Author Topic: I made Salmon Chowder today!  (Read 825 times)

greencat

I made Salmon Chowder today!
« on: August 25, 2012, 02:02:26 AM »
I felt like flexing my cooking muscles today, and I couldn't find a recipe online that matched the hodgepodge of potential ingredients I had available.  This worked out amazingly well - although it's not a particularly exact recipe because I fail at measuring cups and was just using up what I had.  This made at least 6 single-bowl sized servings.  I haven't found the bottom of the pan yet  ::)

Ingredients:
1/3 pound salmon, skin off.  I actually quickly fried the skin side to make the skin peel off.  Don't cut it up.
One fairly large red potato - that is, a really big example of a normally small potato type.  A bit bigger than a large egg.
2/3 stick of butter - about 5 1/2 tablespoons, for those whose butter does not come in American-sized sticks. 
Fresh dill - about 6 sprigs.  I think it came out to about 2 tablespoons all chopped up.
Two cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/3 cup of flour - this is the measuring cup that lives in my flour bag :)
1 ear of white corn
4 cups milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions.
Dice the potato into half-inch cubes. 
Mince the garlic and the dill together.
Melt the butter in the pan over med-high heat - so it's burning just a little bit.  Stir the flour into it bit by bit.  Basically, make a roux.  It should end up kind of medium brown. 
Add the garlic and dill.
Put the salmon in the pan.
Cut the corn off the cob directly into the pan.
Add the potatoes.
Pour in the milk and add the thyme and salt and pepper.
Cook over med-high heat for about 15 minutes, stirring, until the potatoes are cooked through and the salmon falls apart into little lumps when you poke at it. 

For spice lovers, you can do what I did and throw in half a red chili pepper - not chopped up, just cooked in it.  I was kind of surprised at how much heat that imparted to the chowder!

MOM21SON

Re: I made Salmon Chowder today!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 04:02:02 PM »
That sounds wonderful!  Thanks.