Author Topic: Regional sayings  (Read 51258 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Regional sayings
« Reply #180 on: September 11, 2012, 01:14:40 PM »
"none of your beeswax" is common around here, too.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #181 on: September 11, 2012, 08:01:34 PM »
I grew up in the Rocky Mountain region of the US and had never heard this till I moved to the Northeast. When someone makes a mistake, they say "my bad." And I had a friend from Michigan who said that where she lived, they didn't say "my bad" but they said "my bag" instead, when they were correcting themselves.

Having grown up in the northeast and then moving to the Rocky Mountain region, I never noticed that one...but now I'm going to see if people don't say it here (because I'm oh so far from you :D). I grew up saying it so I never paid attention for people not saying it...challenge accepted!

I will be interested to hear the results. I am in the Northeast and had no idea "my bad" was regional. I have heard (seen?) people on here complaining that it is rude; but i have always thought it to be a handy little phrase. I also kind of thought it originated or was at least popularized by the TV show "Martin" so shows what i know  :P

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #182 on: September 11, 2012, 08:21:39 PM »
I grew up in the Rocky Mountain region of the US and had never heard this till I moved to the Northeast. When someone makes a mistake, they say "my bad." And I had a friend from Michigan who said that where she lived, they didn't say "my bad" but they said "my bag" instead, when they were correcting themselves.

Having grown up in the northeast and then moving to the Rocky Mountain region, I never noticed that one...but now I'm going to see if people don't say it here (because I'm oh so far from you :D). I grew up saying it so I never paid attention for people not saying it...challenge accepted!

I will be interested to hear the results. I am in the Northeast and had no idea "my bad" was regional. I have heard (seen?) people on here complaining that it is rude; but i have always thought it to be a handy little phrase. I also kind of thought it originated or was at least popularized by the TV show "Martin" so shows what i know  :P

So far, nothin'.  I used it once and the other person didn't bat an eyelash.  I'm going to ask her the next time I see her, though, because she has lived in Colorado all of her life.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #183 on: September 11, 2012, 10:39:29 PM »
I tend to think "my bad" is more urban than regional.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #184 on: September 11, 2012, 11:30:55 PM »
I tend to think "my bad" is more urban than regional.

I grew up in a town of 1,000 people; definitely not just an urban thing.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Bluenomi

« Reply #185 on: September 11, 2012, 11:47:47 PM »
I was chatting with a gal from Oklahoma and was about to say something about the weather in her "neck of the woods." Then I realized she didn't live where there were or ever had been a forest, and didn't know if it would confuse her.

Do people use that phrase in non-woodsy areas?

Oh yes,  'neck of the woods' is generic American.  Whether or not trees are present, you know it means the place where you live. 

We never have quite figured out how woods have a neck but, who really cares?  it's fun to say.  :)

I'd say it's just pretty generic. I know plenty of Aussie who use it.

Redsoil

« Reply #186 on: September 12, 2012, 04:18:58 AM »
I do wonder if the "my bad" is a mangulation (ha!) of the English translation for "mea culpa".  ("My fault" or "my mistake".)  Possible?

Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

cabbageweevil

« Reply #187 on: September 12, 2012, 04:19:58 AM »
I'd never encountered the expression "my bad", before discovering the Internet. Had thus imagined that it was pure "Net-speak", and quite recently come into being. Various recent posts inform me otherwise.  To the best of my knowledge, it was unused and unknown here in the UK, before the Net era.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #188 on: September 12, 2012, 04:50:55 AM »
I do wonder if the "my bad" is a mangulation (ha!) of the English translation for "mea culpa".  ("My fault" or "my mistake".)  Possible?

I always assumed as such, myself, but now am going to try to find actual evidence to support it.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2012, 05:24:59 AM »
Does anyone else refer to an umbrella as a bumbershoot?  My mother called them that and I've never heard it anywhere else.  Of course, my mother had a myriad of unusual expressions.

Not a bumbershoot, but a bumberstalk - my father called it that and I always assumed it was a made up word and never thought to ask where it came from. Now I look it up and I find http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bumbershoot . I'm not sure that I believe it, but fairly obviously a bumbershoot is a little one (pocket folding umbrella?) and a bumberstalk is a big one (golf umbrella?)

Another one to throw into the mix: when I have to put up with something unpleasant because it simply can't be helped, I have to thole it. Anybody else do that?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #190 on: September 12, 2012, 09:31:21 AM »

I would say you are probably right.  my bad (at least in MD/DC) is used to take the blame for doing something wrong.  I remember starting to use it around middle school which would be about 15 years ago. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #191 on: September 12, 2012, 09:31:59 AM »
^  That is how my nephews use it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Anniissa

« Reply #192 on: September 12, 2012, 10:15:55 AM »
I'd never encountered the expression "my bad", before discovering the Internet. Had thus imagined that it was pure "Net-speak", and quite recently come into being. Various recent posts inform me otherwise.  To the best of my knowledge, it was unused and unknown here in the UK, before the Net era.

I think the phrase was pretty much popularised by the film "Clueless" and then by Buffy the Vampire Slayer - that's certainly how I and many others I know came across the phrases as it was definitely unknown in my part of the UK before that.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #193 on: September 12, 2012, 01:02:14 PM »
Another one to throw into the mix: when I have to put up with something unpleasant because it simply can't be helped, I have to thole it. Anybody else do that?

I've never heard that. How does one pronounce that? Just th like in "throw" and ole rhyming with hole? Most of the folks I know use the slang "suck it up." I'm not sure of the derivation of "suck it up" and I'm not sure I want to know.  ;)

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #194 on: September 12, 2012, 02:23:30 PM »

I've never heard that. How does one pronounce that? Just th like in "throw" and ole rhyming with hole? Most of the folks I know use the slang "suck it up." I'm not sure of the derivation of "suck it up" and I'm not sure I want to know.  ;)

Yup. Thole to rhyme with hole. According to Merriam Webster it's derived from Old English tholian and is very old but now only used in 'the corners of England's northern dialects' but it's still in use in Scotland and Ulster.