A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Regional sayings

<< < (65/65)

cwm:
I've heard the phrase "Oh, well..." used in the same tone as "Bless his/her heart!"

It generally means "Oh, well, I don't have any polite words to say, so I'm just going to not say anything, but you're being judged."

Also, when my great grandmother would say it when I was young (mostly in response to news stories), I thought she was saying "Oh, whale." I was really confused.

Psychopoesie:

--- Quote from: jmarvellous on November 15, 2013, 09:07:12 AM ---To add to that: I've never before heard "Anglo Indian."

It really rubs me the wrong way, but it's interesting to see and fairly obvious where it might come from.

I'm missing Texas these days, but I'm glad to be free of most of these (the only one I'd never heard used is on the final page, a quote from "Selena"--which I admit to seeing far more times than necessary, even): 14 things all Texans have said at least once

--- End quote ---

Just curious about what rubbed the wrong way about the term Anglo-Indian?

Leafy:

--- Quote from: Psychopoesie on November 15, 2013, 07:30:52 PM ---
--- Quote from: jmarvellous on November 15, 2013, 09:07:12 AM ---To add to that: I've never before heard "Anglo Indian."

It really rubs me the wrong way, but it's interesting to see and fairly obvious where it might come from.

I'm missing Texas these days, but I'm glad to be free of most of these (the only one I'd never heard used is on the final page, a quote from "Selena"--which I admit to seeing far more times than necessary, even): 14 things all Texans have said at least once

--- End quote ---

Just curious about what rubbed the wrong way about the term Anglo-Indian?

--- End quote ---

Anglo-Indians are a defined group of people who have Indian heritage as well as some English or Portugese colonist in their genealogy. They define themselves as such. There is a very large population of Anglo-Indians in Australia - many of whom belong to the Anglo-Indian club (they have dinners, dances and reunions in India).

Redneck Gravy:
I saw the Anglo Indian as a negative connotation...

I have heard "he thinks he's a white Mexican" meaning he thinks he's better than other Mexican people - meant to be very negative.  I hate the term. 

I am trying to beat back my racist/sexist upbringing and think of race as HUMAN (that's hard enough without others adding to the racist comments around me)

I was unaware of the Australian connection.

katycoo:

--- Quote from: Redneck Gravy on November 17, 2013, 01:30:40 PM ---I saw the Anglo Indian as a negative connotation...

I have heard "he thinks he's a white Mexican" meaning he thinks he's better than other Mexican people - meant to be very negative.  I hate the term. 

I am trying to beat back my racist/sexist upbringing and think of race as HUMAN (that's hard enough without others adding to the racist comments around me)

I was unaware of the Australian connection.

--- End quote ---

I'm Australian and unfamiliar with the term but just read it as someone who identifies as both - like African Amercian.

"Ta" used by adults here is only for very perfunct thank yous.  Like when someone passes something to you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version