Author Topic: Kicking out a new playgroup mom  (Read 36770 times)

bopper

• Super Hero!
Re: Kicking out a new playgroup mom
« Reply #195 on: September 14, 2012, 09:07:23 AM »
I like this analogy - up to a point.

It is my personal belief that people who are not "normal" should be accommodated in our society. This starts with wheelchair ramps and website accessibility standards and it continues through understanding that some people such as those with Aspergers find it hard to learn the social norms and that developmentally different children might make noise in church. I think that it behoves us all to make reasonable accommodation for everyone.

On the other hand, accomodations need to be made for school, for example, as that is a public place. Or church.
But you don't have to have handicap ramps for your private home.
Just as though you need to accomodate special needs kids at school, doesn't mean you have to add them to your friend group.  Give them a chance? She did and it did not work out.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #196 on: September 14, 2012, 10:00:55 AM »
I might downplay the "safe" aspect and simply say, "unpleasant, uncomfortable."

Because EVEN THAT is enough to mean she will not be allowed into a nicely functioning group of moms.

And the "safe" thing may sound like an overreaction, and may make the basic argument less credible.

But I agree that iif LP wants to pursue it, Margo's script is good.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #197 on: September 14, 2012, 10:17:50 AM »
It's unfortunate, certainly, if the Mom is just a socially awkward person with an unfortunate vibe.

But the practical side of this is, if she makes everyone uncomfortable, and yet is allowed into the playgroup, the rest of the group will stop coming. This is something they do because it appeals to them - take away the appeal, and the group disintegrates.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."