Author Topic: Are You Hiding Something?  (Read 2668 times)

MissBrit

Are You Hiding Something?
« on: August 20, 2012, 12:39:29 PM »
Background:
I am a manager for a live outdoor theater that has a variety of shows throughout the summer season. The theater company that brings its shows in from June through September has a strict rule that no children under 5 are admitted to their shows.

Story:
The other night I was standing in the back of the theater when I noticed a woman standing against the wall with a very large lump under her coat. She was swaying side to side the way a mother would do with her baby. I had a sneaking suspicion that something was off but wasn't sure how to approach her. Sure enough, during the intermission I saw a very small baby poking out from under her coat. I approached her and asked her a few questions about the child. He was four weeks old and very cute.

It also turned out that she was a relative of one of the leading actors in the show. He had brought a group in to picnic in our lobby and and was informed that there were no children under 5 and we were told by another one of the group members that she would be taking the children home with her.

I asked the woman with the 4 week-old if she could please remain in the lobby for the rest of the show as there are no children under 5 allowed at the performance. She complied.

Is there a polite way to inquire if someone is hiding a baby under their clothing? Was this the best way to handle this?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 01:08:59 PM by MissBrit »

AustenFan

Re: Are You Hiding Something?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 12:44:20 PM »
Is that a baby under your coat, or are you just happy to see me?  >:D

Nah, I think you did all you could. Maybe remind the actor who invited her of the rules?

MissBrit

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 01:12:56 PM »
I put the incident in my nightly report that goes to the powers that be at the theater company and I informed the box office.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 01:57:25 PM »
I think you handled it well. Obviously if the child was being disruptive, you would have approached her earlier.

I want to know who thinks hiding a child under a coat is a good idea?
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Shea

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 05:34:53 PM »
Wow. I worked in Audience Services at a professional theatre for almost 10 years and I saw a great many bizarre things, but never did I see anyone use a coat to smuggle an infant into a show. You win :P.

I think you handled it very well.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 04:11:42 PM »
Good news is that you didn't even hear the baby.