Author Topic: Don't Drink from my Bottle! - Update #52  (Read 13369 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Don't Drink from my Bottle!
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 02:35:39 PM »
Oh, yes.  I've had it happen to me.  Fortunately, I keep a good supply of new toothbrushes handy.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 02:35:50 PM »
If your SIL comes to visit you, I'd hide your toothbrushes.  If she is this cavalier about drinking out of someone else's bottle or glass, I wouldn't put it past her to use someone else's toothbrush.  And if the gums bleed, that would make the transmission risk that much higher!

Do people do that? That seems like a stretch to me.

Yes, it they do.  My niece was shocked when my son yelled at her for using his toothbrush while she was here visiting.  In her house, everyone shares toothbrushes, so she just grabbed the first one she saw in the bathroom.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

BarensMom

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 02:39:14 PM »
I asked DH about this and he said that it was a weird family thing and to quote, "I grew out of and she didn't."  I'm wondering if it isn't some weird domination thing.  DH thinks I should just stop drinking in the car, but it doesn't solve the restaurant incidents.

No, I don't like to share my bottle/glass with anyone - I'll share with DH if I have to.   I did research Hep C and the source says that contracting it through saliva is minimal, but still.

Yesterday, I provided her an unopened bottle and even helped her open it at a stop light.  She drank from the new bottle, then next I knew she was drinking from my half-empty bottle.  It usually happens when I have my attention on driving, so by the time I notice, the damage is done.

Van down by the river

• This must be what going mad feels like.
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 02:45:06 PM »
Oh, yes.  I've had it happen to me.  Fortunately, I keep a good supply of new toothbrushes handy.

Oh YUCK! *makes note to hide toothbrush*

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 02:46:33 PM »

Oh YUCK! *makes note to hide toothbrush*

*shudder*

OP, you definitely need to be blunt about this.
Utah

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 02:48:42 PM »
If your SIL comes to visit you, I'd hide your toothbrushes.  If she is this cavalier about drinking out of someone else's bottle or glass, I wouldn't put it past her to use someone else's toothbrush.  And if the gums bleed, that would make the transmission risk that much higher!

Yes, it they do.  My niece was shocked when my son yelled at her for using his toothbrush while she was here visiting.  In her house, everyone shares toothbrushes, so she just grabbed the first one she saw in the bathroom.

OMGoodness, that honestly made me shudder.

I'm not sure, but it kind of sounds like you're worried about offending her.  Like she might say, "What?  You think I have GERMS or something?"

I'd respond with 'I don't swap spit with anyone but DH.  Get your own dingdangity drink and leave mine alone!'

Right? Even if she didn't have Hep C, drinking from someone else's bottle when you have *just* been provided with your own is just weird. Everyone has germs. Few people want to mix and match.
I would not be able to resist asking her why she did that. "I just gave you water. Why are you drinking mine??"
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 02:54:20 PM »
I asked DH about this and he said that it was a weird family thing and to quote, "I grew out of and she didn't."  I'm wondering if it isn't some weird domination thing.  DH thinks I should just stop drinking in the car, but it doesn't solve the restaurant incidents.

No, I don't like to share my bottle/glass with anyone - I'll share with DH if I have to.   I did research Hep C and the source says that contracting it through saliva is minimal, but still.

Yesterday, I provided her an unopened bottle and even helped her open it at a stop light.  She drank from the new bottle, then next I knew she was drinking from my half-empty bottle.  It usually happens when I have my attention on driving, so by the time I notice, the damage is done.

It's minimal, but it's possible, and that's enough for me.  I read that somewhere between 35% - 38% of people with Hep C had detectable amounts of the virus in their saliva after brushing their teeth.  That's a huge number.  Not worth the risk, IMO.  I'd just tell her flat out.

Jovismom

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 03:00:20 PM »

In a case like that, as soon as you notice she's done it, I would simply state "I've asked you not to drink out of my bottle.  Now I'll have to stop and buy a new one."  And then do that.  Make a big production of asking her which of the bottles she's had a drink from she would like to keep in the front with her.  Install the bottle that you've purchased into the front holder and caution her with "please don't drink out of this bottle or I'll have to stop yet again". 

