Author Topic: Professional Sentiment  (Read 1887 times)

DaDancingPsych

Professional Sentiment
« on: August 22, 2012, 12:10:57 PM »
I have run into two professional situations this week where a client/coworker has shared a family health issue with me. In these examples, it was a severe accident or a potential serious health diagnosis. In a personal situation, many people opt to say, “I will keep your loved one in my prayers.” (I am not religious, so I typically go with “in my thoughts”.) However, what is appropriate in a professional setting?

Kitty Hawk

Re: Professional Sentiment
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
"I am very sorry to hear that. I hope all goes well."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 01:10:59 PM »
"Oh, how hard! I wish you all the best, and I'll be thinking of you."

And then, when there's something practical (like overcommunicaitng, or making photocopies for them to save them the time, etc.), do it.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 05:23:55 PM »
"I am very sorry to hear that. I hope all goes well."

This. Although, "I'm sorry to hear that; I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts" isn't entirely out of place either. It's not overly intimate, and well wishes are perfectly acceptable.
Utah

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 09:08:59 AM »
I have run into two professional situations this week where a client/coworker has shared a family health issue with me. In these examples, it was a severe accident or a potential serious health diagnosis. In a personal situation, many people opt to say, “I will keep your loved one in my prayers.” (I am not religious, so I typically go with “in my thoughts”.) However, what is appropriate in a professional setting?

I think this is fine to say.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

DaDancingPsych

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 09:24:35 AM »
Thanks everyone! It seems like such a simple thing, but I have always tripped over myself trying to be thoughtful, yet keep that line of professionalism. Your phrases and reassurance are helpful.