News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 13, 2017, 01:13:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not the waiter  (Read 6289 times)

otterwoman

Re: Not the waiter
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 09:28:20 AM »
Our village hold a fair every summer. Local merchants, clubs and organizations set up booths for fair goers. My SCA group (Medieval Recreation) sets up a booth. I was in my medieval garb, a long light blue dress with a belt. My hip length hair was down and loose.

I wandered over to the Amish booth to buy cinnamon rolls (yummy!!). While I was looking around for the gentleman to pay him, another woman kept trying to pay ME for her purchases. I had to tell her several times that it wasn't my booth, I'm not Amish. 

rose red

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 09:55:14 AM »
I did this to some poor guy once.  Afterwards I heard him tell his friend "That's the third person who did that."

I bet he never wore that outfit at that store again.

red shirt, khaki pants?

Yep.  ;D

SpottedPony

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 10:38:20 AM »
Apparently I look like someone who works at WalMart.  Just the other day my parents and I were at our local Walmart.  I was looking at some merchandise there at the front of the store when this man asked me where the automotive department was.  I didn't know, this store is going through a major renovation, so I directed him to the greeter who was standing a few yards away. 

Though, I have worked in this WalMart and three others as a vender, so I may have looked vagually familar.  Though it has been a few years. 

While I was working in the store, I often had customers come up to me and ask for directions, if I knew where what they were looking for was, I'd direct them, otherwise I'd direct them to the nearest store employee.  I'd get asked even though I was wearing a tag that had a company name on it that wasn't the store name.  The real kicker was the time someone asked for help and I directed her to the store employee who was working in the next asle.  Her reply, "Oh yes, I saw her, but she was working and I didn't want to bother her."  Ah, I was working too, and I didn't know the store as well as someone who worked there full time.

Spotted Pony

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 12:13:22 PM »
This is why I don't wear a red shirt and khakis to Target.

You know, I seldom wear that color combination - I only own one pair of khaki pants, and maybe two red shirts, and none of them are in my favorite things group. Yet, every time I do manage to drag them out of the closet, I end up in Target - and I maybe shop there once a month lately.

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 12:27:20 PM »
I remember once when we were shopping as a family I had to go to the bathroom.  As I was going to the bathroom I thought to myself, "it will be easy to find DH since as normal he is wearing an Orange shirt."  It wasn't until I was looking for him that I thought "Duhhh, this is Home Depot.  He is basically in camo." 

WonderWoman

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 12:38:34 PM »
In my late teens and 20s nearly every time I shopped people would assume I worked in whatever store I was in at the time. It was ironic because I couldn't seem to get a job in any of the stores.

Once someone said, "Oh you're dressed so nicely I thought you were working here." I thought that was a very graceful way out of the situation.

Truluv86

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2012, 08:58:01 PM »
I've been on both sides of this situation, but I don't remember anyone mistaking me as a waitress before, just a staff member at places. I've learned not to go shopping at grocery stores, etc. while in a uniform. It doesn't matter if my uniform looks nothing like the store employees' uniforms or even if my uniform has a company tag or logo on it, I can still get mistaken for an employee of wherever I'm at. If I know how to find what someone is looking for, of course I'll help them, but it always seems even more awkward when I don't know how to help them and have to explain I don't work there. 

One time I found particularly funny was when I was at the drive-thru of the golden arches, at the second window waiting on my food. As the girl handed me my order she asked me if I would cover her shift later that week. Now in her defense, I had actually worked at that store before, but only for about 2-3 months, over a year ago. Plus, I'm sure I had come through there more than once in "other restaurant's uniform" before and she was even a customer of "other restaurant" so had seen me working there right across the street from her store. That was quite strange, but luckily I got to drive quickly away after my explanation to her.

I had something similar, but also strange happen to me recently. There is also a BK in our town. I don't like BK, so rarely go there, but I had a coupon for their delicious smoothies. I was all dressed up for my other job, wearing makeup, with my hair down (in other words, exactly the opposite of my sweaty, un-made up, ill-fitting uniformed self while working at job 2) when I went through the drive-thru.  I was busy watching something in the opposite direction of the restaurant and window as I waited for them to hand me my order. When the window opened I turned to get my smoothie and the girl (whom I didn't recognize) said "Hey, you work at 'other restaurant' don't you? We were just wondering if you guys carry any soups!" That really caught me off guard. I still don't think I've seen that girl where I work and wonder how she recognized me and also knew where she remembered me from.

Adelaide

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2012, 10:02:36 PM »
I have had a few cases of mistaken identity. The first was when I went back to my old high school and the vice principal yelled at me to get back to class. I stared at him and said that I had graduated two years prior, to which he gave a hasty "Oh, okay, sorry about that." In his defense, I looked like I was 16.

