Author Topic: Thank You E-Hell.  (Read 6089 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Thank You E-Hell.
« on: August 23, 2012, 10:52:40 AM »
SIL and two of her Grandchildren will be paying a week-long visit to MIL starting today.

Yesterday MIL phoned us with the 'wonderful' idea that we should hop the bus and come up to spend a long weekend so, 'we can all be together'. 

For many reasons, this is neither appealing nor prudent.  Frankly, given the children involved, we'd rather poke out our eyes with a spork than spend a long weekend with them. 

Thank you E-Hell for helping me grow the spine to politely tell MIL that such a visit isn't possible. 

We'll phone and talk but we will not be going.

NyaChan

Re: Thank You E-Hell.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 12:28:01 PM »
Good Work Thipu1!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 05:45:03 PM »

Whoot! Whoot! Three cheers! Whoot!
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 08:38:17 PM »
...  Frankly, given the children involved, we'd rather poke out our eyes with a spork than spend a long weekend with them.  ...

That much fun, huh. 

Congratulations on your super duper steely stiff spine!  Yaaaaay!  We LOVE success stories here.   ;D

JennJenn68

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 09:06:54 PM »
Thipu1, I didn't know that you and I had the same family.  This sounds exactly like me when I was faced with the prospect of a week-long "vacation" at a resort with the whole family plus my two nephews, one of whom should be named "Damien".  My excuse became fairly creative--"Whoops, sorry, no can do--I've got to look after the kittens so that Mehitabel (my older and Orson-Welles-like cat) doesn't eat all of their food and promptly explode!"--but oddly enough it was true.  Besides, I had to look after everyone else's houses (and cats) as well. 

Yup.  That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!

As I'm wont to say, I'd rather romance a goat than spend more than a minimum amount of time with SS nephew.  (I've posted about him before, on the Special Snowflake thread.)  Only I use another word in general to replace "romance"...

Congratulations on standing up for your sanity!

Asharah

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 10:06:54 PM »
My great-nephew is named Damian, and it's after Father Damian thank you very much!  ;D
Asharah

JennJenn68

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 10:21:23 AM »
My great-nephew is named Damian, and it's after Father Damian thank you very much!  ;D

Sorry, should have said "Damien Thorn".  (Appropriate, 'cause that kid's a thorn in my side every time I have to interact with him!)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 11:20:04 AM »
Thank you all.

The beauty of E-Hell is that I have learned that an explanation for a polite refusal is not necessary. 

Before, the conversation would have gone something like this.

ME:  The bus will cost us $300 dollars.
MIL:  I will pay for it.

ME:  The trip will take a minimum of 5 hours each way.
MIL: You're both retired.  You have all the time in the world.

MIL:  Don't you want to see SIL?
ME:  She'll be visiting us next month.

Please note, nothing would have been said about the children in question.  Even SIL who is their Grandmother, isn't thrilled with them.  Also, relations between MIL and SIL could, in terms of international diplomacy, be said to be 'correct'. 

However, all this agita can be handled with a simple, 'We're sorry but that won't be possible'.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 09:28:08 PM »
Thipu1, I didn't know that you and I had the same family.  This sounds exactly like me when I was faced with the prospect of a week-long "vacation" at a resort with the whole family plus my two nephews, one of whom should be named "Damien".  My excuse became fairly creative--"Whoops, sorry, no can do--I've got to look after the kittens so that Mehitabel (my older and Orson-Welles-like cat) doesn't eat all of their food and promptly explode!"--but oddly enough it was true.  Besides, I had to look after everyone else's houses (and cats) as well. 

Yup.  That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!

As I'm wont to say, I'd rather romance a goat than spend more than a minimum amount of time with SS nephew.  (I've posted about him before, on the Special Snowflake thread.)  Only I use another word in general to replace "romance"...

Congratulations on standing up for your sanity!

Totally OT, but I looooooove that your cat is named Mehitabel!

(now thinking about a new name on eHell, and perhaps other sites where I use this nick)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 10:47:38 AM »
Go you!! Anytime anyone uses this phrase, I always imagine the person they're speaking to helplessly flailing their arms around, trying to fight with a mist. Makes me smile.  8)
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

BeagleMommy

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 12:36:18 PM »
Yay, Thipu!

Ginderette

• Working on my Social Interaction +1 Skill...
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 03:53:45 PM »
Rock on Thipu!
"Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." ~ Mark Twain