Author Topic: Yes, but I expect better  (Read 6140 times)

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
Re: Yes, but I expect better
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 11:11:34 PM »
I went to private school (not religious based) and our principal and head master both helped move stuff around and even do lawn care work and then have to meet with parents or go to a meeting.  So I would let that slide.

The other things might be a problem.
93 93/93

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 11:14:50 PM »
I wouldn't address 1and 2 until you saw it repeated.  I can imagine a principal at the start of a school year heavily involved in moving things to classrooms so dressing casually or being so busy that the first time he had a moment for a drink was as he was running into chappel.

But I would address 3.  Send the principal a note saying you were suprised you had not been notified by him that your volunteer service was not required before you showed up.  But you realize he does not have a volunteer coordinator.  You'd be happy to advocate with the parent council to identify a volunteer coordinator role in an effort to improve communication. 

edited to fix typos.

Re number 3 - if this is the beginning of the school year, it's possible that they might not have a volunteer co-ordinator yet, or an active parent council.  These things do take a few weeks to sort out, quite often.  So while it's annoying, I don't think it's necessarily appropriate to pin it onto an overworked principal.

charlatan

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 11:34:32 PM »
I too would think it admirable if he had been doing dirty work for the school just prior to the meeting, but wouldn't he have explained that? I would be mortified to look so unprofessional in front of a group of parents with no explanation.

Danismom

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 06:48:12 AM »
Since this is a new school for your family, you are also trying to figure out what the school's culture and atmosphere are. You were expecting it to be more formal because it is a private school. You may be finding that the culture is very informal. You can check with your child's teacher and other parents who've been at the school longer to find out if the principal's informality is just his or if it transfers to the school's culture. Then you have a better understanding of what's going on and how to address it (or even if you should). 

For the volunteer thing, I think you can talk with him to explain your sacrifice and how you would prefer to be notified in the future. Let him know how you want to be treated. GL!

snowdragon

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 08:22:17 PM »
1) would not bother me too much. especially at teh start or end of the year.  there is so much the principal could have been doing that would qualify as school business that I would not bat an eye

2) having working in a church as a volunteer for many years, I would not bat an eye at this before or after the service. DURING the service. I would wonder but expect that the clergy would deal with anything not kosher with them

3) I would address, but after I cooled down.

Bees

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 07:58:48 PM »
It is unfortunate that he didn't properly acknowledge your volunteer status when you arrived. But he was worried about how you were getting home ;D. If it was a last minute snafu with the transportation maybe it had just occurred  and he was still dealing with trying to make other arrangements.

If you have a tried and true method for keeping volunteers in the loop, telephone tree, open calendar, etc maybe you could share that with him.