Author Topic: Politely asking a teacher about discipline--Update #29  (Read 8581 times)

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
Re: Politely asking a teacher about discipline--Update #29
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 04:06:03 PM »
This is a really great update! I'm so glad everything is going smoothly for you.
Utah

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 07:51:43 PM »
glad for the update.

In general, I would suggest an email like the one you wanted to send would be worded this way:

Hi, teacher,
Jean told me that she'd gotten two red cards this week. Of course, that sounds so alarming. I only have her perspective on it, so I'd be grateful if you could update me.

Thanks! Jean's mom

DistantStar

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2012, 10:23:48 AM »
It sounds like a good update.  I know I had a problem early in first grade with acting out, but it was because I was already reading at upper elementary levels and was bored in class!  Once my teacher figured out that my mom wasn't being an SS she made adjustments and all was well.  I was wondering if it was something like that, but it sounds like it was totally different.  I was a strong-willed kid, too, which I'm sure didn't help at the time.

I am no genius, just from a family of early readers.  You should not see me with math.  :(

Brockwest

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2012, 08:53:48 AM »
At good schools, parents are quite actively involved. I think it quite important to politely and respectfully contact the teacher and ask if there is a problem and what you can do to help.
I believe strongly in supporting teachers, but I also know not all teachers are angels, so it is a good way of quietly checking out the situation.  Is the child misbehaving? (probably.)  Is the teacher being unreasonable? (probably not.)
At our schools, teachers now have school e-mails, and parents are encouraged to keep in touch. This way is an excellent way, as emotions can be kept to a minimum and the e-mail can be read over before being sent.
I would e-mail "Dear Ms J., Betty Sue told me she got two red cards this week. Is there something I should discuss with her?  How may I help in this situation?"   
Simple, non-accusatory, helpful.