Author Topic: Regional sayings  (Read 39049 times)

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
Re: Regional sayings
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 12:28:32 AM »
I say "sauna" "sah-nah."

I commonly hear:

"I'm fixin' to ..." (As in "I will soon do ...")

"Those y'alls'?" (As in "Are those things yours (plural or singular)?") "Y'all" is so common I barely register it anymore, but "y'alls" as extra-plural or possessive is weird to me, still.

What we called the "feeder" in Houston is called an "access road" or "frontage road" elsewhere -- the road that goes along the side of a highway for on-and-off access.

Some people around here "hang a left" whereas I "turn left."

I say, "Oh my goodness!" or "Oh my gosh!" and people look at me funny, like I'm a prude or a *gasp* northerner. It seems to be "Oh my G-d" or nothing.

Dark Boyfriend loves to make possessive y'all. I'm slowly getting used to it but it always sounded so weird at first.

I both "turn" and "hang a" left.

A pididdle (sp?) is a car with one headlight out. Learned that in PA; nobody I met had heard it called that in CO.

My Hawaiin "family" calls flip flops (also known as thongs ;) "slippers".

some might even say "hang a louie"

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 01:35:00 AM »
I say "sauna" "sah-nah."

I commonly hear:

"I'm fixin' to ..." (As in "I will soon do ...")

"Those y'alls'?" (As in "Are those things yours (plural or singular)?") "Y'all" is so common I barely register it anymore, but "y'alls" as extra-plural or possessive is weird to me, still.

What we called the "feeder" in Houston is called an "access road" or "frontage road" elsewhere -- the road that goes along the side of a highway for on-and-off access.

Some people around here "hang a left" whereas I "turn left."

I say, "Oh my goodness!" or "Oh my gosh!" and people look at me funny, like I'm a prude or a *gasp* northerner. It seems to be "Oh my G-d" or nothing.

Dark Boyfriend loves to make possessive y'all. I'm slowly getting used to it but it always sounded so weird at first.

I both "turn" and "hang a" left.

A pididdle (sp?) is a car with one headlight out. Learned that in PA; nobody I met had heard it called that in CO.

I heard that for the first time when I lived outside of Toronto.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Bluenomi

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012, 02:03:54 AM »
This is a pronunciation thing, not a saying thing, but how do you pronounce "sauna"? Like "fawn" and "dawn" or like "sauerkraut"?

Saw-na.

In Australia We'd 'chuck a u-ie', not bang one...

We Aussie check everying. Chuck a uie, check a left/right, chuck things to people etc etc.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2012, 04:35:07 AM »
This is a pronunciation thing, not a saying thing, but how do you pronounce "sauna"? Like "fawn" and "dawn" or like "sauerkraut"?

Saw-na.

We Aussie check everying. Chuck a uie, check a left/right, chuck things to people etc etc.
Chuck a sicke.

Victoria

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2012, 06:08:53 AM »

Saw-na.

Chuck a sicke.

Chuck a wobbly.
Stewart/Colbert '16

Redsoil

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2012, 06:18:04 AM »
Chuck a brown...

Oops.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2012, 06:20:44 AM »
Stewart/Colbert '16

jalutaja

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2012, 06:31:01 AM »

That would be a perfect song to practise saying "sauna" (well, not in Finnish way, but close enough) :

http://youtu.be/9O81AjaqwAU

gadget--gal

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2012, 07:06:05 AM »
[quote author=Dark Magdalena link=topic=119919.msg2780958#msg2780958 date=1345600878

[/quote]

Ditto for west Africa

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2012, 09:12:13 AM »
I like the number of sayings for vomiting:

He tossed his cookies
He harked
He hurled
He puked
He ralphed
Bowing to the porcelain god

Call Ralph (on the porcelain telephone)
Call Earl (on the porcelain telephone)
Making a technicolor pizza
Doing the technicolor yawn
Blow chunks
Spew chunks

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2012, 09:32:12 AM »

In NYC its not uncommon for people to puralize "you", as in "Yous goin' to the game later?" or "hey yous get off my stoop!"

And to make it more confusing lets add another word - we call it a service road.  I have heard it referred to as an access road and might figure out feeder in context but frontage?  Never heard it and would never figure that one out...

I've heard hang a louie and bang a louie interchangeably... with a slight distinction often being to "hang a louie" is to just casually, regularly turn left "hang a louie at the next light" and bang being more urgent "d'oh!  Its this one, quick, bang a louie!"

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2012, 10:39:04 AM »
Here in NYC, we 'take a right turn' or 'hang a right'.

As to long sandwiches, 'sub' or 'submarine', 'hero' or 'hoagie' would all be easily understood. 'Grinder' tends to be a more New England usage but would still be intelligible.

Like 'dese', 'dem' and 'dose', 'youse' is not common in NYC except among very old residents. In the 1950s, Brooklyn College offered remedial speech courses for students to help them lose the 'Brooklyn accent'.       

Decimus

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2012, 11:33:53 AM »
I'll agree "youse" is rather rare in NYC nowadays.  On the other hand, I think just about every New Yorker knows (if not uses) Yiddish phrases.  Oy vey!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2012, 01:34:49 PM »
Oh yes. 

Yiddish is very common in NYC.

People of all ethnic origins enjoy bagels and almost everyone orders them with a 'schmear'.  That means a spread of butter or cream cheese.  At the very best places, a 'schmear' could weigh as much as a quarter pound.   

'I could care less?' with the appropriate shoulder shrug and hand gesture, is as likely to be heard from a person born in the Bahamas or Yemen as from a person whose parents came from Eastern Europe.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2012, 03:58:04 PM »
I haven't lived in New England for 30 years, so I don't know if anyone still says "tonic" for soda or pop. When I was a kid "soda" meant only one thing: an ice cream soda. Coke, Pepsi etc. were tonic.

I haven't heard anyone say "tonic" when referring to soda, but then I've only been in MA for about 30 years, so... ;) I'm sure folks still do it, though!

We also say frappe, which is a milkshake, but with icecream.

The liquor store is a packie (package store). When I went to Michigan recently, I was pretty amused by the "party stores."

ETA: I almost forgot! wicked = very (That was wicked awesome, you are wicked drunk, he's wicked cute!)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:00:15 PM by My cat is a ninja »
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS