Author Topic: Regional sayings  (Read 46977 times)

Redsoil

Re: Regional sayings
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2012, 05:17:28 AM »
Trolley.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2012, 05:54:30 AM »

That's a trolley.
Stewart/Colbert '16

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2012, 09:32:57 AM »
In NYC, it's a cart.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2012, 10:14:02 AM »
it's a cart

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2012, 10:17:35 AM »
From Texas and I do remember now that it's been mentioned hearing  it called a buggy.  I think it is now most often called a shopping cart.  But the more I think about it, I'm pretty sure I can hear myself saying to a husband to "grab a buggy".

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2012, 10:26:44 AM »
From Texas and I do remember now that it's been mentioned hearing  it called a buggy.  I think it is now most often called a shopping cart.  But the more I think about it, I'm pretty sure I can hear myself saying to a husband to "grab a buggy".

I can hear it in Dark Boyfriend's mother's voice, too, and that's why I'm sure I've also heard Dark Boyfriend say it; though I ask him now and he says it's a cart and he has never called it a buggy.  Then again, he also swears that he never said he hates mac and cheese even though four other people sitting there heard him say it, too.  "Why would I say that?  I love mac and cheese."  "I don't know, DB, why do you change your mind about things all of the time then forget you did?"  ::)
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2012, 10:50:31 AM »
In NYC, it's a cart.

Yup, its a cart.  A "shopping cart" if being mentioned out of context (like when its on a the sidewalk or an apartment building super is using it to haul stuff) and just a "cart" when actually at the store "hey would you grab a cart while I grab the circular?"  (The "circular" being the weekly listings of sales & coupons... which is not circular at all but shaped like a newspaper ::) )

jmarvellous

« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2012, 12:00:19 PM »
In NYC, it's a cart.

Yup, its a cart.  A "shopping cart" if being mentioned out of context (like when its on a the sidewalk or an apartment building super is using it to haul stuff) and just a "cart" when actually at the store "hey would you grab a cart while I grab the circular?"  (The "circular" being the weekly listings of sales & coupons... which is not circular at all but shaped like a newspaper ::) )

That'd just be 'the ad' here (TX).

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2012, 12:04:58 PM »
it's the ad in Michigan too

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2012, 12:49:39 PM »
it's an ad in MD

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2012, 01:15:34 PM »
It's a flyer here in my part of Ontario.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jmarvellous

« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2012, 01:21:48 PM »

Hmm, here a flier is just a paper tacked to a bulletin board, street post or such, or something someone hands to you on the street (similar in content, but different in distribution, I guess).

Jones

« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2012, 01:23:12 PM »
I've heard it referred to as a "basket", which causes some confusion as I think a "basket" is one of those little baskets that hangs off one's arm for quick shopping trips. I've also heard "wagon".

I call it a cart, and I've taken to checking the ads online rather than try to grab them at the store; it's a planning thing.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2012, 01:47:26 PM »

Hmm, here a flier is just a paper tacked to a bulletin board, street post or such, or something someone hands to you on the street (similar in content, but different in distribution, I guess).

That's a flyer in NYC too (on a bulletin board or handed to you, etc), although if someone called the grocery store coupon pamphlet thingie a flyer I wouldn't bat an eye or probably even register the word.

datcat

« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2012, 05:01:51 PM »
In the UK that is a shopping trolly