A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Regional sayings

<< < (66/84) > >>

oz diva:
Hope you don't mind me dredging up this again, but I've thought of another regional saying.

If I said 'I came a cropper'.  Would you know what I was talking about?

SadieBaby:

--- Quote from: oz diva on May 25, 2014, 08:06:56 PM ---Hope you don't mind me dredging up this again, but I've thought of another regional saying.

--- End quote ---

It means you made a mistake, failed, had a bad result in something -- Not a good thing for you!

jmarvellous:
I dug way into the recesses of my mind. I never would have come up with the meaning of that phrase. I figured it must mean something like,  "became a sharecropper."

Katana_Geldar:
One of my favourites is "flat out like a lizard drinking". Any guesses?

perpetua:

--- Quote from: SadieBaby on May 25, 2014, 10:22:25 PM ---
--- Quote from: oz diva on May 25, 2014, 08:06:56 PM ---Hope you don't mind me dredging up this again, but I've thought of another regional saying.

--- End quote ---

It means you made a mistake, failed, had a bad result in something -- Not a good thing for you!

--- End quote ---

Orrrr (here) it would mean you fell flat on your face in a literal sense, ie, falling over, usually quite badly. Ie, "She tripped on the way out of the pub and came a right cropper".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version