A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Regional sayings

<< < (61/65) > >>

hobish:

--- Quote from: WillyNilly on November 09, 2012, 12:03:14 PM ---
--- Quote from: jmarvellous on November 09, 2012, 11:55:58 AM ---What do you call those 4-wheeled, motorized dangerous things people use to hop around and play in rural areas? I have heard tons of names.

--- End quote ---

One of these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-terrain_vehicle)? Either a "quad" or an "ATV", although if someone called it a "4x4" I'd know what they meant.

--- End quote ---

I am familiar with quad and ATV. I would think a 4x4 was a truck. Three wheelers (now illegal as mentioned, but I still see some around) are three wheelers or a nugget, because it is just a little nugget, not a whole bike or quad? I dunno, but I love the term; I think it is rather South Jersey specific but i am not positive.

baglady:

--- Quote from: emwithme on November 08, 2012, 07:21:21 PM ---
--- Quote from: baglady on September 06, 2012, 01:26:38 PM ---Same for those two-wheeled things that people who walk to the store carry their groceries home in. Formerly "two-wheeled carriage," now cart. A friend calls them "blue-haired lady carts," because she associates them with older women.
--- End quote ---

Ah, the Doris* trolley

*so named for the (generally) old ladies who use them. 

--- Quote from: Valentines Mommy on September 11, 2012, 01:03:23 PM ---All hat, no cattle.

Never heard it until I moved to Houston.

Just another way of saying a person is all talk.

--- End quote ---

One of my junior school (I was 10/11) teachers had a saying for some of the boys - that they were all mouth and no trousers.  It finally dawned on me about five years later what he meant. 

What do you guys call a bread roll?  You know, one of these

Where I grew up, they were called a "batch" - but that's pretty specific within about a 20 mile radius, apparently.

--- End quote ---

Just a roll. I can't tell from that image if that's the kind of roll you'd serve with dinner and put butter on, or one you'd cut open and make a sandwich with. I might use "dinner roll" for the former, to distinguish it from the latter, but at the dinner table it'd just be "Please pass me a roll."

Thipu1:
Here's a new one for me.

We've recently returned from England where I loaded up own a good supply of Crossword books.

Several times, in puzzles by different setters,  the term 'The Black Dog' has turned up as an synonym for 'Depression'. 

It's a vivid image that I'd never heard before. 

Is this regional or is it more wide-spread? 

Iris:
One organisation in Australia that works to raise awareness and help those with depression and bipolar disorder is called the "Black Dog Institute". According to their website the term was coined by Winston Churchill, who used it to describe his own depression.

Thipu1:
Thank you, Iris. 

I'm thinking that a good New Year's Resolution might to do some reading on Churchill.  after all, his Mother was a New York girl. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version