I don't think any of the above is rude as long as you deliver it in a neutral tone.  I think it would serve to let her know that yes, you're serious about not wanting her (or anyone else you might say) to drink out of your bottle.

Personally, when I have someone traveling with me, I also keep a sharpie in my van so that I can put my first initial on the cap of my water bottle.

In a resturant if someone drank out of my glass I'd simply pass it to them and say "this is yours now, I'll order another".

MyFamily

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 03:21:13 PM »
I agree with others that you need to tell her to stop doing this.  You are looking for a way to tell someone politely to stop doing something rude, but really, I think you are doing her a bigger disservice by getting upset about this and not saying something.  If she continues, I'd stop picking her up and going out to eat with her.  If you don't want to do that, I'd also suggest:

In the car, keep your bottle by your side away from her.  I have a cup holder to the left of my steering wheel that I can pull out when I need it, but I've also just put a bottle between my seat and my door. 

When you are out to eat with her, only order water (you say she does this at restaurants if you order anything except for water).  It is annoying, especially if you want a soda, but it cuts down on her opportunities to drink your beverage.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

wheeitsme

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 03:48:31 PM »

In a case like that, as soon as you notice she's done it, I would simply state "I've asked you not to drink out of my bottle.  Now I'll have to stop and buy a new one."  And then do that.  Make a big production of asking her which of the bottles she's had a drink from she would like to keep in the front with her.  Install the bottle that you've purchased into the front holder and caution her with "please don't drink out of this bottle or I'll have to stop yet again". 

I don't think any of the above is rude as long as you deliver it in a neutral tone.  I think it would serve to let her know that yes, you're serious about not wanting her (or anyone else you might say) to drink out of your bottle.

Personally, when I have someone traveling with me, I also keep a sharpie in my van so that I can put my first initial on the cap of my water bottle.

In a resturant if someone drank out of my glass I'd simply pass it to them and say "this is yours now, I'll order another".

I think you might need to do this.

...and the HepC thing totally went past me when I first read your OP and my response to it was still "Eewwww..."

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 03:54:04 PM »

I have truly never heard of this.  My sister's and I think nothing of taking a sip of each other's drinks, we've always joked that we were taught early on how to drink without backwash.  But would never, ever contemplate sharing a tooth brush.  That is just so gross beyond words. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 04:01:43 PM »
here ya go!

http://www.target.com/p/britax-child-cup-holder/-/A-13464031?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|13464031&CPNG=baby&ci_sku=13464031&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=

and absolutely, yes, say something. And point out the risk of her making YOU sick with an incurable disease.

Get a little bit pissed off about it, frankly.

BarensMom

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 04:53:37 PM »
Thanks, all.  I will look into the drink cup holder.  After she "contaminated" both soda bottles, I bought another bottle and shoved it between my seat and the door.  It felt weird, but, dang it all, I wanted to drink ALL my Diet Coke.

Someone explained to me one time that, for most heavy drug users, her behavioral and emotional age is that of when she started using, in her case, 12.  So it makes it tricky to call her out, because we never know if she'll react as an adult (62) or as an over-emotional preteen.  She acknowledges that she has made bad life choices and has made a conscious effort to overcome her long-term addiction.

My DH's solution is to stop drinking in the car and/or stop going to restaurants with her.  He's not very attached to her, but is her only close relative.  It falls to me to keep up the communication and, except for this issue, hasn't been a problem for me (as long as she stays straight).  I'm going to see her next week and I'll try the above suggestions.  I'll update post-visit.

kckgirl

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 05:10:57 PM »
In my doors, there is a space to store small items like maps with a drink holder at the end (it's built into the door, under the arm rest). If you don't have one, I'd do exactly as you did and stick it between the seat and the door. It would probably be easier if you did get a portable cup holder that you can bring out when you're driving with her, or you could simply put your drink in the trunk when you stop to pick her up.

In restaurants, I would absolutely put my hand on it if I saw her reaching and tell her it's yours and she needs to drink her own.
Maryland

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 07:46:42 PM »

I got the heebee geebees reading that *SHUDDER*