News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 22, 2017, 09:29:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not the waiter  (Read 5998 times)

Ceallach

• This Is It
Not the waiter
« on: August 30, 2012, 09:48:58 PM »
I went to an upmarket cafe for lunch. It was table service, but self-seating.

When I walked through the seating area to take a seat, I was surprised to see a lady staring at me and waving but also clicking her fingers. It took me awhile to realize she must have mistaken me for the waitress.

I just gave her a weird look and sat down.  It was actually a little disconcerting. I checked, and none of the waitstaff look like me. I was in a black cardigan so I guess dark clothing was enough?  She kind of glared at me as I sat down, as if she still wasn't quite convinced.

Of course, it then took 10min for an actual waitress to show up to take my order, so eventually I understood where she was coming from!    So I went from thinking "crazy lady" to "desperate lady". Next time maybe I should just start taking orders, we might all get food faster!

So that's my mistaken identity for the day... I've seen it in sitcoms and rom com movies, but never in real life!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Sophia

• xi
Re: Not the waiter
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 10:05:40 PM »
I had that happen to me once in a trendy bar.  I got up to go the bathroom.  I was wearing a fuzzy sweater. so not remotely waitress-y.  Some yuppies (did not fit in) flagged me down and asked if they could sit at a table and they pointed to a table with drink glasses on it.  From the way they were talking, I figured out they thought I was a waitress.  I said Yes, they could if they paid me $20.  This was mumble-mumble decades ago so $20 was worth even more then.  They gave me a $20 bill and I gathered the empty glasses, put them on the bar and then went to the bathroom.  When I got back I told the bartender what happened and gave him $10.  I felt so cool and "in"

AylaM

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 11:02:07 PM »
Never been mistaken for a waiter, but:

My favorite color, also a color I look nice in, is blue.
I like polo shirts for being just a little dressier in my day-to-day wear
I shop at Walmart.  A lot.
I get stopped for help.  A lot.
Generally I can help someone, so I do.

That being said.  I was once asked for help navigating a grocery store by a uniformed store employee. Thought that was odd. Granted, it was more because of the mistaken assumption that Apple Butter is more like Apple Sauce than jelly. 

kglory

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 11:23:21 PM »
This thread reminds me of this -- an oldie but goodie!

http://improveverywhere.com/2006/04/23/best-buy/

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 11:42:13 PM »
Never been mistaken for a waiter, but:

My favorite color, also a color I look nice in, is blue.
I like polo shirts for being just a little dressier in my day-to-day wear
I shop at Walmart.  A lot.
I get stopped for help.  A lot.
Generally I can help someone, so I do.

That being said.  I was once asked for help navigating a grocery store by a uniformed store employee. Thought that was odd. Granted, it was more because of the mistaken assumption that Apple Butter is more like Apple Sauce than jelly.

Way back at my first high school job, I worked in the basement of a bookstore packing mail orders.  Occasionally I would need to venture up to the actual shop to look for a book (most of our stock was in the basement but occasionally it was already all shelved). 

It amazed me how often people would ask me for assistance.  Why?  Because I wasn't wearing a uniform, and they couldn't have seen me come through the staff only door (it would happen on the opposite side of the shop).   Somehow they apparently could just tell that I belonged there.... either that, or they just just asked *anybody* they saw.    Because I did work there, I could occasionally help them, although more often than not I would need to go find an actual, uniformed, shop floor person to assist!   (Of which there was no shortage, which is one of the reasons it was strange that they'd ask the casually dressed teenager instead of a person in the blue shirt and nametag!)
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Jules1980

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 12:03:14 AM »
I was in a grocery store the other day, holding several produce items and looking at a display of kitchen knives when a gentleman came up and asked me, "Do you all sell loose leaf paper?"

Now, the employees of this store wear red polo shirts and khaki pants.  I was wearing my barney purple scrubs.  I have no ideal why he would think I worked there but it amused me so I replied,  "I think they do.  School supplies are a few rows that way." Pointed back towards the entrance.

He then asked me which row.  I gave up.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 01:39:11 AM »
This is why I don't wear a red shirt and khakis to Target.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Pippen

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 04:32:21 AM »
My friend is reporter TV news presenter. When she first started her career she used to present an arts program and when she left for overseas she was showing us a compilation tape of bloopers and pranks her workmates had made for her. One hilarious scene was her in the back of a show doing her spiel when this old guy wanders into frame, handles her a glass and asks her to go and get him another drink like she was the waitress, then wanders out of the shot back to his seat.

Cleargleam

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 04:51:28 AM »
Waving and clicking her fingers? seriously? Desperate or not, I hope she had the grace to realize you were a patron and to be mortified at her behavior. Somebody clicks their fingers at me and I will be looking for a ruler to slap across their knuckles.

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 05:34:07 AM »
I once wore a dark green t shirt to a local garden center/specialty shop.   I became instantly popular. ::)

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 06:42:45 AM »
I've had that happen to me a few times.  If I know where something is, I'll usually point it out.  Most of the time, though, I don't know and I just say, "Sorry, I don't work here."

I once had a former customer recognize me in a deli, though.  It was across the street from the store I used to work at, and she asked me if "my store" carried such-and-such item.  I hadn't worked there in over a year, and they had changed things around since I left.  I told her truthfully that I wasn't sure, and that I had left over a year ago.  She was okay with that, but I was secretly annoyed.  I was in one of my "please don't let anyone talk to me" moods, and all I wanted was a sandwich. XD

weeblewobble

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 07:03:40 AM »
Apparently, I must REALLY look like a librarian because on several visits to my local public library, I have had other patrons approach me with questions. I spend a lot of time there so I can usually answer them. But on the rare occasion I can't, I direct them to the front desk, where the librarians are.

The library staff thinks this is pretty funny, and assures me that it's probably I seem very comfortable in the stacks or because patrons have seen me at the library before.  But the same thing happened when I visited a research library at the local university.  I was wandering around the stacks and a student approached me and demanded help.  Nothing I could do could convince him I wasn't a university employee, until a real librarian approached and helped him.

I must be projecting Yarnspinner. :)

rose red

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 08:42:28 AM »
I did this to some poor guy once.  Afterwards I heard him tell his friend "That's the third person who did that."

I bet he never wore that outfit at that store again.

Sharnita

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 08:43:21 AM »
I did this to some poor guy once.  Afterwards I heard him tell his friend "That's the third person who did that."

I bet he never wore that outfit at that store again.

red shirt, khaki pants?

Jones

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 09:22:44 AM »
I was shopping at a small store once with my then-tiny infant son. I pushed the cart around with him in it.

Suddenly a man whom I had heard constantly berating his long-suffering (I assume) wife all over the store approached me while I looked over some laundry baskets. "Do you carry folding chairs?"

The English language being what it is, I had a mental picture of picking up and carrying a stack of folding chairs. "W-what?"
"Do you carry folding chairs here?"

I gave him a blank stare as a tried to recall whether I'd ever seen folding chairs in that store before. He then looked at my cart and said "OH. You're one of us! Never mind!" and ran off.

Thing is...the people in that store all wear smocks of a certain color. The clothing I was wearing was on the opposite end of the spectrum. He may have been colorblind, but I wasn't wearing a loose smock, either.
A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems. CS Lewis