Author Topic: "If Summer Goes, Why Won’t the Guests?" (NYTimes article about bad guests)  (Read 6405 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
wow.

I think that if you are able to give your potential guests a list of do's and don'ts, like one of the people in the article does, then you will be ok. that, and of course, having the spine to kick someone out the first time they do something inappropriate.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

NotTheNarcissist

I thought a list of what to bring was a little over the top but since we live in the sticks I think I understand where the hostess was coming from.

I thought having guests sleep outside was hilarious but I don't have the guts to do that.

I commiserate with all the hosts stories because of the 1 guest who stays with us on occasion who takes over like it's her own home.

I'm pretty much down to just the kids & grand kids staying overnight now. We all get along fine & respect each other.

One thing about having so much company: I am the perfect guest if I do spend the night in someone's home.

Jones

Apparently Mrs. Schwab doesn't like confrontation.

No, really? Someone extends their stay, wears your clothes, complains about your lifestyle and home, parks their car (for free) on your property, steals your money...and you have to scramble for a reason not to give them your house key, too?

"Doesn't like confrontation" is an understatement.

Wittyone

There comes a point when I lose all sympathy for people like Mrs. Schwab and I feel the problem is of their own making.  So she doesn't like confrontation, does anybody?  Still sometimes a confrontation is necessary.  And it doesn't have to be a huge fight.  If it had been me, the second my "guest" walked out in my clothes I would have told her in calm direct terms to take my clothes off and put her own back on. 

She allowed herself to be walked all over.
California

LazyDaisy

Pod Wittyone. I don't have much sympathy for the woman either, but I would have started even earlier -- a one night invitation means one night. A guest never tells me how long they will be staying in my home. I extend an invitation for a specific arrival date and length. After that, they get hotel recommendations.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

Deetee

• Super Hero!
I love the idea of the outdoor bed and would be so happy to be hosted there. I agree you should let people know beforehand as it might not be to everyone's taste, but I think it sounds lovely.

weeblewobble

Re: "If Summer Goes, Why Won’t the Guests?" (NYTimes article about bad guests)
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 06:02:47 AM »
What made the Schwab story even more horrifying was that she wasn't even a friend of their's.  She was a friend of a friend.  Who does this to people they don't even know?

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 07:50:42 PM »

I quite like camping, but I can definitely see how guests could get upset if they arrived and suddenly found out that they were sleeping outside.

I tend to have hay-fever, and depending on the time of year and area, might not be able to manage sleeping outside without drugging myself nearly comatose. Sleeping inside, with the ability to close the window, makes a huge difference during the dawn flower opening and spraying pollen everywhere period.

sourwolf

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 08:07:51 PM »
I love the idea of the outdoor bed and would be so happy to be hosted there. I agree you should let people know beforehand as it might not be to everyone's taste, but I think it sounds lovely.

Me too - I can just imagine waking up as the sun rise curled up under a nice summer blanket.  Heaven!