Author Topic: What to do with old National Geographics?  (Read 1546 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
What to do with old National Geographics?
« on: August 28, 2012, 04:29:21 PM »
So I have FINALLY convinced DH that several DVDs of past National Geographics take up much less shelf space than the dead-tree version. 

So what do I do with the print issues?  They range from 1979 to 2009.  Beginning in the 1990's, most of them are slipcased and in pretty good condition for the most part.  The earlier issues are not.  Some of them have had pictures cut out for school reports and the like.  If anyone wants them and is in driving distance of Baltimore, PM me.

Otherwise, does anyone know if Goodwill/Salvation Army/other thrift shops will take them?  Or just trash them even if I donate them? Can schools make use of them?  Crafters? I've already checked eBay, and it looks like no offers there are getting any takers.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

snowdragon

Re: What to do with old National Geographics?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 04:31:32 PM »
Why not a nursing home? The residents might like them.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 04:40:19 PM »
When I worked at a hospital there was a posted sign in the main lobbies regarding what types of old magazines we would take.  Old National Geographics and old Readers Digests were acceptable regardless of the age; everything else had to be within a couple of years old.  People were dejunking their magazines to the hospital on a regular basis, and some of the magazines I found dated to the Pleistocene era (I swear.)  Some of this was just trash, but in the clinic where I worked the patients enjoyed the old Readers Digests.  And yes, I did bring in my old magazines for our waiting room, although not my Astronomy magazines. 

So, you might check with the local hospitals and clinics.  Who knows?

Jones

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 04:48:23 PM »
There's Freecycle, too; with the traditional school year just starting, some parents might be on the lookout for magazines their students can use in upcoming projects.

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 05:17:05 PM »
There is a push in torn paper collage art & those are perfect for that!

My vote is to donate to local art club, library or freecycle.

If I lived closer I would love to take them off your hands!

sevenday

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 06:27:35 PM »
Nursing/retirement homes, doctors' offices, maybe hospitals - intensive care wards might appreciate it, something to read while you're waiting anxiously for news.  Colleges or other art students are also a good bet too.  I think they are recyclable also if all else fails.  My mother used to collect various magazines from her fellow teachers (random subjects, like Nat'l Geo, kids' magazines, crafters, etc) and bring them to my... Well, we just called her Granny - an older relative that lived next door and was virtually housebound due to age and infirmity.  She would basically live in this little room reading magazines, Reader's Digests, anything we could bring her.  Then they'd be recycled.  When she finally died last year, she had several crates full of them still in there.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 06:39:41 PM »
There is a push in torn paper collage art & those are perfect for that!

My vote is to donate to local art club, library or freecycle.

If I lived closer I would love to take them off your hands!

I would agree with looking into donating the magazines to schools or art clubs.  Libraries won't want them for their collections but they'd be very welcome for children's art projects. This is also a good thing to do if you have bags of yarn or fabric scraps. 

I also remember a church group that used illustrations from National Geographic to make decoupage pieces they then sold to support a food pantry.  You might want to check into projects like this. 

P.S.  When I was trying to type 'or fabric scraps', the marvel that is spell-check turned that phrase into 'orgasms'.  Nasty, nasty spell check. 

jmarvellous

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 06:47:16 PM »
I volunteer for this group:
www.insidebooksproject.org/

A similar organization nearer to you (if you don't want to pay to ship), would love your National Geographics. Their recipients request them ALL the time.

Pippen

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 06:54:11 PM »
I donate old books and the like to the local prison. The lovely librarian there comes to my house and we go through which ones are suitable and within their guidelines. She is extremely grateful as most of the other books they get donated are from church groups and have religious slants to them which gets a bit tiresome and seeing increasing literacy is so important they really need things that will keep the guys engaged. Nat Geos would be great for them as they have a wide range of subjects, great pictures and articles and are more engaging than long books which are sometimes to much of a challenge.

Pippen

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 06:55:51 PM »
I volunteer for this group:
www.insidebooksproject.org/

A similar organization nearer to you (if you don't want to pay to ship), would love your National Geographics. Their recipients request them ALL the time.

Snap!

GeauxTigers

• Runs with scissors
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 09:20:34 PM »
If there are any photography hobbyist groups in your area, they might also be interested.

I'd hang on to the original Titanic issue, though. The DVD just isn't the same as the epic fold-out composite photo of the entire wreck.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 10:09:46 PM »
Yes, do make enquiries - but be prepared that it's possible that no one wants them.  This could be especially true if you're in a large metro area where all kinds of people have old NG magazines - any institution that would like them possibly already has more than they could use.  It could be different in a more rural area.

We recently down-sized my mother to a retirement home and had to dispose of an incredible amount of stuff.  Some things - such as slightly-chipped dishes, casseroles etc. - you can't even give away.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 11:11:20 PM »
My Dad gave his to the library. We lived in a very small town and they didn't have many magazines, so they were thrilled. If your local library doesn't want them maybe a branch in a smaller community or school might?

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 11:19:21 PM »
I had some donated to my classroom and my students loved them.

magician5

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 11:54:54 PM »
When I worked at a hospital there was a posted sign in the main lobbies regarding what types of old magazines we would take.  Old National Geographics and old Readers Digests were acceptable regardless of the age; everything else had to be within a couple of years old.  People were dejunking their magazines to the hospital on a regular basis, and some of the magazines I found dated to the Pleistocene era (I swear.)  Some of this was just trash, but in the clinic where I worked the patients enjoyed the old Readers Digests.  And yes, I did bring in my old magazines for our waiting room, although not my Astronomy magazines. 

Why not Astronomy Magazine? There are, among the general population, people curious about fields outside their usual "home turf". I am so sick of going to the doctor's office and having to choose between Golf Digest and Parents ... and that's all.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.