Author Topic: Good sportsmanship and teamwork - made me smile  (Read 1216 times)

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
Good sportsmanship and teamwork - made me smile
« on: August 12, 2007, 04:40:12 PM »
Remember the story of the Special Olympics foot race, where all the kids allegedly turn back and help the kid who fell, and they all go arm in arm to the finish line? (It's on Snopes, which reveals the story is true but details have been exaggerated in the retelling. It wasn't all the kids who stopped to help the fallen kid, just two or three of them.)

I saw something similar happen yesterday. I was at a cardboard boat race on the river, a fund-raiser for a local educational project. People -- mostly kids -- made these boats out of cardboard/duct tape, or 100 percent recycled materials, and some were more seaworthy/able to cover distance than others.

This one boat was made out of a plastic sled -- one of those very shallow ones, and it raced in both the kids and recycled boat division. It had a terrible time getting any distance and was taking on water at a rapid rate. You could tell that the young "skipper" was getting as frustrated as all get-out. There was no way it was going to get back to the start/finish line, much less even come close to completing the course.

One of the other boats, also piloted by youngsters, managed to hook up with it and tow it to shore. The good Samaritan boat didn't place, but what a great example of sportsmanship! Who says "kids these days" only care about themselves?

I was the "play by play" announcer for this race, and I made a point of praising the G/S boat's crew. There was no prize for sportsmanship, but I have suggested they have one next year!
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

kateqd

Re: Good sportsmanship and teamwork - made me smile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 09:36:53 PM »
Awesome! This reminds me of a story about my dad and sister and our family canoe. In PA there are games called the PA State Games, they are the olympics of PA and my dad got it in his head that he and my sister would enter the canoe race. They arrived and all these people are in racing canoes all geared out, it was crazy and here are my dad and sis unloading the family canoe with our big wooden paddles, dressed in cut-offs and t-shirts. They were supposed to do 3 laps in the lake. They only completed one. By that time everyone else had already completed their 3, the medals had been handed out, it was hilarious and heartbreaking. But each and every competitor stayed and cheered the two of them on and by the time they crossed the finish line the other canoers and the people watching (the families of the other canoers) were going nuts. They ran into the water to help them out and dragged the boat onto the shore, great jobs were given all around, but mostly for the two of them.
Its nice when people are good isnt it?

bopper

• Super Hero!
Re: Good sportsmanship and teamwork - made me smile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 09:49:39 PM »
We went to the real Olympics in Utah, and were watching the Grand Slalom Ski event.  To win you have to really cut close those flags.  Toward the end there was a skiier from East Nowhereistan who just missed a gate.  He climbed back up the hill about 20 feet to go around the flag so he could continue without defaulting.  He got the most applause of all.