Author Topic: Coffee and American guests  (Read 8833 times)

Arista

Re: Coffee and American guests
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2012, 12:30:48 PM »
I love coffee, and am very particular about it at home.  However, when I travel and am a guest in others' homes, I don't expect my hosts to provide it, especially if they don't drink it themselves.  I think providing instant is a lovely gesture, but I'd probably personally prefer to visit Starbucks or the equivalent as instant is not strong enough for my taste.  I'd touch base with your guests ahead of time and let them know that while you don't own a coffeemaker, there is a Starbucks nearby in case they'd like coffee, and they can plan accordingly.

I'm taking a trip next week and I'm planning to pack my own freshly ground beans along with a travel French press, so it's possible that your guests might also be planning to provide for themselves on the coffee front.  It's also possible that I'm too attached to my coffee, lol!   ;D

Shea

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2012, 05:54:34 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it, for the following reasons:

1) Instant coffee exists in America, so maybe they do drink that.
2) Not all Americans drink coffee anyway.
3) People who love coffee might want a particular variety or way of making it, so anything you come up with might be wrong regardless. (eg I love very strong filter coffee, but don't like it much out of a cafetiere, and the coffee bags are way to weak for me. Bad coffee is worse than no coffee.)
4) There is a Starbucks around the corner.

I agree with all your points. My grandparents (both American) drink instant coffee every morning. I'm American and I prefer tea with milk and sugar. And the people I know who do drink regular coffee tend to be particular about it. Better just let them know about the Starbucks.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

katycoo

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2012, 09:31:54 PM »
I'm not sure where you live Fleur, but I hear USA instant coffee is quite different to what is in other countries.

So, from an Australian perspective, I think instant is powdered like International Roast, and 'freeze dried' is the granular stuff we more commonly consider instant.  Cna anyone confirm?