Author Topic: How to respond when someone tells you "How you should be using facebook"  (Read 4340 times)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
  I post a lot of random stuff, updates on my life when something exciting happens, political stuff, science stuff, stuff I find funny, you tube videos and kitten pictures.  Sometimes I even post funny kitten videos Like this one for example.

I posted something to Facebook (a news item that described something I found totally offensive) with a comment about how offensive it was and why I thought so.  A person I have recently friended made a comment "You need to stop posting political stuff and only post updates about your life."

Is ignoring this comment a polite option? 

mrkitty

Yes. And, I would probably say ignoring her altogether might be another polite option as well, should you feel like it.

If she doesn't like your news feeds or updates, opinions, etc., she can always change HER settings, I guess.
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Yes. Deleting her comment would also be fine.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
There's nothing wrong with deleting the post and ignoring her.  I would defriend.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Queen of Clubs

I posted something to Facebook (a news item that described something I found totally offensive) with a comment about how offensive it was and why I thought so.  A person I have recently friended made a comment "You need to stop posting political stuff and only post updates about your life."

Is ignoring this comment a polite option?

Definitely.  It's up to the individual how s/he uses Facebook, and if this person dislikes seeing your political posts, s/he is free to ignore them or defriend you.

O'Dell

"I'm afraid that won't be possible. I'll understand if you want to hide or defriend me."
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Mikayla

I don't think there's any action that would be wrong here:  respond to the comment, delete the comment, defriend the person, ignore it completely.  There may be rudeness in HOW any of these are done, but the actions themselves are sort of etiquette neutral. 

CrochetFanatic

I'd be tempted to reply with "Thanks for the unsolicited advice", but that probably isn't a good idea.  For whatever reason, you feel very strongly about something you posted, and there is nothing wrong with that.  There is also no rule that says the other person has to see it.  It's very simple.  They don't want to see?  They can hide it on their news feed.  Poof!  Gone.

No, it wouldn't be impolite to let it pass without comment.

SuperMartianRobotGirl

There are lots of ways you could respond.

You could ignore.

You could defriend.

You could say something like, "I know the politcal season isn't much fun, but this is an issue that is important to me and I'll feel free to continue commenting on it, and anything else that interests me. If you find that to be a reason to defriend, I understand."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
My brother tends to use fbook mostly for keeping in touch with friends and family, and doesn't really say a whole lot.  The majority of his posts are links to music videos, once in a while organizing things.  Truth is, I find out a lot more about what he's up to by his girlfriend's status.  Point is, he doesn't really say anything personal cause he's rather private.

Well I guess one day a few years ago he says "I was told I need to say more on facebook.  So.  There ya go."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: How to respond when someone tells you "How you should be using facebook"
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 07:12:51 PM »
How about "I realize that you might not agree with my political views and I woun't be hurt if you want to block me, especially from now until the election"

spookycatlady

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 08:52:37 AM »
Oh, the Bosses of Facebook.

I'm married to one.  My BFF from high school is one.  It's not enough for them to control their feed, but feel the need to control everyone else's too.

I would delete it and continue on as normal.  If this person comments again publically, I would send a private message saying, "I have no issue with you hiding me or defriending me, if you are uncomfortable."  Neither the Dude or the BFF calls me out in public anymore. 

I think that's the most polite way.  I've never had to escalate beyond deleting a comment, for what that's worth. 

MrTango

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 10:55:21 AM »
I'd probably just defriend her and be done with it.

If she's someone who would create drama over being defriended, then just put her on your "restricted" list.  She won't be able to see anything unless you make it public.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 11:23:55 AM »
I block them and check back in every once in a while to decide whether to unfriend. Don't boss me around.

You don't have to respond to anything. We have one Friend who said in person that she is kind of hurt when no one Likes her links. We didn't say anything and thought she should just take a hint. If her circle doesn't Like them, don't be hurt and don't post. We keep her because we love to hear about her son.

I am really good at skimming, so when people post things I'm not interested in, I just scroll by. I don't tell them how to use their Facebook. I think I did finally manage to stop all game notices. Frankly, I don't care how many lambs someone has and I will not play Mystery Garden with anyone. Those are not usually generated by the Friend anyway.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 01:02:49 PM »
"I will give your suggestion all due consideration."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain