Author Topic: Regional sayings  (Read 38615 times)

Mmirth

Re: Regional sayings
« Reply #255 on: October 14, 2012, 10:34:51 PM »
We do "Bottle shop"  for liquor store.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #256 on: October 15, 2012, 06:22:48 PM »

Here we sometimes call it a "bottle'o"
Stewart/Colbert '16

mw8242

« Reply #257 on: October 17, 2012, 02:43:40 PM »
central jersey here.

The one thing I get picked on is that drawer & draw are pronounced the same way to me.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #258 on: October 17, 2012, 04:44:22 PM »
That's similar to the Bostonian accent.  The standard joke is 'Pahk the Cah in Hahvahd Yahd'.

Bostonians also tend to insert the dropped 'r's into places where they didn't quite belong.

My mother adored the Kennedy family but their ways of speaking drove her to distraction.  She could not  stand it when JFK talked about 'Cuber' or 'Chiner'. 

In her view it sounded 'uneducated' and these were highly educated people. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #259 on: October 17, 2012, 05:01:05 PM »
Hence the pirate jokes:

What's a pirate's favorite letter?   Arrrrrrr!

What's a pirate from Boston say?   Ahhhhhh!

Iris

« Reply #260 on: October 17, 2012, 05:03:40 PM »
central jersey here.

The one thing I get picked on is that drawer & draw are pronounced the same way to me.

Well, I'm from Australia and draw and drawer ARE pronounced the same way, so there  :D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #261 on: October 17, 2012, 05:11:56 PM »
central jersey here.

Well, I'm from Australia and draw and drawer ARE pronounced the same way, so there  :D

Same here, and I'm from the Appalachian South of the United States.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #262 on: October 17, 2012, 05:29:16 PM »
The drawer/draw reminded me of a discussion I had with a friend. 

In my childhoold bedroom, I had a bed, a night stand, a dressing table, a dresser, and a chest of drawers.  She had never heard of a piece of furniture being called a chest of drawers.  When I described it to her, she said she would call it a dresser or a highboy if the room already had a dresser. 

To me:
A dressing table has a place to sit in front of a mirror and has a few drawers for storing things like makeup and hair products.
A dresser is around 3-4 ft tall and has several vertical drawers.  A double dresser has two sets side by side.
A chest of drawers is around 5 ft tall and has multiple verticle drawers stacked above each other.
A highboy is like a chest of drawers but has legs and is more intricate.

I now have a mule chest in my bedroom which is like a double dresser but taller. 

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #263 on: October 17, 2012, 06:01:09 PM »
I'm from northwestern PA, where we pronounce things strangely anyway.  The first one (draw) is with an "awe" sound.  The other (drawer) is with an "oor" sound like in door...it is pretty much pronounced droor to me.

ETA:  The "awe" sound is as in ma, pa, saw, caw, haw, law, et cetera.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 06:59:28 PM by Mental Magpie »
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

katycoo

« Reply #264 on: October 17, 2012, 06:51:28 PM »
The drawer/draw reminded me of a discussion I had with a friend. 

In my childhoold bedroom, I had a bed, a night stand, a dressing table, a dresser, and a chest of drawers.  She had never heard of a piece of furniture being called a chest of drawers.  When I described it to her, she said she would call it a dresser or a highboy if the room already had a dresser. 

To me:
A dressing table has a place to sit in front of a mirror and has a few drawers for storing things like makeup and hair products.
A dresser is around 3-4 ft tall and has several vertical drawers.  A double dresser has two sets side by side.
A chest of drawers is around 5 ft tall and has multiple verticle drawers stacked above each other.

I now have a mule chest in my bedroom which is like a double dresser but taller. 

Agreed, a dressing table has a mirror.

A dresser is as you desribe, also known as a lowboy.

A chest of drawers is also as you describe, also known as a tallboy.

Highboy isn't used, but I wouldn't distinguishe between feet v non-feet in any event.

I'm from northwestern PA, where we pronounce things strangely anyway.  The first one (draw) is with an "awe" sound.  The other (drawer) is with an "oor" sound like in door...it is pretty much pronounced droor to me.

Draw and door have the same sound in Oz.  Except one has an 'r' after the 'd', obviously.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #265 on: October 17, 2012, 08:35:12 PM »
What we called the "feeder" in Houston is called an "access road" or "frontage road" elsewhere -- the road that goes along the side of a highway for on-and-off access.

That is so confusing. We were in Houston for a wedding and the driving instructions to get to the rehearsal dinner said "Take Feeder Road." DH and I keep looking for a road named "Feeder." We flipped a witch about four times before I said "Maybe 'Feeder' means 'frontage.'"
We like confusing people - every freeway in Houston has multiple names

I10  Katy Freeway (from downtown W to Katy) and East or Beaumont (From downtown E to baytown)

59 Southwest Freeway (from downtown W to Fort Bend) and East Tex (Downtown to Kingwood)

45 - Gulf freeway downtown to Galveston and North Freeway Downtown to Conroe

290 Northwest Freeway from Memorial to Austin

At least in Houston if you miss an exit, there is a feeder road to get off on and you can turn around and go back. In San Antonio just after 9/11 this guy would NOT let me get in the lane to keep on I10. He forced me onto a different HW. We kept driving thinking we would be able to get off on a feeder and turn around.  Drove straight on to one of the military bases. Thankfully every other person in the car had military ID. The guard helped us get back on I10. 
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Bluenomi

« Reply #266 on: October 17, 2012, 08:55:18 PM »

Draw and door have the same sound in Oz.  Except one has an 'r' after the 'd', obviously.

Really? Cause I'm an Aussie and door and draw are 2 differently pronounced words to me.

katycoo

« Reply #267 on: October 17, 2012, 10:34:45 PM »

Really? Cause I'm an Aussie and door and draw are 2 differently pronounced words to me.

Regional thing, I guess.  I'm in Sydney.  if there's any different its so slight as to be indescernable.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #268 on: October 18, 2012, 04:32:35 AM »

I'm in Melbourne. Door and draw rhyme.
Stewart/Colbert '16

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #269 on: October 18, 2012, 10:30:55 AM »
To me:

Pod to the dressing table. But as a kid, all the rest, we would have called "bureaus." Later, in my teens, we started to say "dresser," but again, dresser would have applied to everything you list. Tall dressers and short dressers.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn