General Etiquette > Etiquette of the Rich and Famous

Thoughts on the whole Karen Klein thing

(1/9) > >>

lollylegs:
Not sure if this is in the right place but it's about a popular news story, so I thought it would fit here.

For those of you who didn't catch it, Karen Klein was a bus monitor who was verbally bullied by a group of school children. The incident was filmed and uploaded to YouTube, went viral, and became an international thing.

An online collection was taken and about $700 000 raised, which went to Klein.  Now I'm reading a lot of articles lambasting her for how she's spending the money - she bought cars for her grandchildren, there was some tut-tutting that she didn't donate any to an anti-bullying foundation, and now she's announced she's using some (I think about $75 000) to start her own anti-bullying foundation, which some people are saying isn't enough.

I'd like to hear what everyone thinks about this whole thing. Two specific questions I have:

1) Even though everything turned out well for her, I think it was kind of rude for whoever to upload the YouTube video in the first place.  Agree?  Disagree?

2) Is there any merit whatsoever in the argument that voluntarily donated funds, with absolutely no strings or conditions attached, should be spent altruistically?

MyFamily:
I think a ton of things that are uploaded to YouTube are rude and should never be publically shared like they are, because their whole purpose is to embarress someone, so yeah.

I think she's doing fine with the money.  It was a gift given with no strings.  As I recall, the man who started the drive did so so that Ms. Klein could take a vacation.  More money came in then expected, and she's sharing the wealth with her family.  Just because she was a victim of bullying doesn't mean she's now responsible for solving the entire bullying problems of the world. 

Iris:

--- Quote from: MyFamily on August 22, 2012, 08:19:39 PM ---I think a ton of things that are uploaded to YouTube are rude and should never be publically shared like they are, because their whole purpose is to embarress someone, so yeah.

I think she's doing fine with the money.  It was a gift given with no strings.  As I recall, the man who started the drive did so so that Ms. Klein could take a vacation.  More money came in then expected, and she's sharing the wealth with her family.  Just because she was a victim of bullying doesn't mean she's now responsible for solving the entire bullying problems of the world.

--- End quote ---

This. I believe at one stage there was talk that she could *retire* on the money so that she wouldn't have to deal with those horrible brats ever again. If you want to donate to an anti-bullying campaign, do so. Don't give your money to someone and then try to dictate how they spend it. A gift is a gift.

As to Youtube - there are so many, many things that I don't think have any place being uploaded there that this is just a drop in the bucket, but yes, I do agree that this is one thing that should have stayed private.

Hmmmmm:
I do not believe the people who donated expected their money to go for an anti bullying foundation.  They donated to this woman.  There was no statements made that she needed the funds for food, housing or medical bills. 

So how she decides to use the funds is completely up to her.

JonGirl:

I agree with everybody else.
This poor woman was bullied and filmed for all the world to see, she can spend it any way she wants.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version