Forum Administration > Forum Announcements

Bumping old threads instead of making new ones

(1/4) > >>

Pippen:
Hi, could someone please tell me if it is OK to bump old threads on here? I have found one that is hilarious and on topic so to me it seems to make more sense to add to that rather than start a whole new one.

I have noticed some people comment how old a thread is when this is done so I'm just not sure how other people view it. The last post in this thread was in March 2012 and is 20 pages long.

Many thanks.

Ceallach:
I believe it would depend on the topic.

If it was a specific question by a particular poster, continuing it now could cause a great deal of confusion as people will start addressing advice to that person who may no longer be around.  If a thread is very old it can also be annoying to somebody who participated years back to suddenly have the thread popping up so many years later when perhaps they're not interested in participating in that conversation anymore.    However, if it was more of a joke or general story type thread etc then it would probably be ok. 

March 2012 isn't that long ago so I think it would be fine, but obviously that's just one person's opinion.  In general I prefer old threads not suddenly re-appear unless there's an actual update to that story, I'd rather see a topic raised again from a different angle.   But 5 months isn't that long.  I'd be interested to hear what others think about this!

Pippen:

--- Quote from: Ceallach on August 26, 2012, 09:41:51 PM ---I believe it would depend on the topic.

If it was a specific question by a particular poster, continuing it now could cause a great deal of confusion as people will start addressing advice to that person who may no longer be around.  If a thread is very old it can also be annoying to somebody who participated years back to suddenly have the thread popping up so many years later when perhaps they're not interested in participating in that conversation anymore.    However, if it was more of a joke or general story type thread etc then it would probably be ok. 

March 2012 isn't that long ago so I think it would be fine, but obviously that's just one person's opinion.  In general I prefer old threads not suddenly re-appear unless there's an actual update to that story, I'd rather see a topic raised again from a different angle.   But 5 months isn't that long.  I'd be interested to hear what others think about this!

--- End quote ---

Thanks. It is a general type of thread along the lines of the 'Special Snowflake' one so people just add their experiences so it isn't actually asking for advice as such. I was having a laugh reading it and thought it deserved to be resurrected. There are probably plenty of similar ones but when I did a search this one stuck out the most.

sparksals:
I find it very confusing when someone starts a new thread as an update to an old thread.   Many people have not seen the original thread, do not know the history, so I prefer it if they update, they update the existing thread b/c those watching it will be notified of the update.  Those with no knowledge can read the existing thread right there without being confused. 

I don't mind old threads being bumped.  It provides the history necessary for those who have not seen it.

Ceallach:

--- Quote from: sparksals on August 27, 2012, 12:47:30 AM ---I find it very confusing when someone starts a new thread as an update to an old thread.   Many people have not seen the original thread, do not know the history, so I prefer it if they update, they update the existing thread b/c those watching it will be notified of the update.  Those with no knowledge can read the existing thread right there without being confused. 

I don't mind old threads being bumped.  It provides the history necessary for those who have not seen it.

--- End quote ---

Oh yeah I totally agree - if it's an actual update e.g. by the same poster or person involved - then it should go in the same thread so those involved can see it.    Otherwise it feels like some kind of in-joke or confusing conversation where people assume you know what's going on. 

But if it's another poster who happens to stumble on to an interesting topic from ages ago and bump it up, that can get really confusing because none of the original parties are involved, and people reading it don't realise how old it is and start giving really specific advice to a 5 year old question etc.    It works if it's a generic topic like SS stories, but doesn't really work if it's a thread discussing 1 person's specific issue.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version