Author Topic: Portland Maine, in October  (Read 2232 times)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Portland Maine, in October
« on: August 27, 2012, 05:43:18 PM »
Any tips?  Must see places?  Any festivals?

DF and I are getting married and plan to spend the week afterward in Portland as a "mini-moon" (we have a bigger trip planned for the spring, but want to relax immediately after the wedding).  We have a hotel already in Portland, about 2 miles from Old Port, and a list of the 5 top lobster roll places in the area (the article says they couldn't name just 1 as there are opposing views on things like butter vs mayo, seasoned vs bare, lettuce or unadorned) but other then that we're winging it.

Chickadee

Re: Portland Maine, in October
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 06:01:36 PM »
Bar Harbor is beautiful, and I think there is a fair (maybe in Freeport?) sometime in October. I'm in a bit of a rush at the moment, but I will see if I can find the particulars for you. Really, anywhere on the coast is just gorgeous. Acadia National Park is great.

And best wishes to you and your fiance!

ETA: I just checked. It's the Fryeburg Fair, and this year it's Sept 30 through Oct 7. As for lobster, according to my family in Maine (I was raised in central Maine) right now lobster is cheaper than beef by the pound right now.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:14:52 PM by Chickadee »

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 06:17:09 PM »
Thanks!  But we aren't going anywhere near Bar Harbor or Arcadia - way too long a drive (that's an extra 3 hours - its already 5-6 hours to Portland from NYC where we are starting, we don't want to spend the whole trip sitting in a car).  We figure there's got to be plenty to do within an hour or so drive of Portland itself.  I know there are several walking & hiking trails, and the Old Port & seaport area and museums, etc I'm just not sure where to start in planning what to see.

(Actually one of my big problems is planning is as soon as either he or I say "Maine" everyone jumps on Arcadia as the place to see... poor Portland!)

Chickadee

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 08:44:51 PM »
Oops! Another niece lives in Portland, so I'll pick her brain for some good places to go. I haven't lived in Maine for 22 years, and sometimes I forget just how far it is from place to place.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 09:55:28 PM »
If you like beer, check out Gritty McDuff's Brewpub on Fore Street in downtown Portland.

JoW

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 11:25:03 PM »
Early October or late October?  In late October you'll need a parka. 

If the weather is nice and you like rocky coast go to 2 Lights State Park in Cape Elizabeth. 
Take the ferry that goes to the inhabited islands in Casco bay.  The passenger-only fare is pretty cheap.  It leaves from the waterfront in Portland.  Dress warmly.  Its always cooler on the ocean. 

LL Bean is in Freeport, about 45 minutes or an hour north on I-95.  Other businesses have moved in to take advantage of the Bean traffic.  The whole village has turned into a shopping center. 

If you want to explore get on route 1 or route 88 and see where you end up. 

I went to high school up that way, but that was a long time ago.  The city has changed a lot since then.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 09:31:57 AM »
Thanks all!  I love the idea of a ferry and I think DF would like to go to LL Bean.

I sent away yesterday for some Rail to Trail guidebooks too, although I'm betting there are other trails for walking an hiking as well.

We're going mid-Oct (15-19) so I planned to bring a heavy coat and lots of hoodies and sweaters and wool socks and boots etc - as far as I'm concerned Maine in Oct is likely to be Arctic (I shiver at anything less then 70! I've only been to Portland once before in August and I had to wear a heavy hoodie the whole time.)  :)  DF wanted to stay in a rustic cabin, I nixed that idea as none were heated - I've camped in NH and VT in the summer and found the nights to be uncomfortably cold, no way am I spending a night in an unheated cabin in Maine in October!  We went with a 3 star hotel via Priceline!

cutejellybeen

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 09:49:10 AM »
I'm not a massive amount of help ( I am only ever in Portland to shop - we drive down from New Brunswick, Canada). However I know there are a few restaurants in Portland that have been featured on different Food Channel shows - we didnt try any of them as we were only there a day,but my husband has told me we will be next time. I'm told that the port area is beautiful, and you might get to see a cruise ship in town, Portland recently started attracting the ships. I still find it fun to see the ships in the Harbour in Saint John NB, even though we have 2-3 a week in throughout the summer months.

The weather will likely be cool, but the leaves should be gorgeous that time of year.

I hope you have a great trip!

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 03:52:13 PM »
Early October or late October?  In late October you'll need a parka. 

LL Bean is in Freeport, about 45 minutes or an hour north on I-95.  Other businesses have moved in to take advantage of the Bean traffic.  The whole village has turned into a shopping center. 

If you want to explore get on route 1 or route 88 and see where you end up. 

I went to high school up that way, but that was a long time ago.  The city has changed a lot since then.

I think Freeport sounds great, too.  And on your way home (assuming you are driving) stop at the Maine Diner in Wells, ME
http://www.mainediner.com/

And save room for a doughnut at Congdon's (also in Wells)
http://congdons.com/

Or you can walk through the Old Port in Kennebunk  - so cute!  (And drive by Walker Point, summer home to the Bush family.)
Formerly Mrs.Bart

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 06:05:17 PM »
Thanks!  We leave Monday  :D