I would keep looking also. There may be more weirdness to come and you should take care of yourself first. Even if you agreed to stay for a year, it isn't permanent and they will have to deal with your leaving for a better job.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 02:45:37 PM »
Cranky.
I think getting the least desired shift as a temporary worker is practically automatic.