A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Regional sayings

(1/65) > >>

oz diva:
I was thinking about this when I heard that Phyllis Diller died at 95. Here we would say that she had a good innings. Do Americans say that? It's a cricketing term because 95 or 88 or 100 or a large number like that is a good amount of runs to make, ie a good score.

Danika:
I've never heard of good innings. I live in Colorado. We have a saying here that I've never heard anywhere else in the US, but most people in my generation (born in the 1970s and 1980s) in Colorado are familiar with it. One of the words won't make it past the filter, so I'll try to get creative. The saying is "flipping a witch." Only the word isn't "witch." It means to make a U-turn. An example would be "Oh, I missed my exit. I'll flip a witch and go back."

camlan:
"She had a good innings" isn't used in the US, from what I can tell. I've sometimes heard, "He had a good long run," but I'm not sure how common that is.

What we do have is a variety of ways of saying that someone died, without actually using the word "die."

He passed
She passed on
She passed away
He was taken
She has breathed her last
He's gone to glory

Informal:
He kicked the bucket
She cashed in her chips
He bought the farm
She gave up the ghost

Danika:
camlan, my favorite saying for dying was in a Miami Vice episode when one of the characters said "He went on ahead." What?! I also snicker at the saying "He's pushing up daisies."

I like the number of sayings for vomiting:

He tossed his cookies
He harked
He hurled
He puked
He ralphed
Bowing to the porcelain god

Sharnita:

--- Quote from: camlan on August 20, 2012, 09:08:06 PM ---"She had a good innings" isn't used in the US, from what I can tell. I've sometimes heard, "He had a good long run," but I'm not sure how common that is.

What we do have is a variety of ways of saying that someone died, without actually using the word "die."

He passed
She passed on
She passed away
He was taken
She has breathed her last
He's gone to glory

Informal:
He kicked the bucket
She cashed in her chips
He bought the farm
She gave up the ghost

--- End quote ---