A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Humor Me!

Etiquette Silliness

<< < (2/4) > >>

Thipu1:
Another thread reminded me of greeting card etiquette that verged on the absurd.

There was a sept of the family that was very, very touchy about the imagery on Birthday cards.

If you sent a card with an image of puppies that meant you thought the recipient was a dog.

If you send a card with a kitten, that meant you thought the recipient was sly.

The deity forbid that you thought a card with an image of a skunk smelling a rose was cute.   

For that part of the family, the only safe image was one of flowers.  Even then, that didn't always work.  Not being completely versed in the language of flowers, I was a bit nonplussed when a cousin remarked that my card with an image of yellow roses wasn't appropriate. 

oz diva:
That's like giving someone some nice soap and being asked if you're giving it because they smell. No, you don't smell, it's nice soap, just enjoy it. Stop being a idiot.

Thipu1:

--- Quote from: oz diva on September 04, 2012, 09:28:51 PM ---That's like giving someone some nice soap and being asked if you're giving it because they smell. No, you don't smell, it's nice soap, just enjoy it. Stop being a idiot.

--- End quote ---

They did that too.

Sirius:

--- Quote from: Thipu1 on September 04, 2012, 09:12:15 PM ---Another thread reminded me of greeting card etiquette that verged on the absurd.

There was a sept of the family that was very, very touchy about the imagery on Birthday cards.

If you sent a card with an image of puppies that meant you thought the recipient was a dog.

If you send a card with a kitten, that meant you thought the recipient was sly.

The deity forbid that you thought a card with an image of a skunk smelling a rose was cute.   

For that part of the family, the only safe image was one of flowers.  Even then, that didn't always work.  Not being completely versed in the language of flowers, I was a bit nonplussed when a cousin remarked that my card with an image of yellow roses wasn't appropriate.

--- End quote ---

Send them cards with pictures of galaxies, planets, etc. on them, and if they don't like those be shocked that they took offense at the wonder and beauty of the universe.  Then, if they still take offense, send them a card with a picture of the planet Uranus, and see if they get the hint.   

Jones:
I'd be tempted to purchase a plain white card, no image at all, and just write a greeting on the inside. Yeesh!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version