Author Topic: Cancelling a Date (Urgent)  (Read 5066 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Cancelling a Date (Urgent)
« on: August 28, 2012, 06:21:21 PM »
I have a 2nd date tonight with a really nice guy. Unfortunately I also have a migraine that isn't going away. How late can I reasonably cancel? Should I cancel now, or can I wait until 2 hours before the date in case I feel better?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Cancelling a Date (Urgent)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 06:25:40 PM »
Call him now. Explain that while you might feel better in a couple of hours, you just can't guarantee it.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 06:28:41 PM »
I agree with cancelling now.  I don't think I'd mention that you might feel better later as then he might feel obligated to wait on you to call back with  final decision versus just making alternate plans.  But I would say you'd like to go ahead and reschedule if he is willing, just to make sure he knows your not trying to blow him off.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 06:29:10 PM »
Call him now, explain the situation and ask what he wants to do (cancel right away, call again 30 minutes or an hour before the planned meeting time,...).

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 06:30:31 PM »
Call him now. Explain that while you might feel better in a couple of hours, you just can't guarantee it.

Yes, call him now before it gets any worse. Look at it this way; even if it lets up in a few hours, you'll most likely be completely drained.

Definitely ask to reschedule, though.
Utah

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 07:25:36 PM »
Ugh, you're right. I just like this guy and don't want to mess things up. I texted him and asked to reschedule.

greencat

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 08:48:01 PM »
Be really, really proactive about the rescheduling - offer the guy specific days and times when you're free.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 10:14:30 PM »
He suggested tomorrow, same time, same place: maybe he's as excited as I am.  ;D

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 10:19:56 PM »
Glad to hear it worked out! 

I cancelled a date once at the last minute.  My hot water heater had broken and the repairman was late getting there.  He was also a misogynistic jerk.  So not only had I not had a shower, I wasn't in a very good mood.

I called and asked to reschedule, on the basis that I wouldn't be very good company.  We met up a day or so later.  We didn't end up dating long term but we had a couple of pleasant of evenings.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 12:51:39 AM »
Second date went really well. He even called at lunch time to make sure that I felt better and wrestled with me over the check even though he paid for the first date. Third date is planned and I'm really looking forward to it.

Isometric

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 01:23:21 AM »
Great update!

Hope you're feeling better.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 10:55:25 PM »
Glad it went well.

As a fellow migraine sufferer, I definitely vote for letting someone know ASAP. In my case, I have no car so getting from my home to a location involves a fair amount of public transportation. I'd rather know three hours ahead of time that things aren't working than get on my bus, get to the metro, wait for the train and then find out that you need to cancel. In the first case, stuff happens. In the second- I'd be pretty annoyed if it wasn't an emergency, and IMO a migraine you knew about several hours before the date would not qualify.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Van down by the river

• This must be what going mad feels like.
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 05:22:54 PM »
How exciting!! I'm so happy it worked out!!