Author Topic: Yet another FB question  (Read 2392 times)

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
Yet another FB question
« on: August 22, 2012, 12:07:48 PM »
If you "like" an organization or a business, can they see the status updates on your personal page?
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

O'Dell

Re: Yet another FB question
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 01:22:33 PM »
Hmmm...interesting question. I dunno. Maybe someone who knows the ins and outs of FB will be along to give you a definitive answer. If not, you can ask at Facebook's help center. Click on the right hand corner where you log out. The last option is help. There are a list of FAQ's and you can ask a question that isn't listed. I've asked a question and gotten an answer pretty quick.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

MamaMootz

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 02:17:13 PM »
Thanks, O'Dell. I *think* the answer is no. Because you can limit your posts to your friends lists only and it looks like if you lock down your profile and restrict it, then the only thing that pops up if a business clicks on your name is the basic stuff that's displayed to the public.

The etiquette reason I ask this, by the way, is because I posted something that I'm pretty sure the PTA at DD's school will be offended by regarding school fund raisers and how I hate them, and I don't want it biting me in the rear end. This year is tough enough as it is because the whole area is so clannish. 

Kitty Hawk

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 02:29:38 PM »
I am an internet journalist, and I long ago accepted the philosophy that everything I write anywhere on the internet can conceivably be read by the entire world.

Just like back in my pre-internet days (showing my age!), I always assumed that every tv camera or still camera was looking at me.  Because they did like to screen the crowds and reporters, and you don't want to get caught picking your nose or scratching somewhere you shouldn't or whatever.

Which is my long-winded way of saying you should probably realize that somehow or other they will learn of your opinion anyway.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 03:27:51 PM »
From facebook's help:
Pages cannot see the profiles (timelines) of people who connect with them, only their profile picture and name. Pages also do not have access to a news feed with information about what the activity of the people who connect with them. Page admins, however, will be able to see anything you’ve made available as Public on your profile (timeline) by visiting your profile (timeline). Pages can communicate with people who like their Page by sending messages. Authenticated Pages may also post status updates, which may appear in the news feeds of people who like the Page.

So no, unless you made it a public post. :) 
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

MamaMootz

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 06:53:42 PM »
I am an internet journalist, and I long ago accepted the philosophy that everything I write anywhere on the internet can conceivably be read by the entire world.

Just like back in my pre-internet days (showing my age!), I always assumed that every tv camera or still camera was looking at me.  Because they did like to screen the crowds and reporters, and you don't want to get caught picking your nose or scratching somewhere you shouldn't or whatever.

Which is my long-winded way of saying you should probably realize that somehow or other they will learn of your opinion anyway.

I realize most of this is true, but what works in my favor is that the PTA in general is not very computer-savvy and would not be able to figure out how to get around the privacy settings. And honestly, I don't think anyone will really be interested in doing an in-depth search of my profile anyway, at least not from their organization.

I just get tired of editing myself all the time when it comes to my Facebook wall.

MamaMootz

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 06:54:08 PM »
From facebook's help:
Pages cannot see the profiles (timelines) of people who connect with them, only their profile picture and name. Pages also do not have access to a news feed with information about what the activity of the people who connect with them. Page admins, however, will be able to see anything you’ve made available as Public on your profile (timeline) by visiting your profile (timeline). Pages can communicate with people who like their Page by sending messages. Authenticated Pages may also post status updates, which may appear in the news feeds of people who like the Page.

So no, unless you made it a public post. :)

Thank you for this - it's what I thought - I made it available to "friends only". So I'm good.

MOM21SON

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 08:03:05 PM »
I disagree.  If I post on one of my liked pages and a friend on my list is on that page, it shows in their news feed.  And FYI, people share information.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 09:48:51 PM »
I disagree.  If I post on one of my liked pages and a friend on my list is on that page, it shows in their news feed.  And FYI, people share information.

But that isn't on your timeline, that is on the timeline of the page, which is most likely public. I would recommend being careful about what you post on a public page!
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 10:34:12 PM »
Thanks, O'Dell. I *think* the answer is no. Because you can limit your posts to your friends lists only and it looks like if you lock down your profile and restrict it, then the only thing that pops up if a business clicks on your name is the basic stuff that's displayed to the public.

The etiquette reason I ask this, by the way, is because I posted something that I'm pretty sure the PTA at DD's school will be offended by regarding school fund raisers and how I hate them, and I don't want it biting me in the rear end. This year is tough enough as it is because the whole area is so clannish.

As a past PTA president let me assure you that they hate them too.  No one really likes them but if you are an officer or organizer of them you have to put on your cheerleader uniform and do your best rah rah rah. 

MamaMootz

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 11:44:20 PM »

Ah, but I have no friends on Facebook that are PTA or school people. We just moved here. I don't really know many of them. The post I made is on my personal page, not the public PTA page.

And I get that no one really "likes" fundraisers, but I would like to know why the school can't raise funds another way. It irritates me that these companies get the kids all pumped up over cheap prizes to sell, sell sell and then we end up bothering friends and coworkers and neighbors to buy overpriced sugar laden stuff. I wish the school could do "un-fundraisers" where they just ask parents to donate to the school, or movie nights... or anything, really, but the corporate stuff.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:47:44 PM by MamaMootz »