Author Topic: Regional sayings  (Read 54268 times)

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
Re: Regional sayings
« Reply #405 on: July 01, 2014, 07:50:34 PM »
I'm in the U.S. but I'm closer to Mexico, so I think I'm confused. Here when they say Nachos, they mean Tortilla chips. So:

Nachos ==>

Chips ==>

Are you all saying that in PA, they say Nachos and mean

or that they mean just the Tortilla chips without any cheese?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #406 on: July 01, 2014, 08:04:31 PM »
Tortilla chips without cheese.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

katycoo

« Reply #407 on: July 01, 2014, 08:25:40 PM »
In Australia, tortilla chips are called corn chips and potato chips are just chips.  Nachos are only nachos if they have toppings.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #408 on: July 01, 2014, 08:49:10 PM »
In Australia, tortilla chips are called corn chips and potato chips are just chips.  Nachos are only nachos if they have toppings.

& the topping is usually more than just cheese. Most places I've been to here do vegetarian (like the pic below) or beef versions. It seems to be a popular menu offering, even if the restaurant/cafe doesn't have a Mexican theme. Not sure how different that is to US - we're a long way from Mexico.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #409 on: July 01, 2014, 09:12:03 PM »

& the topping is usually more than just cheese. Most places I've been to here do vegetarian (like the pic below) or beef versions. It seems to be a popular menu offering, even if the restaurant/cafe doesn't have a Mexican theme. Not sure how different that is to US - we're a long way from Mexico.

It's the same here in the US in all of the states I've lived at restaurants.  At ballparks and the likes, they're usually not as fancy, cheese and sometimes jalapenos.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #410 on: July 02, 2014, 12:01:28 AM »
Now I would call that a taco salad. 

And just to confuse the issue, there are corn chips that are not tortilla chips.   

Much smaller, thicker, saltier, and greasier than tortilla chips. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

katycoo

« Reply #411 on: July 02, 2014, 02:26:21 AM »

And just to confuse the issue, there are corn chips that are not tortilla chips.   

We don't have those here, AFAIK.

Peppergirl

« Reply #412 on: July 02, 2014, 03:51:53 AM »
Stop it, ya'll!  Making my mouth water!  ;D

lowspark

« Reply #413 on: July 02, 2014, 08:41:27 AM »

It's the same here in the US in all of the states I've lived at restaurants.  At ballparks and the likes, they're usually not as fancy, cheese and sometimes jalapenos.

Yup, definitely that's how they are in Texas.
Or something like this:

A taco salad involves lettuce, which you will pretty much never see on nachos, unless they're made wrong!  :o ;D 8)
And it normally comes in a taco shaped bowl, as opposed to on a pile of chips.

ChinaShepherdess

• “Never bet your money on another man's game.”
« Reply #414 on: July 02, 2014, 08:51:11 AM »

In my neck of the woods (SoCal) , everyone I know consistently calls tortilla chips tortilla chips, in part, I think, to mitigate precisely this confusion.

lowspark

« Reply #415 on: July 02, 2014, 08:58:01 AM »

In my neck of the woods (SoCal) , everyone I know consistently calls tortilla chips tortilla chips, in part, I think, to mitigate precisely this confusion.

Ditto.
I call those pictured above, Fritos. Yes, I realize that's a brand name, but pretty much those are either Fritos brand Fritos or a generic brand, probably made by FritoLay anyway.

I mean, there are tons of brands of tortilla chips and potato chips but other than generics, I've never seen anyone else make Fritos.

jmarvellous

« Reply #416 on: July 02, 2014, 09:07:20 AM »
The latest image is what I call Fritos (as a generic term) or "corn chips" (suitable for Frito pie, which is not a pie at all) but never "tortilla chips." I've seen people call the flatter, thinner ordinary tortilla chips "corn chips," too, but it's not common.

Frito pie (served in a boat, rather than in the chip bag, which is just asking to get burned, if you're a slob like me), generally chili over Fritos, topped with onions/peppers/cheese/sour cream as regional variations go:

lowspark

« Reply #417 on: July 02, 2014, 09:19:53 AM »
Man, I love me some Frito Pie!