A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Regional sayings

<< < (62/84) > >>

Leafy:
I have one short question so I thought I would use this old thread rather than starting a new one. My husband was watching a YouTube video about Anglo-Indian words used around the world. One of the people, a guy in Canada, stated that "Ta" used for thank you was Anglo-Indian as he had only ever heard his parents say it. We found this a bit odd as "ta" is used very commonly in Australia, though most often with young children.

Does anyone else, who is not necessarily Anglo-Indian, use "ta" for "thank you"?

veryfluffy:
Totally normal in England everywhere I've been to use "ta." It's like a small thank-you (eg for holding the door, or when the cashier gives you your change in a shop). If you are feeling effusive, you might say "ta muchly", but I think that might be more Australian?

Margo:
yes.It's fairly common (though I would say slightly old fashioned) British English. I've certainly come across it in novels written in the 1920s and later.

Having lived in different parts of the UK I personally have found it to be used much more in Northern England than in the South, so I've always tended to assume that it was originally a Northern expression.

I wouldn't think of it as Anglo-Indian at all. (I'd be curious to know which area of the UK he/his parents lived in. A lot of Indian and Pakistani immigrants came to Manchester and other areas in the North due to conections with the cotton trade, so if his parents (or grandparents) originally came to / lived in the North they may have picked it up as a commonly used Northern expression, rather than an Anglo-Indian one.

Outdoor Girl:
As a Canadian, I've only ever heard 'ta' used with children too young to be able to say a full thank you.  The only adults I've heard use it have British roots and really only the older generations.

jmarvellous:
To add to that: I've never before heard "Anglo Indian."

It really rubs me the wrong way, but it's interesting to see and fairly obvious where it might come from.

I'm missing Texas these days, but I'm glad to be free of most of these (the only one I'd never heard used is on the final page, a quote from "Selena"--which I admit to seeing far more times than necessary, even): 14 things all Texans have said at least once

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version