A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Humor Me!

Etiquette Silliness

(1/4) > >>

Thipu1:
Have you ever encountered an action that someone considers correct behavior but you consider just, plain silly?

A few years ago, there were young people in the Education Department of the museum who maintained that the proper way to eat cookies was with a knife and fork.

I contend that if you try that, you'll end up eating your cookies with a spoon because all you'll have to eat will be crumbs. 

Anyone know of other examples of etiquette silliness? 

jmarvellous:
Mom always said it's rude to be barefoot if her feet are cold!

:o

Alternately: "Looking at your goosebumps is making me cold! Put a sweater on!"

Sirius:
Being fussed at for calling a man "sir" or a woman "ma'am."  What do they expect the rest of the world to call them if their names aren't known?  And I'm sure a lot of them would get equally offended if addressed as "Hey, you!"

Hmmmmm:
I remember this exchange with a friend's mom at a brunch for her DD's shower.

Hostess offer's bride's mom a glass of sangria which she accepts.  I knew the mom didn't drink alcohol. 

Me quietly to bride's mom: You are aware that has wine?
Bride's mom:  Yes, but she offered and I couldn't say no.
Me:  Why?
Bride's mom:  Because she offered and you can't turn down something that is offered at a party.
Me:  She would be fine with getting you something else.  She has tons of sparkling water, juice and coffee.
Bride's mom:  But she offered Sangria so that's what I have to accept.
Me:  So what are you going to do with it?
Bride' mom:  I'll just hold it, I'll be fine without drinking anything.
Me:  Just set it down in the kitchen.
Bride's mom:  No, that would be rude to waste it like that and what if she saw me.
Me:  (Sigh)  You want me to drink it so you can get something else?
Bride's mom:  Would you mind? 

Me thinking no, not at all, I'll be glad to down a full glass of sangria on an empty stomache at 11am.  I did have a great time at the shower and a really wonderful nap that afternoon.

Luci:
Not clearing a plate and not taking the last serving of something for the sake of etiquette is nuts to me.

It really bugs me at a buffet, especially if I am the hostess, to see all those plates come back with food I worked hard to prepare being thrown out, unless of course the diner just didn't like it, which I understand.

Sorry. It's not funny, but I do think it's silly. Well, I did laugh the first time I heard it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version