The other day a waiter asked me if I was "ready for school to start back up". I thought it was strange that he would assume I was going to school, as I'm 22, but I replied that yes, I was. He said "Well, that's good to hear young lady, it's coming whether you want it to or not. What grade are you going to be in?" I said "Uh...law school?" He fell all over himself apologizing, but I replied that it was fine. In his defense, I still look like I'm 16.

Once I walked into a Dillard's while wearing black pants, a button-down, and a bluetooth headset. I must have had 10 people come up to me that day. Another day I accidentally walked into a Best Buy wearing a blue polo and got asked a couple of questions. One day when I worked at Wal-Mart I clipped my name tag to the bottom of my shirt and carried around a big flower pot. No one asked me for help that day. It's kind of a jerk move, yes, but I had a manager breathing down my neck about fixing the four aisles of school supplies. Wal-Mart's policy of "always lead the customers to whatever they've asked for" doesn't mesh well with "you must keep your zone spotless" when you have people demanding that you take them to things that are on the other side of the store.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 10:09:16 PM »
Goodness...this happens to me practically where ever I'm shopping.

Walmart, Publix, the library, restaraunts, book stores, Any store in the mall.  Its a curse  ;) that I ooze great customer service or something.  I end up helping people so frequently in my local Publix, that one of the managers offered me a job...he was dissappointed that I have a really good job and didn't need one, but its an open offer if I ever need a second job.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Jocelyn

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 08:08:17 PM »
I was once on an airplane where takeoff was being delayed. Several of us who were seated at the back had gotten up and were standing in the aisle, complaining about how poorly the airline was handling it. One woman was dressed in navy blue and white, and was soothingly agreeing with everyone. Suddenly she said, 'Do you all think I work for the airline? I don't!' We all shamefacedly confessed that yes, we had all thought she was a flight attendant...

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 08:43:23 PM »
Goodness...this happens to me practically where ever I'm shopping.

Walmart, Publix, the library, restaraunts, book stores, Any store in the mall.  Its a curse  ;) that I ooze great customer service or something.  I end up helping people so frequently in my local Publix, that one of the managers offered me a job...he was dissappointed that I have a really good job and didn't need one, but its an open offer if I ever need a second job.

You must look friendly and approachable!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

GratefulMaria

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 09:33:12 PM »
My home landline oozes customer service!  Our phone number is one digit off from the public library, and also one (different) digit off from a small-engine repair shop.  I field a couple of questions a month.  One time a frail-sounding gentleman left a voicemail that his mower wouldn't start and he didn't know what to do and could "Bobby" call him; I didn't have the heart to leave him hanging and called back so he'd know he hadn't reached the shop.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 09:53:41 PM »
This is timely because Dragon*Con (huge science fiction convention) is going on this weekend, even though I'm not there this year  :'(

Anyway, I've volunteered for several years there now as a member of tech staff.  It's a huge group of volunteers (~200 people, and that's just one volunteer department!) and tech encompasses getting all the equipment to work, setting up and taking down the stage for the bands at night, loading people into and out of panels, etc..  Needless to say, there's a wide variety of jobs within the department, some with more responsibility than others.

However, there are a limited number of handheld radios each year.  Not everyone gets a radio.  The top people all get them, but beyond that it's really more a case of who is going to be running around among different rooms and hotels.  Newbies (like I was my first two years) often end up as gophers, and usually have headsets to make it easier to keep in touch.  Many of the more experienced people don't need them because they're staying in one room all day, so having a radio in no way denotes any sort of status or assumed knowledge.

Oh. My. Word.  Having a radio headset makes you a question magnet!  That's fine now that I have a few years under my belt and know where everything is, but it was a real pain when I first started because I had no clue how to answer the approximately eight million questions I'd get every day.  I pretty much had to take off the radio and hide it under my shirt when I crossed the crowded lobbies, which kind of negates the point of having one  ::)  I'll admit, I like dashing around with the headset on and looking important  ;D but the questions do slow things down.  I don't mind questions from con-goers, but my first few years I would have loved to slap some sense into the handful of volunteers who insisted on asking the radio-toting newbies questions when the experienced room leads (the people who actually knew the answers) were in the same room!

Miss March

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
This thread reminds me of an episode of the "Big Bang Theory" when Sheldon goes into a "Best Buy" type of store, and everyone thinks he works there and he falls right into it, answering everyone's questions and placing special orders on the store computer.
I assume you heard the way she spoke to me at dinner.
Of course, but how does it help to answer rudeness with rudeness?             --Downton Abbey

RegionMom

• ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 08:31:10 AM »
"1 2 3 4 is not a good password.  Any child could hack that!"
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.